Router keeps getting T3 and T4 errors and resetting

Prosifitrix

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
How do i fix this? I can't keep dealing with a router that resets on its own every day or two. I am getting this text in my router event log:

Time Priority Description
Mon Jul 14 11:41:49 2014 Notice (6) TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=b0:77:ac:92:7c:2e;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:22:04:0c;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Time Not Established Notice (6) WiFi Interface [wl0] set to Channel 6 (Side-Band Channel:N/A) - Reason:INIT
Mon Jul 14 11:40:05 2014 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=b0:77:ac:92:7c:2e;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:22:04:0c;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Mon Jul 14 10:41:55 2014 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=b0:77:ac:92:7c:2e;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:22:04:0c;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Mon Jul 14 10:41:35 2014 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=b0:77:ac:92:7c:2e;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:22:04:0c;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Mon Jul 14 04:05:37 2014 Critical (3) Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=b0:77:ac:92:7c:2e;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:22:04:0c;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Mon Jul 14 04:05:37 2014 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=b0:77:ac:92:7c:2e;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:22:04:0c;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

I looked it up and this is what I came up with :

T3 ( Ranging Request Retries Exhausted )

Explanation: The cable modem has sent 16 Ranging Request (RNG-REQ) messages without receiving a Ranging Response (RNG-RSP) message in reply from the CMTS. The cable modem is therefore resetting its cable interface and restarting the registration process. This typically is caused by noise on the upstream that causes the loss of MAC-layer messages. Noise could also lower the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) on the upstream to a point where the cable modem's power level is insufficient to transmit any messages. If the cable modem cannot raise its upstream transmit power level to a level that allows successful communication within the maximum timeout period, it resets its cable interface and restarts the registration process. This error message is DOCSIS event message is R03.0, Ranging Request.

T4 ( Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received )

Explanation: The cable modem did not receive a station maintenance opportunity in which to transmit a Ranging Request (RNG-REQ) message within the T4 timeout period (30 to 35 seconds). The cable modem is resetting its cable interface and restarting the registration process. Typically, this indicates an occasional, temporary loss of service, but if the problem persists, check for possible service outages or maintenance activity on this particular headend system. This error message is DOCSIS event message is R04.0, Ranging Request.

There was no system overload, at the time only two devices were using the network.

Solution
Generally this is caused by cabling issues. It could be the ISP or the modem defective but not as likely. You want to be connected to the very first splitter as the signal enters the house. You need to be sure this splitter is rated for data some cheap ones can exhibit random data loss like you are seeing. I would disassemble and clean all the connections. If there is any chance they can get wet be sure the rubber gaskets are in good condition.

It only takes a tiny amount of moisture if you are marginal on the uplink power back to the ISP. You may have to ask the ISP to tell you how much signal level they are receiving from your modem since your modem only knows what it sends not any loss in the path.
Generally this is caused by cabling issues. It could be the ISP or the modem defective but not as likely. You want to be connected to the very first splitter as the signal enters the house. You need to be sure this splitter is rated for data some cheap ones can exhibit random data loss like you are seeing. I would disassemble and clean all the connections. If there is any chance they can get wet be sure the rubber gaskets are in good condition.

It only takes a tiny amount of moisture if you are marginal on the uplink power back to the ISP. You may have to ask the ISP to tell you how much signal level they are receiving from your modem since your modem only knows what it sends not any loss in the path.

Solution

Prosifitrix

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014

Thanks for the response. I decided to take my router downstairs where it can also be plugged in, and that looks like it's the very first splitter so my connection's been excellent today. My router isn't capable of partitioning data but if yours does it might work too. That's what I drew from reading the logs, correct me if I'm wrong.

You could also get a new router, because Motorola still isn't very high tier.