[SOLVED] Routers with mapping interface

chadpmarshall

Honorable
Sep 8, 2016
Good day all. I need to replace an outdated router that has performed very well for me over the years. But with 5 of us in the house, and a total of 27 devices connected at any given time, I need more performance. That count seems high, but with a tv in every room, smart watches, ipads, iphones, PC's and everything else it adds up quickly. I would like to find a router with the performance needed as I have gigabit speeds, I also want one in which I can map every device connected to my network and be able to give it a name and what not. I can't think of what this is called, other than an interface of some kind. Any suggestions for this would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
If you have that many wireless devices, you're going to need a whole wifi system with multiple access points to get good rates. If you can wire a lot of that stuff, it will make it easier, but you still will probably need at least 2 access points if you have more than 10 wireless devices.

Most any router will be able to do dhcp reservations with names like you want. As far as a visual map, I don't know of any that will do that (that don't cost a couple of thousand dollars).

What are the problems you are experiencing with your current router?
If you have that many wireless devices, you're going to need a whole wifi system with multiple access points to get good rates. If you can wire a lot of that stuff, it will make it easier, but you still will probably need at least 2 access points if you have more than 10 wireless devices.

Most any router will be able to do dhcp reservations with names like you want. As far as a visual map, I don't know of any that will do that (that don't cost a couple of thousand dollars).

What are the problems you are experiencing with your current router?

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Good day all. I need to replace an outdated router that has performed very well for me over the years. But with 5 of us in the house, and a total of 27 devices connected at any given time, I need more performance. That count seems high, but with a tv in every room, smart watches, ipads, iphones, PC's and everything else it adds up quickly. I would like to find a router with the performance needed as I have gigabit speeds, I also want one in which I can map every device connected to my network and be able to give it a name and what not. I can't think of what this is called, other than an interface of some kind. Any suggestions for this would be greatly appreciated.
If you want a "map" look at the Ubiquiti UniFI hardware. A UniFI Dream Mchine for the router an add at least one additional AP with a wired connection back to the UDM.