Question Router page says 403 forbidden ?

Ainez

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020
Hi,
The 192.168.0.1 displays this msg. It was working the last time, about a week ago. Now, cannot open the page. What do I do!?

Edit: So, this is how it happened -
Cloned mac address on router for second pc. It worked fine. Then installed additional hdd on that, booted from it, and discovered 192.168.0.1 says 403 forbidden and no internet, the second pc has internet working though, just 192,168,0,1 doesn't open. However, The page opens on the first pc, the one with the real mac address, working internet of course. Do I have to hard reset the router? Will that cause any issue?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
What specifically are you trying to do?

Why does the second PC require a cloned MAC address? Especially the MAC from a router?

What make and model router do you have? Who has full admin rights to that router? You will need help from that person.

Ainez

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020

Why does the second PC require a cloned MAC address? Especially the MAC from a router?

What make and model router do you have? Who has full admin rights to that router? You will need help from that person.
This is a personal setup, and only I use it.

So, I have ISP modem connected to the PC, which allows single registered device only. To connect another device, the solution is a router, therefore bought one and cloned the registered mac address of the PC for the second PC. Got everything working, tweaked a few things on the router via D-Link page. Then, I installed an additional HDD with windows in it, on that second PC. Booted off it, but had no internet, neither can log into d-link page. So, went back and booted from the main storage device of the second PC, discovered that the internet works but does not load the d-link page this time.

To verify, I connected the router to the first PC, the one that is registered on the ISP modem. There, both internet and d-link page works fine. Unlike the second pc, it doen't require a router to get internet access btw.

So, why the second windows on the second PC couldn't log into internet or the d-link page, and why the first windows on the second PC suddenly stopped loading the 192.168.0.1 page albeit having internet?

Just for clarification:
a. PC no.1 has internet and opens d-link page, and registered to ISP
b. PC no.2 with new hdd - has internet, had working d-link page, now showing 403 msg, has cloned mac address of the first PC
c. PC no.2 with second hdd : no internet, 403 msg

*Do I have to reveal the model number of the router?
* Correction: It's TP-link

Is it bad router or being hacked ( deactivated wifi though), or internet adapter / driver issue which was initially absent and had to download from mainboard support website?

Last edited:

Ainez

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020

Trying to connect a second PC to internet

Because, ISP limited device usage, wouldn't allow more than one PC.

TL-WR845N; I have admin rights, I set everything up.

I would try leaving all the mac address back on the factory default.

Next try to power off the ISP modem and then connect the router WAN port to the modem. Power on the router first and then after you think it is function power on the modem. You should then be able to hook your PC to the router LAN ports and they will just work.

For most ISP the modem will allow the first MAC address it sees after it powers on. This will be your new router.

If that does not work and they have somehow actually hard coded a pc mac address it is possible to clone the mac address on the ROUTER WAN PORT. You do not want to be duplicating mac address on 2 different pc it will cause you all kinds of problems.

Reactions: Ainez

Ainez

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020
I would try leaving all the mac address back on the factory default.

Next try to power off the ISP modem and then connect the router WAN port to the modem. Power on the router first and then after you think it is function power on the modem. You should then be able to hook your PC to the router LAN ports and they will just work.

For most ISP the modem will allow the first MAC address it sees after it powers on. This will be your new router.

If that does not work and they have somehow actually hard coded a pc mac address it is possible to clone the mac address on the ROUTER WAN PORT. You do not want to be duplicating mac address on 2 different pc it will cause you all kinds of problems.
That didn't work. Every default IP for TP-LINK says 'can't reach this page' or forbidden

Last edited:

Ainez

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020
At this point you may want to factory reset the tplink device and start over. You want to configure the tplink directly conneted to just a single pc with no connection to the internet at first.
Resetting worked. However, the router couldn't get internet in a straight setup, even on the ISP registered PC, for WAN port default mac address had to be replaced with 'The PC' mac address; gets connected only after cloning. I guess the cloned mac address allowed the second PC (the device that ISP wouldn't allow internet) to become online.
Still, the second windows on the second PC couldn't get online. Idk if the default UEFI is blocking legacy.

Ainez

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020
This maybe best to call the ISP and ask for help or if they have some document online. It would be unreasonable to only allow 1 device in each house so they must have ways to hook routers up.
…on a single connection, i meant.. Anyway, I agree it might be the best thing to contact them.
Thanks for your time.