Router connected to splitter gives no signal

Jan 6, 2019
Hi!

I wanted to get some better singnal in my PC today by using old router as a switch. Because of how my apartment looks like and where everything is placed i cant connect my PC directly to the Router, thats why i tried using switch-router. I did everything to convert the old router to the switch-router, and it did work on my PC trough Ethernet but the router in my living room didnt work. I could connect my phone etc trough wifi but it gave no internet and the router light was red.

So to clear it all up because my writing might be really bad, the router in my living room doesnt get internet trought switch but devices connected with Ethernet do. What could be the problem of the router wifi not working?

Have a nice day!

Solution
Things do not work that way. Your ISP gave you a single account, with single IP address, so whoever manages to connect first, grabs that IP address.

You should rework your connection: Leave main router connected to the ISP, and use your "router-switch" connected as LAN-LAN. Disable all services on that router-switch, assign it an IP address from main router' IP space.
Jan 6, 2019

Thanks for the answer. I understand that my writing might not be so understandable, so I made a picture in paint to clear it all up haha. I also followed this tutorial to make a router into a switch https://www.wikihow.tech/Use-a-Router-As-a-Switch

https://imgur.com/a/4yRowQv

Things do not work that way. Your ISP gave you a single account, with single IP address, so whoever manages to connect first, grabs that IP address.

You should rework your connection: Leave main router connected to the ISP, and use your "router-switch" connected as LAN-LAN. Disable all services on that router-switch, assign it an IP address from main router' IP space.

Solution
Jan 6, 2019

Hi! Thanks for the answer. Well, it would work but it would've been unnecessary since i can just run a longer cable to my PC instead of using the router-switch. But the way my apartment is and where the ISP and router is located I still have to run the cable trough a wall then, and i just wanted to somehow skip that part. Well thanks for the answer tho, I will pick your answer as a solution so it might help someone in the future. Bye!