[SOLVED] Routing Paths and Subnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicolavs10

Prominent
Nov 28, 2018
I have a quiz in coursera about routing paths and subnets but im really having a trouble on how to answer it because im at beginner level in this thing. I dont need answers but can anybody explain it to me or give me an example so i can practice and solve this quiz please

Solution
Each client is a router and any intermediary is a router. All of them have tables of routes. This includes your pc, your phone, tablet, everything. a typical client only has one path out. so it would have an extremely basic routing table. in windows you can type route print in your terminal to see it. different systems present the information differently.

0.0.0.0/0 via eno1 is a route. lets say I want to send a packet to 1.1.1.1. It's inside that subnet. It would be sent out of eno1. eno1 may be attached to your router which is attached to your modem. hopefully the routes are set so it goes to your isp who routes it out to the destination.

the subnet 0.0.0.0/0 includes all ipv4 address so anything you send will go out eno1 which is...

nicolavs10

Prominent
Nov 28, 2018
I have a quiz in coursera about routing paths and subnets but im really having a trouble on how to answer it because im at beginner level in this thing. I dont need answers but can anybody explain it to me or give me an example so i can practice and solve this quiz please

like this one https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/routing-paths-and-subnets.3226251/ but i really dont understand it please help me and guide me to the lesson i need to learn. ive tried to repeat the study video in the course but i really cant get it.

Each client is a router and any intermediary is a router. All of them have tables of routes. This includes your pc, your phone, tablet, everything. a typical client only has one path out. so it would have an extremely basic routing table. in windows you can type route print in your terminal to see it. different systems present the information differently.

0.0.0.0/0 via eno1 is a route. lets say I want to send a packet to 1.1.1.1. It's inside that subnet. It would be sent out of eno1. eno1 may be attached to your router which is attached to your modem. hopefully the routes are set so it goes to your isp who routes it out to the destination.

the subnet 0.0.0.0/0 includes all ipv4 address so anything you send will go out eno1 which is the device like your network card. then the next router looks at the destination and it has it's own routes and it sends it out some network device.

It gets very complicated once you get to where you have many potential paths to the same machine and you have to figure out the best one. This video is very nice to see how one common method works.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GazC3A4OQTE

Reactions: bmaccrypto
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.