Question Router with SIM and EAP - AKA

Mar 13, 2020
Hi all,
I'm looking for a router to share internet present on a WiFi-1 connection, to a WiFi-2 network.

The authentication on WiFi-1 should work using a mobile SIM card and EAP - AKA protocol.

Do you know if exist a router having a SIM slot to be autenthicated on WiFi-1 network which should share the internet on WiFi-2 ?
Thanks a lot.
Carlo

Not sure what you are looking for. You likely are going to need a specialized product.

When you use terms like sim and eap-aka these are related to mobile broadband not Wifi. I would assume someone could implement a security authentication system like this over wifi. If something like this exists you would think that the company that makes the "server" end of the connection would also produce some kind of router.

Now if by Wifi you actually mean mobile broadband there are many products on the market. Simple hotspots are sold by most vendors. Unfortunately there is no single device you can buy that will work on all mobile broadband connections. Some of this is to force you to buy from the ISP. Others it is there is massive difference in things like what radio frequencies the different providers use.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Mar 13, 2020
Hi Phillip, the first one, was the right assumption.
I'm currently using my smartphone with the SIM inside and using EAP-AKA protocol to authenticate it.
Using USB-Tethering on my smartphone, I'm able to have internet connection on my laptop too.
What I wish to do, is to replace my mobile phone with a dedicated router but the company that makes the server end of the connection, doesn't produce this kind of router :-(

A router that takes a sim directly is rather hard to find. They have to be made to match the ISP. There is a company called cradlepoint.

Generally the best option is to try to find a USB modem that your ISP will support. They generally have lists on their site. Then you try to find a router that supports that device and your ISP. Some ISP intentional prevent access even though the hardware is used by other ISP that work. You need to read the list carefully.

This is a old link I have for asus, I am not certain if this is current.

TPlink has a fairly large list and the largest list is dd-wrt but that is third party firmware that only runs on some router platform.