RPC server is unavailable

Sam

Hello

I have a problem where my 2003 file server which also runs IIS6 stops
accepting new connections and can not see the network. The only solution
seems to be to reboot the computer. The first indication of this is when
intranet pages stop loading.
Checking the system event log reveals event id 5719 to be the start of the
trouble, which states the RPC server is unavailable. When I try to browse the
network from the 2003 server and error appears saying I am not authorised.

The network is a windows NT4 domain, and the server in question is a windows
2003 server acting as a file and intranet server. This problem has only
occurred in the last month after 8 months of uninterrupted use.

My question is how do I find what is creating this error and how to get the
RPC server working again without having to reboot the server.

Many thanks
Sam

When you view the logged events in Event Viewer (double-click them in the
right-hand pane) in the upper right corner, third button down is a copy to
clipboard, then you can paste in the body of a reply message.

Please do so for each of the different System Log events (that are a Type:
'Error' or 'Warning') since last boot so we can see all of the event detail.

Also check Device Manager for error codes and or non-starting devices. Is
SP1 applied?

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Sam" wrote:
| Hello
|
| I have a problem where my 2003 file server which also runs IIS6 stops
| accepting new connections and can not see the network. The only solution
| seems to be to reboot the computer. The first indication of this is when
| intranet pages stop loading.
| Checking the system event log reveals event id 5719 to be the start of the
| trouble, which states the RPC server is unavailable. When I try to browse
the
| network from the 2003 server and error appears saying I am not authorised.
|
| The network is a windows NT4 domain, and the server in question is a
windows
| 2003 server acting as a file and intranet server. This problem has only
| occurred in the last month after 8 months of uninterrupted use.
|
| My question is how do I find what is creating this error and how to get
the
| RPC server working again without having to reboot the server.
|
| Many thanks
| Sam

Sam

Hello Dave,

Please find attached the event messages

Message 1

Event Type: Error
Event Source: NETLOGON
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5719
Date: 15/07/2005
Time: 06:00:19
User: N/A
Computer: SERVER1
This computer was not able to set up a secure session with a domain
controller in domain ELMSTEEL due to the following:
The RPC server is unavailable.
This may lead to authentication problems. Make sure that this computer is
connected to the network. If the problem persists, please contact your domain
administrator.

ADDITIONAL INFO
If this computer is a domain controller for the specified domain, it sets up
the secure session to the primary domain controller emulator in the specified
domain. Otherwise, this computer sets up the secure session to any domain
controller in the specified domain.

Data:
0000: 17 00 02 c0 ...À

This is followed a few minutes later by this message

Event Type: Error
Event Source: BROWSER
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8032
Date: 15/07/2005
Time: 06:05:35
User: N/A
Computer: SERVER1
The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on
transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{A0171386-64ED-45C8-82D6-7D8D982D58F5}. The
backup browser is stopping.

Data:
0000: 1f 00 00 00 ....

Thanks in advance