Question Router Dropping Connection 3-10 secs very frequently.

May 17, 2018
Hey!
I've had this problem for a while now, almost 2-3 years, and its gotten really tiring lately...
Things is, connection drops for a few secs somestimes tend to go as far as 15 secs (which is pain)
It doesn't really affect while browsing, but with online games, it really is annoying to deal with, specially since you get one per minute or something like that, the times that the drops come are random most of the time....
I noticed that when internet drops, the "lan" led on both modem and router (on router is "WAN")
I tried different cables, and i noticed that the drops and the led turns off more constantly with some of the power adapters...
I can't pinpoint what is the problem... Any suggestions?

peptobismal

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
Ummm... do you have any kind of Beamforming on your router? If this has been going on for 2-3 years... I would say either your router is not properly configured or your modem is due for an upgrade assuming that you meant the LED for both are turning off.

If the modem's LEDs look like they are resetting (all go off and then sequentially blink before going solid or rapid) then you are probably looking at the modem. How have you not talked to your ISP about this in the past 2-3 years? You got to speak up and make them give you the service you pay for.

May 17, 2018
I... Don't think my router has beamforming... Its not all the leds, its only the LAN (modem) and WAN (router) which are related... How can i know if my router is configured correctly?...

peptobismal

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
Well... there could be a few issues. You can check your router's control panel. (Usually 192.168.1.1 in your browser, otherwise you will have to run ipconfig from the command prompt and the default gateway is your router's address.) You could try restoring factory defaults and see if that helps, but if your modem is losing connection then your router can't do diddly squat to help.

There's no easy way to say, but I would assume that if you have cable Internet service that your outlet is not a high enough frequency, if I'm not mistaken? Usually the coaxial needs to run at a certain frequency that is higher than your standard TV. So if you switched your modem from where it was originally installed 2-3 years ago, to a different room you might not be getting a strong enough signal to keep your with a solid connection... not too sure, but I know that if your Coaxial outlet is not up to par this would be why you are probably seeing your modem losing connection.

Have you ever had a technician come look at it? If it's not something like the outlet then they will probably replace the whole modem for you. I mean really your problem is most likely the modem and you should contact your Internet Service Provider and demand some answers or someone come out and fix it.

May 17, 2018
I mean, i live in a country where all of those "services" you should receive, well... You don't... And to be honest, i don't really have a lot of money to buy a new modem... Idk, it really comes down to replacing it... Recently a new problem appeared, and make me see things in a new light...

You see, i was considering about making effort towards changing the modem, but with some recent events, the modem started to fail in a certain way, not only does the "LAN" led which means the connection with the router and modem is functional, but the "Link" Led goes off too... Link meaning the connection between the modem and the ADSL is not working... But... That only happened with one of the AC Adapter, i have other 3 AC adapters, which the Link works, but the LAN led going off and me being without internet is even often than before, so even youtube videos take a while to load...

Summarizing, is either have really shitty internet, or no internet at all...

Help.