Question Router Question

mikeis65

Honorable
Jul 10, 2016
I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router with DDWRT firmware with two 9db gain antennas that I use only for my security cameras. I have one wireless camera that is about 55 feet with two walls between the router and has choppy video. My question is, I can get a D-Link AC3200 Ultra Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router pretty cheap and was wondering if that would give be better reception than the Linksys Router or is that router just for speed.
Thank you for any advice

kanewolf

Titan
I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router with DDWRT firmware with two 9db gain antennas that I use only for my security cameras. I have one wireless camera that is about 55 feet with two walls between the router and has choppy video. My question is, I can get a D-Link AC3200 Ultra Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router pretty cheap and was wondering if that would give be better reception than the Linksys Router or is that router just for speed.
Thank you for any advice
NOPE. You have more antenna on your current router than any new router will have. You need a cable an a second WIFI source to fix your camera problem. Ethernet would be best, then coax with MoCA, finally powerline networking. But you need some kind of copper.

So my guess would be it will make no difference. In addition the problem might be the wifi in the camera since it makes up 1/2 the connection.

The best solution as recommended above is some kind of wired solution.

Now maybe you can get better wifi, that router is extremely old, so maybe a slightly newer piece of garbage router would help. You will not see any difference with some high end router as far as coverage goes, as you guessed it is all for speed.

Unlike most modern routers that old linksys does not transmit at the full legal power. At least I don't think it does there are many many hardware revisions of that router. A newer device would likely transmit at the full radio power. Next that linksys only functions on 2.4g. Maybe 5g will work better if you get a router that can do both 2.4 and 5. In general 5 tends to have less coverage but you never really know when you are talking about the signals going through a wall. You cameras would also have to support 5g wifi.

If you really wanted to try this buy pretty much the cheapest thing you can find. A used router from the garage sale for $5 would likely be fine. All you really care about is radio transmit power and any router from a better know vendor made in say the last 5-7yrs likely transmits at the full legal power.

Your current router runs on the G protocol. Even though most current devices are backwards compatible with G, I know most companies don't actually spend much time if any validating how well their devices work on the G protocol. I've had 2 devices that operated very flaky on G. My bathroom scale that was G only couldn't even connect to my router on G. It was weird, because other devices could connect with G.

Just upgrading to wireless N might give you much better bandwidth and stability.