Router not appearing on available networks

Nov 15, 2018
Hi, trying to help a neighbour with this issue.

He is with TalkTalk, has been using the internet ok for the last year or so. Since yesterday, the router does not appear on the list of available networks. The router is switched on and the correct light is set, after restarting. This is what we have tried.

1) Restarting the router
2) Tried using other laptops
3) Replacing the filter
4) Replacing the cable from the filter to the router
5) Plugging in the router to another telephone socket in the house, using a new filter
6) Connecting an ethernet cable from the back of the router to the laptops

None of the above have helped, i.e. we still don't see the TalkTalk connection on any of the laptops.

TalkTalk support have checked the line and all is OK. The telephone works fine.

Last resort is TalkTalk have offered to send out an engineer for £65 to check things out, but am wondering if we have missed something obvious?

My limited knowledge makes me think there must be something wrong with the router itself and am really hoping to save my neighbour the cost of the call out to be told that.

I could take my router next door tomorrow and see if this is visible once plugged into his telephone sockets/cables, etc, which may then confirm his router is the problem, but not sure what else to try.

Any suggestions, please?

BadAsAl

Distinguished
I would ask them to send you a new router.
If they won't then ask them if you can do a factory reset on the router. This will set everything back the way it was new.
If this doesn't work then you might have to have them send a tech out who will then replace the router if it has gone bad.