Question RTX 2060 massive fps problems

Jun 11, 2019
Hey there !

I replaced my old gtx 960 with a brand new rtx 2060 from KF2A, because i wanted to make my computer ready for VR...

But theres some kind of fps problem... the rtx 2060 runs gpu - expensive games without any problems on max settings, but has massive struggles with "simple" games.

Im using Xeon W3550 for the stats down under... he isnt a bottleneck, never had a load above 40% while playing games. The gpu itself had only a load of about 100% when playing star wars battlefront...

2060 - Starwars Battlefront 2 ( 2018 )
Resolution : 1080p
Settings : Ultra with Raytracing
FPS : 90 - 100

2060 - Minecraft
Resolution : 1080p
Optifine installed
No shaders or resource pack
Settings all on fast without vsync
FPS : 100-200 massive drops

960 - Minecraft
Same settings as above
FPS : 400-500 mostly

2060 - Minecraft with shaders
Same settings as above
FPS : 40-60

960 - Minecraft with shaders
Same settings as above
FPS : 100-200

So it seems like my rtx 2060 is only good at gpu intensive games, but sucks on minecraft... how is this possible ?

I already made a clean driver install using ddu, adjusted the nvidia control panel settings etc.

Does anyone have a idea what i can do ?

Minecraft is CPU bound, if I'm not mistaken. Some games are more graphic demanding, whereas others are not.

It has a lot of simulation to do in a generally less-than-optimized codebase, and the graphics are simple enough that they don’t cause too much load on a modern graphics card. You do need some graphics horsepower for Minecraft, but not nearly as much as you do for other Graphic demanding Games.

The poor performance on the RTX GPU might also be related to the Video card drivers.

For Minecraft specifically:
  • It has VERY simple shading and texturing (little work for GPU)
  • Uses a lot of geometry (this may become very hard for GPU)
  • To optimize GPU drawing it does some magic on geometric data on CPU as well.
Given those points I believe that Minecraft may be CPU-bound.

Jun 11, 2019
Minecraft is CPU bound, if I'm not mistaken. Some games are more graphic demanding, whereas others are not.

It has a lot of simulation to do in a generally less-than-optimized codebase, and the graphics are simple enough that they don’t cause too much load on a modern graphics card. You do need some graphics horsepower for Minecraft, but not nearly as much as you do for other Graphic demanding Games.

The poor performance on the RTX GPU might also be related to the Video card drivers.

For Minecraft specifically:
  • It has VERY simple shading and texturing (little work for GPU)
  • Uses a lot of geometry (this may become very hard for GPU)
  • To optimize GPU drawing it does some magic on geometric data on CPU as well.
Given those points I believe that Minecraft may be CPU-bound.

Thanks for your fast reply ! I didnt changed the cpu... so it doesnt really make sense that a new graphics card comes along with lower fps... especially when its cpu bound.
Im using the latest drivers... 430.? i guess not sure how nvidia handles the driver updates, but i thought newest drivers are always the better ones

Im using the latest drivers... 430.? i guess not sure how nvidia handles the driver updates, but i thought newest drivers are always the better ones

That's not necessary that the latest drivers are going to be more stable. Sometimes a previous driver version works much better. Try to ROLLBACK the GPU drivers, and check whether doing this helps alleviate your problem or not ?