[SOLVED] Router speed issue. But I'm saying sorry for being confused

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
So I got a new Router today Model# RAX120 So I have 1 ethernet cable plugged from my arris S33 2.5 gig Port to the back of the multi gig internet port on the back of the new router. and then I have another ethernet plugged into the wan Internet port on the back of the router too my 10gig ethernet card on the back of my computer.

In my router settings I have where it says wan settings I have internet port 1 gig I have wan aggragation 1 gbps +1 gbps and I have 5 gig port. I have the 5 gig port selected. Even though I get 1200 from my cable company. So I'm not sure if my setup is correct. If you could tell me that would be great. I have trouble understanding lots of things.

So When I go into My network and sharing center of windows 11 My ethernet card link speed is still only reading 1 gig. Now I'm assuming that's just a reading and it's not really what I will download for an actual speed because I pay for 1200 from my cable company. And I know

Solution
I am unclear how the ports work on your router. There is only 1 port that can be over 1gbit and I can't tell if it is wan or lan. For this to work the way you want you need both a lan and a wan port that is faster than 1gbit.

Port aggregation does not work the way you think it does. It will not increase the speed of a single session. So a single file download will always use only 1 port. You could aggregate 4 ports together and it will still max at 1gbit.
Now if you were to do 2 different file downloads at the same time it might be able to put them on differnet ports and each get 1gbit. Problem is the port aggregation algorithm is very stupid. It uses a math equation to select the path. It does not care how...

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
So I got a new Router today Model# RAX120 So I have 1 ethernet cable plugged from my arris S33 2.5 gig Port to the back of the multi gig internet port on the back of the new router. and then I have another ethernet plugged into the wan Internet port on the back of the router too my 10gig ethernet card on the back of my computer.

In my router settings I have where it says wan settings I have internet port 1 gig I have wan aggragation 1 gbps +1 gbps and I have 5 gig port. I have the 5 gig port selected. Even though I get 1200 from my cable company. So I'm not sure if my setup is correct. If you could tell me that would be great. I have trouble understanding lots of things.

So When I go into My network and sharing center of windows 11 My ethernet card link speed is still only reading 1 gig. Now I'm assuming that's just a reading and it's not really what I will download for an actual speed because I pay for 1200 from my cable company. And I know I won't get exactly 1200 but I still should do better than 1 gig So I don;t know why my link speed is still reading 1 gig so when I go into the link speed settings of My ethernet 10g The options I have are 100m 10g 1 g 2.5 g 5g and Auto negotiate. So I have this set for 5 g. Should I have it set too 2.5. In order for the link speed to read 2.5 gbps?

And for the Speed and duplex settings I can only choose 1 gbps or Auto negotiate. and the link speed for the ethernet card still only reads 1 gig. Are my cables not configured right? When I connect to just a straight modem connection from the 2,5 gig port on the modem to the back of the 10 gbps ethernet card I get a 2.5 link speed as a reading in the network and sharing center. Also when I do a speed test on speed test.net I get much higher speedtests I get 1,442.89 Something Like that for speed when I connect to just the modem and Ethernet card. Now that I'm connected to the router My link speed still reads 1 gig and My speedtest readings are 943.67 Something Like that. So is the reason for why this is happening with the lower speed readings simply because the wan port on even this new router is just 1 gig or is it something else. I really need piece of mind on this. This is so confusing. At least to me.

I am unclear how the ports work on your router. There is only 1 port that can be over 1gbit and I can't tell if it is wan or lan. For this to work the way you want you need both a lan and a wan port that is faster than 1gbit.

Port aggregation does not work the way you think it does. It will not increase the speed of a single session. So a single file download will always use only 1 port. You could aggregate 4 ports together and it will still max at 1gbit.
Now if you were to do 2 different file downloads at the same time it might be able to put them on differnet ports and each get 1gbit. Problem is the port aggregation algorithm is very stupid. It uses a math equation to select the path. It does not care how much traffic is on the ports it selects the port purely on the math. So it could put all the file downloads on 1 port and leave the other unused.

Port aggregation was more designed for a server that had a huge number of end machine accessing it. Because of all the different IP addresses being used the port aggregation math would more or less balance the traffic because of the randomness of the huge number of machines.
It is very ineffective in increasing transfer speed and is seldom used in enterprise installs anymore. Where it is used it is used more as a fast equipment failover/backup method rather than something to increase speed.

Pretty much port aggregation is a useless feature for the vast majority of home users.

You need a router that has multiple port faster than 1gbit to do what you want.

Solution

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012

Now if you were to do 2 different file downloads at the same time it might be able to put them on differnet ports and each get 1gbit. Problem is the port aggregation algorithm is very stupid. It uses a math equation to select the path. It does not care how much traffic is on the ports it selects the port purely on the math. So it could put all the file downloads on 1 port and leave the other unused.

Port aggregation was more designed for a server that had a huge number of end machine accessing it. Because of all the different IP addresses being used the port aggregation math would more or less balance the traffic because of the randomness of the huge number of machines.
It is very ineffective in increasing transfer speed and is seldom used in enterprise installs anymore. Where it is used it is used more as a fast equipment failover/backup method rather than something to increase speed.

Pretty much port aggregation is a useless feature for the vast majority of home users.

You need a router that has multiple port faster than 1gbit to do what you want.
Thank you so much!! Your response really answered a lot for me thank you!!