[SOLVED] Router randomly turns off and then turns on again

GabrielTheNoob

Commendable
Feb 1, 2020
Hello, today i got my router replaced(Huawei HG658) because it would randomly turn off and on(WAN and Internet LEDs would turn off) and i got a ZTE Home Gateway Speedport Entry 2i as replacement from the ISP and this one turned off and on 2 times in less than 12 hours( the Online LED).
Am i unlucky and the new router was broken from the box or could it be caused by something else?

Solution
It can be something like dirt or water got into one of the splice points outside your house.

It is not so much that you worry that the cable gets pulled it would be that the cable is somehow defective. Mostly this is to be one step ahead of the ISP. There should be some box in your house where the line comes in. You then have a cable running from there to your router.
What you are trying to avoid is they come out to your house do their testing and decide it is the wire going from that box to your router. It is very unlikely. It all depends on how hard it is to temporarily replace. That way you can tell them you already tested a replacement and it made no difference.

It is far more likely it something outside...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, today i got my router replaced(Huawei HG658) because it would randomly turn off and on(WAN and Internet LEDs would turn off) and i got a ZTE Home Gateway Speedport Entry 2i as replacement from the ISP and this one turned off and on 2 times in less than 12 hours( the Online LED).
Am i unlucky and the new router was broken from the box or could it be caused by something else?
Could you have an electrical problem with where the router is plugged in? Have you tried powering from a different outlet?

GabrielTheNoob

Commendable
Feb 1, 2020
Could you have an electrical problem with where the router is plugged in? Have you tried powering from a different outlet?
it happened again. i found this in the logs of the router on 192.168.1.1 at the time it happened:
2022-01-19T18:03:26Z [Warning] DNS failed for as1.romtelecom.net
2022-01-19T18:03:35Z [Error] get view failed VID(272) VN(DEV.DSL.LINE1) Err(-5)
2022-01-19T18:03:35Z [Error] ProcReadEvent no data is received,will clear fd!!sRecvLen[-1], fd(29) , errno=[127:Network is down] : self_pid[0X00010C01], Read[0X0000], dwReadUserInfo[0X0]!!

kanewolf

Titan
it happened again. i found this in the logs of the router on 192.168.1.1 at the time it happened:
2022-01-19T18:03:26Z [Warning] DNS failed for as1.romtelecom.net
2022-01-19T18:03:35Z [Error] get view failed VID(272) VN(DEV.DSL.LINE1) Err(-5)
2022-01-19T18:03:35Z [Error] ProcReadEvent no data is received,will clear fd!!sRecvLen[-1], fd(29) , errno=[127:Network is down] : self_pid[0X00010C01], Read[0X0000], dwReadUserInfo[0X0]!!
That looks like the DSL intput line disconnected. Maybe a reboot is part of the restore process.
There is very little you can do about this. The only thing that is in your area of responsibility is the cable from the outside of the house to the modem. You could try running a cable across the floor and bypassing the in-wall cabling.

Have you contacted your ISP ?

GabrielTheNoob

Commendable
Feb 1, 2020
That looks like the DSL intput line disconnected. Maybe a reboot is part of the restore process.
There is very little you can do about this. The only thing that is in your area of responsibility is the cable from the outside of the house to the modem. You could try running a cable across the floor and bypassing the in-wall cabling.

Have you contacted your ISP ?
I have moved the cable a bit closer to the router sa that it wont get pulled by another cable but it still happens
I didnt contact the isp because they would most likely replace the router again. If i do end calling them,what should i tell them?

It can be something like dirt or water got into one of the splice points outside your house.

It is not so much that you worry that the cable gets pulled it would be that the cable is somehow defective. Mostly this is to be one step ahead of the ISP. There should be some box in your house where the line comes in. You then have a cable running from there to your router.
What you are trying to avoid is they come out to your house do their testing and decide it is the wire going from that box to your router. It is very unlikely. It all depends on how hard it is to temporarily replace. That way you can tell them you already tested a replacement and it made no difference.

It is far more likely it something outside your house. Phone wires are archaic technology compared to other internet delivery systems. They are made up of all kinds of copper wire splice many times going to back to the ISP office or some other place they can put electronic equipment.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS