[SOLVED] RTX 2060 & RTX 2070 Super CHIPS come in 3 different Variants ? * Some Off topic Heads-up *

Hello, :)

TPU actually posted an article, and I just wanted to share this here as well. Some of you might be already aware of this recent discovery though.. Anyways, TPU claims that there are THREE different variants/SKUs of the RTX 2060 and 2070 SUPER cards.

You can read the full article by yourself, but I will just quote some of their important points:

""While working on GPU-Z support for NVIDIA's new GeForce RTX Super cards, I noticed something curious. Each of the RTX 2060 Super and RTX 2070 Super is listed with three independent device IDs in the driver: 1F06, 1F42, 1F47 for the former and 1E84, 1EC2, 1EC7 for the latter. GeForce RTX 2080 Super on the other hand, like nearly every other NVIDIA SKU, uses only a single device ID (1E81). The PCI device ID uniquely identifies every GPU model, so the OS and driver can figure out what kind of device it is, what driver to use, and how to talk to it."'

This part of their article seems interesting though.. Do we really have FAKE SUPER cards also in the market ?

Multiple variants of GeForce RTX Super cards are definitely out there, as we have received e-mails and seen comments on our forums, from buyers wondering why their GPU "is different," how it affects performance, or if it could even be a fake card.

Another interesting aspect is how SLI compatibility between cards of the same SKU, but with difference device IDs will be affected. SLI support traditionally required device IDs of two cards to match, the sub-vendor IDs can be different (i.e., you can freely pair a ZOTAC GTX 980 with an ASUS GTX 980, but you can't pair an ASUS GTX 980 with an ASUS GTX 970)

Why would NVIDIA create those SKUs, based on existing models? It seems that in order to protect existing inventory in warehouses of their board partners, NVIDIA has created a method to turn existing RTX 2070 non-Super cards into RTX 2060 Super; and RTX 2080 non-Super to RTX 2070 Super, respectively. This also explains why there's two new IDs for each card: both non-A and -A GPUs can be converted.

https://www.techpowerup.com/257776/...come-in-three-variants-each-flashing-possible

w1zzard, author of the article also has to say this:::

"" My guess is that NVIDIA wants to increase available inventory for SUPER, reduce inventory of non-SUPER at the same time, and avoid a price fight between non-SUPER end-of-life models and brand-new SUPER cards. If that is the case, then maybe the company is giving its partners some sort of compensation, either as cash, or as rebate for future GPU purchases "".

https://www.techpowerup.com/257776/...come-in-three-variants-each-flashing-possible

Da9Cz81os5SKgBZR.jpg

I just wanted to share this. Thanks for reading, NICK.

Solution
This proves the whole super launch was pointless.

They could have just cut prices of non-super cards.

Instead, they cut prices of non-super cards and released super variants that cost the same and perform close to the next tier non-super cards.
What's the point, they cost the same and perform nearly the same.

This triggered a thought in my head:
Does this also mean you could turn a 2070 super into a 2080 since they can turn a 2080 into a 2070 super? Perhaps only if you got one of the cards affected by the above?
As gamers nexus showed in a teardown video, the 2060 super uses a 2070 die and the 2070 super uses a 2080 die.
This proves the whole super launch was pointless.

They could have just cut prices of non-super cards.

Instead, they cut prices of non-super cards and released super variants that cost the same and perform close to the next tier non-super cards.
What's the point, they cost the same and perform nearly the same.

This triggered a thought in my head:
Does this also mean you could turn a 2070 super into a 2080 since they can turn a 2080 into a 2070 super? Perhaps only if you got one of the cards affected by the above?
As gamers nexus showed in a teardown video, the 2060 super uses a 2070 die and the 2070 super uses a 2080 die.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution
Last edited:
Most of his content is just regurgitated news.

I like that channel since you can listen to all of the key points of recent tech news in one place without having to read entire articles on multiple websites.

He does do his own testing and other things tho. He talks about AMD a lot, so very relevent for me as both my CPU+GPU are AMD.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.