[SOLVED] Router speed much slower than Modem speed

Jun 21, 2020
Hi,

I'm currently using Rogers as a network provider, and I have the Ignite Internet 300-Unlimited plan with a Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (Hitron CODA-4582). I receive the advertised speed when directly connected to the modem (around 300mpbs) using ethernet. However, after using a CAT6 ethernet cable to connect to my Archer C60 router (brand new, no issues), the internet speed from my router drops to around 20mbps. I've tried various methods such as bridging my modem and trying a new router, but neither of these worked.

Thank you in advance!

Solution
I'd be fine with 90mbps, it's just very painful working with a max speed of 20mbps.
Start with a factory reset on the C60. Then set just the required passwords and SSIDs. Set the SSID separate for 2.4 and 5Ghz. Then you can pick which radio you connect to via WIFI.
If your performance is still poor, you need to boot a linux OS. That will be required to eliminate problems with Windows.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

I'm currently using Rogers as a network provider, and I have the Ignite Internet 300-Unlimited plan with a Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (Hitron CODA-4582). I receive the advertised speed when directly connected to the modem (around 300mpbs) using ethernet. However, after using a CAT6 ethernet cable to connect to my Archer C60 router (brand new, no issues), the internet speed from my router drops to around 20mbps. I've tried various methods such as bridging my modem and trying a new router, but neither of these worked.

Thank you in advance!
The CODA-4582 is a router/modem combo. Do you have it set to bridge mode? Do the LEDs on the Hitron and Archer show gigabit link on the interconnect?

Jun 21, 2020
The CODA-4582 is a router/modem combo. Do you have it set to bridge mode? Do the LEDs on the Hitron and Archer show gigabit link on the interconnect?
Yes, I have it set to bridge mode.

What do you mean by showing a gigabit link? I can see that the 5G LEDs are on for the modem.

The only other thing connected to the modem is the telephone service if that helps.

kanewolf

Titan
I'd be fine with 90mbps, it's just very painful working with a max speed of 20mbps.
Start with a factory reset on the C60. Then set just the required passwords and SSIDs. Set the SSID separate for 2.4 and 5Ghz. Then you can pick which radio you connect to via WIFI.
If your performance is still poor, you need to boot a linux OS. That will be required to eliminate problems with Windows.

Solution
Jun 21, 2020
Will try that, thank you very much

TRENDING THREADS