networks:
- elastic

volumes:
data01:
driver: local

networks:
elastic:
driver: bridge

This is my docker compose and rsyslog dont wrok..... Im trying to use is as remote server for logs for Asus Merlin. VPS is arm64... Please guys, give me a solution.
PS
I suppose that anything other than rsyslog wont work with merlin because merlin is using rsyslog... I tried syslog-ng w/o success.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to provide more information about the operational setting, the devices involved, and exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

Specific requirements?

What error message etc., if any, are presented when your code fails?

Reactions: 93boba

kanewolf

Titan
Code:
version: '3'

services:
rsyslog:
image: aguslr/rsyslog
container_name: rsyslog
build:
context: .
restart: unless-stopped
volumes:
- ./logs:/var/log/supervisord
ports:
- 514:514/tcp
- 514:514/udp

kibana:
image: docker.elastic.co/kibana/kibana:7.17.0
ports:
- 5601:5601
environment:
SERVER_NAME: xxx
ELASTICSEARCH_HOSTS: [url=http://es01:9200]http://es01:9200[/url]
SERVER_PUBLIC_BASEURL: xxx
networks:
- elastic
depends_on:
- es01

es01:
image: elasticsearch:7.17.20
user: "1000:1000"
container_name: es01
environment:
- node.name=es01
- cluster.name=es-docker-cluster
- discovery.seed_hosts=es01
- cluster.initial_master_nodes=es01
- bootstrap.memory_lock=true
- "ES_JAVA_OPTS=-Xms512m -Xmx512m"
ulimits:
memlock:
soft: -1
hard: -1
volumes:
- /home/ubuntu/portainer/elasticsearch/data01:/usr/share/elasticsearch/data
ports:
- 9200:9200
networks:
- elastic

volumes:
data01:

networks:
elastic:

This is my docker compose and rsyslog dont wrok..... Im trying to use is as remote server for logs for Asus Merlin. VPS is arm64... Please guys, give me a solution.
PS
I suppose that anything other than rsyslog wont work with merlin because merlin is using rsyslog... I tried syslog-ng w/o success.
Is there any firewall ?
Does the container host have a separate IP address?

93boba

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2015
Update your post to provide more information about the operational setting, the devices involved, and exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

Specific requirements?

What error message etc., if any, are presented when your code fails?
Is there any firewall ?
Does the container host have a separate IP address?
https://pastebin.com/rxkPt0VU (logs)

I would like to display logs real time on dashboard and keep an eye from time to time. Machine is arm64 (Ubuntu 22.04.4)and its on a different network (different from Asus Merlin). I guess exposing 514 udp is not a big deal? Anything that streamlines process and allows me to monitor logs on homepage works for me... Thank you guys.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure that I understand the environment (full disclosure) but why not just a dual monitor system?

Maybe a remote login to a computer on the other network with the required remote computer's dashboard/monitored logs display presented on the local computer's second monitor?

Just thinking out loud....

A simple sketch of the computers, networks, etc. would be helpful to present the requirements.

kanewolf

Titan
https://pastebin.com/rxkPt0VU (logs)

I would like to display logs real time on dashboard and keep an eye from time to time. Machine is arm64 (Ubuntu 22.04.4)and its on a different network (different from Asus Merlin). I guess exposing 514 udp is not a big deal? Anything that streamlines process and allows me to monitor logs on homepage works for me... Thank you guys.
What does "different network" mean?
The syslog server is not in the LAN subnet of the router?
Are you trying to send syslog thru the WAN interface?
Is the syslog server pingable from the router interface?

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
If I understand it correctly, OP is running VPS Ubuntu 22 on the cloud with rsyslog container and he wants to send Asus home router's syslog to the Ubuntu's rsyslog container, but display the log on Asus router's dashboard?

93boba

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2015
If I understand it correctly, OP is running VPS Ubuntu 22 on the cloud with rsyslog container and he wants to send Asus home router's syslog to the Ubuntu's rsyslog container, but display the log on Asus router's dashboard?
What does "different network" mean?
The syslog server is not in the LAN subnet of the router?
Are you trying to send syslog thru the WAN interface?
Is the syslog server pingable from the router interface?
Not sure that I understand the environment (full disclosure) but why not just a dual monitor system?

Maybe a remote login to a computer on the other network with the required remote computer's dashboard/monitored logs display presented on the local computer's second monitor?

Just thinking out loud....

A simple sketch of the computers, networks, etc. would be helpful to present the requirements.
VPS Ubuntu 22 on Cloud with rsyslog container and I want to send Asus home router's syslog to the Ubuntu's rsyslog container, and to display logs on my Homepage Dashboard which is also on VPS Ubuntu 22 on Cloud.

I had someone trying to brute force in my OpenVPN for quite some time, and I saw logs few days ago.. Just want to keep an eye on everything.

kanewolf

Titan
VPS Ubuntu 22 on Cloud with rsyslog container and I want to send Asus home router's syslog to the Ubuntu's rsyslog container, and to display logs on my Homepage Dashboard which is also on VPS Ubuntu 22 on Cloud.

I had someone trying to brute force in my OpenVPN for quite some time, and I saw logs few days ago.. Just want to keep an eye on everything.
Is there a VPN between the router and this cloud host or are you trying to send to the public IP of the cloud host ?

kanewolf

Titan
Code:
version: '3'

services:
rsyslog:
image: aguslr/rsyslog
container_name: rsyslog
build:
context: .
restart: unless-stopped
volumes:
- ./logs:/var/log/supervisord
ports:
- 514:514/tcp
- 514:514/udp

kibana:
image: docker.elastic.co/kibana/kibana:7.17.0
ports:
- 5601:5601
environment:
SERVER_NAME: xxx
ELASTICSEARCH_HOSTS: [url=http://es01:9200]http://es01:9200[/url]
SERVER_PUBLIC_BASEURL: xxx
networks:
- elastic
depends_on:
- es01

es01:
image: elasticsearch:7.17.20
user: "1000:1000"
container_name: es01
environment:
- node.name=es01
- cluster.name=es-docker-cluster
- discovery.seed_hosts=es01
- cluster.initial_master_nodes=es01
- bootstrap.memory_lock=true
- "ES_JAVA_OPTS=-Xms512m -Xmx512m"
ulimits:
memlock:
soft: -1
hard: -1
volumes:
- /home/ubuntu/portainer/elasticsearch/data01:/usr/share/elasticsearch/data
ports:
- 9200:9200
networks:
- elastic

volumes:
data01:

networks:
elastic:

PS
Since you mention that you are using Merlin firmware have you posted this question to the Merlin forum over at smallnetbuilder.com ?

93boba

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2015
Since you mention that you are using Merlin firmware have you posted this question to the Merlin forum over at smallnetbuilder.com ?
I did...
Is there a VPN between the router and this cloud host or are you trying to send to the public IP of the cloud host ?
No, im trying to send public IP.. I could setup tailscale but I really don't want to due to security concerns

Apr 21, 2024
@93boba
(r)syslog transfer is not crypted, since you seem to take care of security.
you should enable some sort of 'vpn' between these hosts - maybe just tunnel through ssh.