Question Rtx 2060 or RX 5600 XT?

poorbugger

Distinguished
Hello, im planning to build a pc soon and im deciding between the msi ventus rtx 2060 with dual fans and a gigabyte rx 5600 xt with triple fans. I live in a hot climate so good cooling would be important here. Afaik, rx 5600 xt wins the stock rtx 2060 and is on par with the ko edition, correct? So the 5600 xt goes for 320usd here while the msi ventus rtx 2060 goes for 350usd here. I dont care about ray tracing and im planning to play on 1080p only. Which one should i go for? I hear good things about the 5600 xt but the driver issues seems to be really bad.

mangaman

Honorable
Honestly, both are very close in performance and price. Nvidia does has more stable drivers, as AMD's drivers can be hit or miss at times. However, that does not mean AMD is not an option, as their most recent drivers have been very good. 19.12.3 Adrenalin 2020 has seen some very well received feedback, as 19.12.2 was terrible.

If drivers are an issue with you, go with the RTX 2060. If you don't mind researching each driver update to determine which is stable and bug free, go with the RX 5600 XT.

poorbugger

Distinguished
Honestly, both are very close in performance and price. Nvidia does has more stable drivers, as AMD's drivers can be hit or miss at times. However, that does not mean AMD is not an option, as their most recent drivers have been very good. 19.12.3 Adrenalin 2020 has seen some very well received feedback, as 19.12.2 was terrible.

If drivers are an issue with you, go with the RTX 2060. If you don't mind researching each driver update to determine which is stable and bug free, go with the RX 5600 XT.
The rx 5600 xt wins the rtx 2060 tho no? It's only on par with the rtx 2060 ko edition which costs significantly more here. How terrible is amd drivers? If it's not until unusable level, i can still accept it.

mangaman

Honorable
The rx 5600 xt wins the rtx 2060 tho no? It's only on par with the rtx 2060 ko edition which costs significantly more here. How terrible is amd drivers? If it's not until unusable level, i can still accept it.

I've seen videos of the RTX 2060 and RX 5600 XT and both are very close in performance. The RTX preforms better in some games while the RX preforms better in others. It's all depends on the games internal engine and what it prefers.

As far as AMD drivers go, they've gotten better but you have to do your research before installing them. One update can be great, while the next can be complete garbage. 19.12.2 is one example of those really terrible drivers.

poorbugger

Distinguished
I've seen videos of the RTX 2060 and RX 5600 XT and both are very close in performance. The RTX preforms better in some games while the RX preforms better in others. It's all depends on the games internal engine and what it prefers.

As far as AMD drivers go, they've gotten better but you have to do your research before installing them. One update can be great, while the next can be complete garbage. 19.12.2 is one example of those really terrible drivers.
I see, if the rx 5600 xt is cheaper by a lot in my country, that would be the better choice right? I dont mind doing abit of research on the drivers as long as it's software related rather than hardware related
It's because i can get the triple fan configuration for a cheaper price than the msi ventus rtx 2060 which i hear doesnt have a good cooling and that's important as i live in a hot climation

Fredin

Reputable
Apr 5, 2019
Go with the rtx 2060 if you can. With DLSS becoming a thing you'll get a really good performance increase and will future proof you card way more. It's only a matter of time before new games start supporting DLSS.

poorbugger

Distinguished
If it's cheaper then go with the RX 5600 XT.
Go with the rtx 2060 if you can. With DLSS becoming a thing you'll get a really good performance increase and will future proof you card way more. It's only a matter of time before new games start supporting DLSS.
Damn 2 different replies, now im conflicted again. Are you sure DLSS is going to be that big of a deal?
Back then nvidia was talking about ray tracing so much and till now, there arent even that many games that have it. Im afraid by the time DLSS becomes relevant, it will be the time for me to change my gpu anyway

Fredin

Reputable
Apr 5, 2019
Damn 2 different replies, now im conflicted again. Are you sure DLSS is going to be that big of a deal?
Back then nvidia was talking about ray tracing so much and till now, there arent even that many games that have it. Im afraid by the time DLSS becomes relevant, it will be the time for me to change my gpu anyway

Yeah, ray tracing didn't take off that well, but if the initial results of DLSS is anything to go by its definitely worth it, I mean it's free fps...

View: https://youtu.be/eS1vQ8JtbdM

And AMD still hasn't fixed their drivers properly till now so unless you are highly restricted by your budget or if you have a real solid reason to go AMD, 2060 would be a better buy, at least in my opinion.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'd go with the RX 5600 XT.

Unless you're buying in the US and are fine with a mail-in rebate, in which case, get this RX 5700:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/K8...-gb-mech-oc-video-card-radeon-rx-5700-mech-oc

Really kinda hard to beat in terms of price/performance.

HOWEVER.... this particular 5600XT might be worth it for the $50 savings vs the 5700 that I linked to, and a $40 savings vs the cheapest 2060 listed.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7b...-gb-gaming-oc-video-card-gv-r56xtgaming-oc-6g

I can't say the drivers would be an issue. Got a 5700 for my son, used DDU to remove all the existing drivers, installed the card, and installed the latest Radeon Adrenaline WHQL certified drivers (Version 20.2.2, from March 5th). Zero problems, and he's using FreeSync (Chill, to keep the frame rates between a specified minimum and maximum) on a 2560x1080 monitor.

poorbugger

Distinguished
Yeah, ray tracing didn't take off that well, but if the initial results of DLSS is anything to go by its definitely worth it, I mean it's free fps...

View: https://youtu.be/eS1vQ8JtbdM

And AMD still hasn't fixed their drivers properly till now so unless you are highly restricted by your budget or if you have a real solid reason to go AMD, 2060 would be a better buy, at least in my opinion.
But how many games have dlss? I'm worried im buying a gpu that supports a feature that will be mainstream in the future not now

maybe you can look at it this way: how long you're going to keep your GPU? are you the type that will upgrade your GPU with fix time interval or like to hold on as long as you can before upgrading to a new one? if for example you will upgrade to another GPU in two years time then RX5600 probably not a bad choice. but if you want to keep your GPU as long as you can RTX2060 might be end up being better investment. DLSS is just one advantage nvidia had. but nvidia turing based GPU also fully support all DX12 ultimate feature. for the majority of people they probably will not going to care about ray tracing. but DX12 ultimate have three other features that can improve game performance: mesh shading, VRS and feedback sampler. this is also the primary feature for upcoming xbox console. so game developer will be pushed to use all this performance enhancing feature. and nvidia turing support all of them. AMD will only support them with their upcoming RDNA 2. so once game being built exclusively for next gen console nvidia turing probably end up pulling ahead in performance. this usually happen two years after new generation of console comes out.

Reactions: poorbugger

poorbugger

Distinguished
maybe you can look at it this way: how long you're going to keep your GPU? are you the type that will upgrade your GPU with fix time interval or like to hold on as long as you can before upgrading to a new one? if for example you will upgrade to another GPU in two years time then RX5600 probably not a bad choice. but if you want to keep your GPU as long as you can RTX2060 might be end up being better investment. DLSS is just one advantage nvidia had. but nvidia turing based GPU also fully support all DX12 ultimate feature. for the majority of people they probably will not going to care about ray tracing. but DX12 ultimate have three other features that can improve game performance: mesh shading, VRS and feedback sampler. this is also the primary feature for upcoming xbox console. so game developer will be pushed to use all this performance enhancing feature. and nvidia turing support all of them. AMD will only support them with their upcoming RDNA 2. so once game being built exclusively for next gen console nvidia turing probably end up pulling ahead in performance. this usually happen two years after new generation of console comes out.
Thanks for the help but after serious consideration, i got the rx 5600 xt. I can't hold my hopes up for nvidia features that arent even mainstream yet. Im essentially buying a product for to be fully ultilised 2 years or less later. Plus the triple fan design is something that i really need as i live in a hot climate. It's cheaper than the rtx 2060 as well.