Router, Smart Switch, or AP with build-in guest wi-fi and splash page?

rajsharma714

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Hello,

I have a small business, and I would like to have my guests be able to have free wi-fi. I know DD-WRT has HotSpot support that links to companies like HotSpotSystems, but that using HotSpotSystems has a monthly fee. The free plan by HotSpotSystem won't cut it.

Ideally, I would like to have the network unsecured, titled "Guest Wi-Fi," for example. The guest connects to the wireless network using their laptop, smartphone, etc, opens up their web browser, and sees my splash page with terms and conditions, checks the agree box, clicks submit, and then is redirected to, say, www.yahoo.com.

Is there a hardware I can buy, like a router, smart switch, or AP from a company that this feature build-in so I can just access the admin page of the device and I can setup myself?

Thank you.

Solution
Highly unlikely you will find a router/ network device that can do this. This is a function you pretty much have to have a server. It is not like network gear has hard drives to save things. There are a couple of very basic ones that run on servers/firewalls but all the powerful and easy to use ones they tend to charge money for. It does not take much of a server.

The other way to do this is with a simple radius server and run enterprise mode in the router. You would have to distribute userid/passwords with a independent system.

Until they make cheap consumer routers with hard drives or flash drives you are going to be stuck doing this type of function with a server.
Highly unlikely you will find a router/ network device that can do this. This is a function you pretty much have to have a server. It is not like network gear has hard drives to save things. There are a couple of very basic ones that run on servers/firewalls but all the powerful and easy to use ones they tend to charge money for. It does not take much of a server.

The other way to do this is with a simple radius server and run enterprise mode in the router. You would have to distribute userid/passwords with a independent system.

Until they make cheap consumer routers with hard drives or flash drives you are going to be stuck doing this type of function with a server.

Solution