[SOLVED] Router Ethernet output

Solution
You are getting close to the only option left is to replace the router you have eliminated almost all possibilities.

If you have a second machine copy files between them watching the resource monitor network tab and see what rates you get. This local copy only uses the lan ports on the router.

kanewolf

Titan
It depends on the router. The LAN ethernet ports are always the same or faster than the WAN port on a home router. If the router has a 100Mbit WAN port, the LAN ports will be 100 or 1000. If the router has a 1000Mbit (GigE) WAN port then the LAN ports will be 1000Mbit.
WIFI "throughput" numbers are so exaggerated that you can't directly compare them. An "AC1900" router has multiple radios and the "1900" in the name is the sum of the different radios. Real WIFI throughput NEVER reaches the advertised numbers. The best you will see is 1/2 the advertised. The real throughput will also be limited by the WAN speed on the router.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The answer is "it depends". If you are asking about internet access speed, then the speed is limited to the speed of your provisioned service.

If you are asking about speed between two hardwired devices connected to the same switch (router), then no.

If you are talking about wireless and wired connections, then yes.

GWT

Mar 10, 2019
The answer is "it depends". If you are asking about internet access speed, then the speed is limited to the speed of your provisioned service.

If you are asking about speed between two hardwired devices connected to the same switch (router), then no.

If you are talking about wireless and wired connections, then yes.
Thanks for your response my WiFi speed 200 mbps but my Ethernet to my pc is 38 mbps

GWT

Mar 10, 2019
It depends on the router. The LAN ethernet ports are always the same or faster than the WAN port on a home router. If the router has a 100Mbit WAN port, the LAN ports will be 100 or 1000. If the router has a 1000Mbit (GigE) WAN port then the LAN ports will be 1000Mbit.
WIFI "throughput" numbers are so exaggerated that you can't directly compare them. An "AC1900" router has multiple radios and the "1900" in the name is the sum of the different radios. Real WIFI throughput NEVER reaches the advertised numbers. The best you will see is 1/2 the advertised. The real throughput will also be limited by the WAN speed on the router.
Thanks I have a D link 866l router the lan is 1 gigabyte but the speed is 75% slower than WiFi

GWT

Mar 10, 2019
Have a 3 month old dell desktop my WiFi or Ethernet hook up from router is slow ,down speed is about 15mbps up speed is about 38. Mbps.Have 200mbps service if I hook up direct to modem my speed triples.Cable company and router company tell me they think it’s the pc.I am puzzled

I would try a new cable. Make sure you get cat5e or cat6 if it is cheaper. It needs to be pure copper, no CCA and do not buy thin or flat cable.

Cables can be really strange when they fail. They work on some devices....ie straight to the ISP modem...but not all.

There is almost no setting on ethernet you want to make. Leave them all default and make sure it is set to auto. Since that is likely what you have it leaves the cable. It could be drivers but it is not very likely.

GWT

Mar 10, 2019
I would try a new cable. Make sure you get cat5e or cat6 if it is cheaper. It needs to be pure copper, no CCA and do not buy thin or flat cable.

Cables can be really strange when they fail. They work on some devices....ie straight to the ISP modem...but not all.

There is almost no setting on ethernet you want to make. Leave them all default and make sure it is set to auto. Since that is likely what you have it leaves the cable. It could be drivers but it is not very likely.
Thanks I swapped the cable with a new one ,but had no luck.

You are getting close to the only option left is to replace the router you have eliminated almost all possibilities.

If you have a second machine copy files between them watching the resource monitor network tab and see what rates you get. This local copy only uses the lan ports on the router.

Solution