Question Router LAN port throttling connection ?

Feb 11, 2022
Hello, for a while now I have been using a direct connection from a MoCa adapter to my PC for internet access and it's been working really well (About 400/400). Recently, I got a Nighthawk XR1000 router for wireless connections to my Raspberry Pi's, so I plugged that into the MoCa adapter, and my PC into the router, ....and my network speed has dropped significantly to around 90/90. I have tried swapping the cat 5 cables for cat 6 to no avail. I have Verizon FiOS in home, which is why the PC is able to be plugged into the MoCa adapter directly, the FiOS modem still handles DHCP. Not really sure what to do, seems like the ports are being capped but I can't figure out how to uncap it....?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks,
C

The first thing you need to find which cable is causing the issues. Does the router have a display that shows the speed of the ports. It could be either the cable between moca and the router or between the pc and the router. You should be able to see the speed the pc is running in one of the status screens for the ethernet.

When you around 90 numbers this is almost always a bad cable that is running at 100mbps. There is almost no software involved in this speed negotiation it is all hardware. You want to leave your pc set to AUTO for the speed. It is unlikely the router can be set but you want that auto if there is any option.

Cables are really strange when they don't work. A cable can work on some machines and not others. Some machines are just more tolerant of a cable that is slightly out of spec. Now any cable can get damaged but there is a massive problem with fake cables being sold now days.
You need cable that is pure copper (no CCA) and has wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cable). It doesn't need to be anything more than cat5e to get full gigabit speeds unless you can get the other cables cheaper.

You could also try other ports on nighthawk. I assume you plugged the moca into the wan port. You can because you are running it as a AP you can use a lan port instead. The lan ports are basically a 5 port switch with one internal port going to the router chip. It is unlikely to make a difference. Ports seldom go bad and unless there is some kind of software bug the wan port is in effect bridged to the lan ports so there should be no difference.

Reactions: Chris.Calvo
Feb 11, 2022
Yup, you are absolutely right, weird how that wasn't caught when I was trying out the cat 6 cables, but the cable that came with the router was crap, switched it out and now my connection is much faster!

TRENDING THREADS