Router no valid IP problem and can't access login page

Soul_Hacker

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015
Hello everyone. I've run into a very annoying problem. I have a modem that was provided by my ISP and then after a while I purchased a WIFI router. It worked flawlessly for a year.

One day my internet abruptly stopped working, so I thought it mush be from the ISP's end. But later on I found that if I connected to the internet directly with my modem, it worked. This means, the internet would work only if I connected the LAN cable directly to my modem. If I tried connecting the LAN cable to router and then the router's cable to modem, it didn't work. This means, I could access the internet only by removing the router altogether.

Now, the thing is I took the router for RMA, but it worked on his PC. So, I brought it back and tried various other things.

I tired to login to my router's page. Couldn't do it even after 2-3 resets. It shows page not found.
Tried disabling IPV6
Troubleshooter shows that the router doesn't have valid IP configuration
pinging shows general failure

Tried running following commands
//start
ipconfig /release
pause
ipconfig /renew
pause
netsh winsock reset catalog
pause
netsh int ip reset reset.log
pause
//end

Still no effect

Whenever I connect the router, the network adapter shows identifying for a few moments, then it goes unidentified network shared realtek.

Right now I'm connected the internet directly through the modem.

Please guys help me out with this issue. I've already wasted a whole day trying out various things.

Edit: Here is my ipconfig/all
ipcongfig.png

misteriosly

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015
Well basically your router DHCP is turned off, that's why you cant access the page and that's why you get APIPA IP address.
Either reset the router(check in manual, there should be a hole where you can stick a paperclip for 10-15 seconds) or since its wifi, connect via WiFI and visit router homepage, and check settings.

Soul_Hacker

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015

Like I already mentioned, I've already reset it numerous times but the result is same---It shows page not found.

misteriosly

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015

Either you don't reset it correctly or the port you are using has burned.
Can you connect to it via WIFI ? You can do it even from your phone(access the router page).
Try to change the port you are using ?
Maker/Model of this router ?

Soul_Hacker

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015

So I tried connecting to the login page through my phone, and it worked. By default the PPPoE was selected, I changed it to DHCP mode and entered the advanced setup. I didn't change anything else. After that the internet started working on my phone, but still it was showing the same problem on the PC. Ping failure and no valid IP configuration.
I then rebooted the PC and tried to connect the internet on my phone, but now it won't work even on the phone. The good thing is I can access my router's login page through my phone.

Any idea what I might do in the router setup page that will allow me to use the net on both PC and phone.

The router is TENDA W316R

Edit: The WAN status on router setup page keeps on showing connecting.

slyverine

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
Hey friend. It seems something is wrong with your dhcp on your computer or router, although it shows signs it's working since your phone can connect.

I can see your tenda router is on the 192.168.0.0 network. So in order for your pc to login to your router and operate while connected to it, you need to be in the same network. You will need to set a static ip for now.This is how http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/

Set your ip to something like 192.168.0.10, the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 , default gateway to 192.168.0.1(this should be your router's default ip according to it's manual) and then dns to 192.168.0.1.

Do this and let us know !

Soul_Hacker

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015

So I tried changing the ip and DNS to the one you mentioned. I did that and put my router login page address "192.168.0.1" in browser's address bar. It kept on loading for some moments and then showed time out. I rebooted the modem/pc but it showed the same time out thing.
Any other idea?

slyverine

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
try another browser.You still don't have internet on the pc and have internet on the phone?
Also, try pinging the adress 192.168.0.1 and see if it responds. If it doesn't respond, try downloading on your phone the app named "fing" (it's on android at least), connect to the wifi and the app has a feature called "traceroute", from that you can see the ip adress of your router(must be the 1st ip shown).

Soul_Hacker

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015

I've tried Opera, Chrome, IE and Firefox; the result is same.
No, No, Internet worked on phone only for a limited amount of time. Right now both PC and phone have no internet. I can still access the login through my phone, but the internet doesn't connect.

Right now, I'm using the internet by directly connecting the LAN cable to my motherboard's LAN port and to my modem's port.
I'll try pinging 192.168.0.1 and post the result in a few minutes.

slyverine

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
hmmm ok, try to do 2 pings also from your phone that can connect. One to ping the ip 8.8.8.8 and one to ping the adress www.google.com , to see if it is a dns error. I hope while you do the tests that your router is connected to the modem :p

Soul_Hacker

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015

So I did the pings from my PC to router:
ping.png

And then it went on like that "ping failure".
OK, I'll try that from my phone.
Of course, I connected the router to my modem. That's why it takes me so much time to reply to the comment.:D
One more thing I should mention, when I remove the cables from the router and connect the modem directly, it doesn't work instantly. I shows the same error: invalid ip config and ping failure. Then I restart the PC and the modem, after that I'm able to connect to the internet. Is it somehow related to the router?

Edit: i pinged from my phone.
8.8.8.8 and google.com both give timeout
But 192.168.0.1 doesn't give. It successfully received all the 4 packets with 0% loss.

misteriosly

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015
Did you tried to change port in which you put your PC ?
Seems like router problem TBH.
Can you reset it to factory settings from Phone ?
Wan status is busy, meaning you may also have ISP problem, but its possible to be fully router related.
Do you have a spare network cable that you can try ?

P.S. Also try the following : turn pc off, unplug it from the power cable and remove Lan cable for 2 minutes, then try again.

Soul_Hacker

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015

Yes, I've tried changing cables and ports but nothing changed.
I can reach the setup page from my phone.
I don't think it is ISP problem as I can connect by using a modem directly. Only when I connect router with modem, the problem arises.

Edit: I've already tried rebooting the PC and unplugging all the cables

misteriosly

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015

Not rebooting, but turning it off and unplugging it from the power.
Sometimes lan cards go nuts from power fluctuations, which could produce such an effect.
And yes, since you can use it connected directly, not an ISP problem.

Soul_Hacker

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015

I've already tried that. I unplugged all the cables and the power adapters of both modem and router. I even unplugged PSU cables. Still no effect.

Soul_Hacker

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015

But the thing is I took it to the pace where I purchased it. The guy connected it to his PC using the same adapter. It worked without any issue. google, youtube everything was working. He even showed me the login page.
That's why I think it's not the router problem.

slyverine

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
xmmm seems like your router lans are malfunctioning, since the phone can connect wirelessly and everything else that is done by the lan like give dhcp to pc , connect to it and connect to modem fail. Either try upgrading the firmware via a laptop, which can connect with wireless, or replace the router. You may still have warranty as well.

Edit: I just show that you took the router to the place you purchased it, sorry just woke up :p Stick to the firmware update if it has any. I insist something is wrong with your lan... I would question the cable types but as you said it was working, so it mustn't be that...

Soul_Hacker

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015

I'll give firmware-update a try.
One thing I wanted to ask is that could my LAN port on motherboard be bad? I mean my modem works fine when connected to it, but is there a possibility that it's bad so it's not working for router?

slyverine

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
well, you said if you connect your pc with modem you are fine,so your pc lan must be fine. Also when you connect with your phone the internet it's working, meaning that there is something like no connection from the router to the modem.Lend a friend's laptop and try connection via lan to be 200% sure if you want. The modem is bridged and has no ip right?