[SOLVED] Router works and all other devices have working internet (wifi and ethernet) EXCEPT my computer

Vikerules

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
This is the second time my issue comes up but this time around i found out how to actually fix it, im asking here because i want to understand WHY this is happening and i also dont understand why my "fix" actually does anything at all...

Note that my computer does not have any built in wifi on the motherboard or any wifi adapter, it only has ethernet.

The problem:

Computer works completely fine and ethernet is working no problem, i then go to bed, wake up and i find my ethernet is literally not working on my computer. The internet however works for all other devices in the household (wifi and ethernet). If i unplug my ethernet cable from my computer and plug that exact same cable into a laptop in the kitchen the ethernet works without an issue. Plug it back into my computer it refuses to work. Its as if the computer doesnt even recognize there is a cable plugged in at all. I have tried several cables and they all behave exactly as described above, working on other computers but not mine.

There are 2 LED lights near the ethernet port, above is orange and below is green, when this problem arises the orange LED light is the only one lighting up and its not blinking but solid orange. So whats the fix? Somehow the "fix" is to turn off the computer, flick the powersupply on/off button to off, unplug the powersupply cable and then wait like an entire minute until the orange LED light near the ethernet port goes away. Then i plug the powersupply cable back in and flick the on/off switch to on and suddenly the orange light is blinking instead of being solid, i then turn on the computer and the green light appears as well and i magically have ethernet again.

Basically i wish for you guys to help me understand how this "fix" works. Is the motherboard dying? Is the port bad? The ethernet cable clearly works... the motherboard is an asus Z97-A, 4790k, bought it like 2015 or something if i had to guess

kJsPyXI.jpeg
e1sWs7P.jpeg

Solution
I would check the bios settings. Turn off any stupid power save options and turn off any wake on lan or wake on packet stuff.

After this check the nic setting in windows. Unfortunately window it seem can now change some of these bios options. I always like it when the BIOS is not affected by the OS but too many people now days have no clue now to get into bios settings so microsoft "helps" them out.

Vikerules

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
Start with a new ethernet cable. You have a shielded cable. That can cause problems if not designed for shielded cabling.
Is there in-wall cabling or is this a direct cable to the router ?
I tried a new cable as i said in the post, there was no difference. I've had this cable for like 5 years and its been working flawlessly so far up until this problem started happening, the first time this happened was around 1 month ago and now today it happened for the second time.

1 cable comes from the wall and into the router, and then there is the power cable for the router and then my ethernet cable on the 1st port, i tried all 4 and there was no difference.

kanewolf

Titan
I tried a new cable as i said in the post, there was no difference. I've had this cable for like 5 years and its been working flawlessly so far up until this problem started happening, the first time this happened was around 1 month ago and now today it happened for the second time.

1 cable comes from the wall and into the router, and then there is the power cable for the router and then my ethernet cable on the 1st port, i tried all 4 and there was no difference.
For the green light to go off, the link fails. That usually means a hardware problem somewhere. Cable is always the first suspect. If you have swapped to a brand new cat5e 100% copper cable, then it is probably not the cable. It is most likely the network adapter on the PC since other devices are not impacted. A 7 year old motherboard, could definitely be starting to fail.
An ethernet card is not terribly expensive, so it may be worth getting one.

Vikerules

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
For the green light to go off, the link fails. That usually means a hardware problem somewhere. Cable is always the first suspect. If you have swapped to a brand new cat5e 100% copper cable, then it is probably not the cable. It is most likely the network adapter on the PC since other devices are not impacted. A 7 year old motherboard, could definitely be starting to fail.
An ethernet card is not terribly expensive, so it may be worth getting one.
But could it really be the ethernet adapter on the motherboard if the fix to the problem is to fully power off the power supply and wait before the orange light goes away before plugging it back in?

kanewolf

Titan
But could it really be the ethernet adapter on the motherboard if the fix to the problem is to fully power off the power supply and wait before the orange light goes away before plugging it back in?
You have eliminated the most likely cause (the cable). Link is a basic hardware function. Software is not involved.
The network adapter overheating would fit the symptoms. Having to WAIT to regain function.

Vikerules

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
You have eliminated the most likely cause (the cable). Link is a basic hardware function. Software is not involved.
The network adapter overheating would fit the symptoms. Having to WAIT to regain function.
Im not sure overheating could be the cause because the ethernet wasent working after i got home from work and the computer had been off for around 7 hours prior

kanewolf

Titan
Im not sure overheating could be the cause because the ethernet wasent working after i got home from work and the computer had been off for around 7 hours prior
The only way to troubleshoot this is to swap parts. Can't swap the motherboard, but you can add an ethernet port. You say you have tried different cables. You say that no other devices are impacted so the router is unlikely -- but you didn't say if there were other wired devices. And you say that power cycling the PC is the fix.
I don't have any other suggestions.

I would check the bios settings. Turn off any stupid power save options and turn off any wake on lan or wake on packet stuff.

After this check the nic setting in windows. Unfortunately window it seem can now change some of these bios options. I always like it when the BIOS is not affected by the OS but too many people now days have no clue now to get into bios settings so microsoft "helps" them out.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS