[SOLVED] RTX 2060 Super Clock speeds have dropped

sw3000

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Hi all. This is strange (to me). I have an RTX 2060 Super, w/Ryzen 7 2700x (overclocked in bios to 4.15ghz in bios, along with 16gb RAM, 3200mhz dual channel) that this evening when I checked with CPUID, and Open Hardware, shows that my clock and memory speeds are dipping WAY below stock to 300mhz clock, and 405 memory..when they should be at stock, 1400 mhz and 7001 memory. I have made NO changes whatsoever..and I don't know what's going on. I have the latest windows 10 update, the latest Nividia graphics driver for the RTX 2060 Super (as of tonight, I had the latest driver re-installed, re-started the computer, and this is still going on), latest BIOS for my motherboard (B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC), etc. I just noticed this out of the blue!! Now, before I game, I do open EVGA's Precision X1 and over-clock the clock and memory speeds to about 1995 mhz, and everything has been completely stable. As a matter of fact, when I open the program, it sets a overclock speed to 1905mhz...but it's strange now that the base clock and memory speeds have dipped for no reason. Does anyone have any info on this?!! I'm requesting assistance! (btw, my RTX 2060 Super is only 2 months old and has performed impeccably!)

Solution
WELL, IT'S RESOLVED..and it's almost a "face-palm" moment! Well, as I mentioned, I use EVGA's Precision X1 to overclock my RTX 2060 Super. I never had any issues. But, sometimes the on screen display feature doesn't appear in certain games (allows one to see performance elements of one's rig during the game). I've noticed lots of tech/computer enthusiast on YouTube, use MSI Afterburner...which I figured it featured something which allowed a more consistent on-screen display . A couple of weeks ago, I downloaded and tried it out, but I discovered it wasn't to my liking. Well apparently, I had made some adjustments to the clock speed, voltage that I forgot about...hence, my recent low clock speeds when I boot, i.e. what this thread is...
Jan 22, 2020
i have the exact same card
power setting > high performance = constant 1470mhz core clock , 7000mhz memory clock
power setting > balanced = low gpu usage constant 300mhz core clock , 405mhz memory clock spikes up when gpu is used more
Specs:
Ryzen 7 3700X @ 3.6GHz,MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI AMD X570 So.AM4, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4-3200 DIMM, 8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER GAMING OC 3X 8G 256 bit 1 x HDMI 3 x DP, 600 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM Modular 80+ Gold ,SSD for Windows ,HDD for rest

Reactions: sw3000

sw3000

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
power setting > high performance = constant 1470mhz core clock , 7000mhz memory clock
power setting > balanced = low gpu usage constant 300mhz core clock , 405mhz memory clock spikes up when gpu is used more
Specs:
Ryzen 7 3700X @ 3.6GHz,MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI AMD X570 So.AM4, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4-3200 DIMM, 8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER GAMING OC 3X 8G 256 bit 1 x HDMI 3 x DP, 600 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM Modular 80+ Gold ,SSD for Windows ,HDD for rest
Thanks AltheAvengerx3...I just never noticed the low gpu usage speeds when I open OpenHardware or CPUID app..but it makes sense, and I'm sure I have the same power/performance settings.

sw3000

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Specs:
I just checked my power setting, and it IS set to high-performance. I do notice within the CPUID app it occasionally spikes to the 1470mhz/7000. Strange. It hasn't done this before. (I purchased a new Power Supply in Dec. as well...absolutely no problems, if that even correlates). I don't know what is creating this. I can't even watch 1080p videos without going into precision x1. This just started happening last night.

sw3000

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
No, old cards didn't used to do that so it confused me when I first saw it too. Run furmark stress test or something and watch your clock speeds.
The thing is Remeca, in Windows 10, my Power Setting is set to "Performance", and when the computer boots, the base clock speeds have been consistently 1400mhz, and 7001mhz for the memory. I have not changed the settings at all, and all of a sudden I am getting these lower clock speeds. All updates and drivers are current. Just out of the blue. The only thing that has "returned" it to it's base, and then overclock speed is Precision X1...which is my answer for now, because I use it to overclock prior to booting games, but I shouldn't have to use it to move it out of these strange power-dip lower clock speeds. Hope this makes sense. (And in terms of power, I got a new 750w PSU in late November, and everything has been iron-clad stable until last night).

sw3000

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
WELL, IT'S RESOLVED..and it's almost a "face-palm" moment! Well, as I mentioned, I use EVGA's Precision X1 to overclock my RTX 2060 Super. I never had any issues. But, sometimes the on screen display feature doesn't appear in certain games (allows one to see performance elements of one's rig during the game). I've noticed lots of tech/computer enthusiast on YouTube, use MSI Afterburner...which I figured it featured something which allowed a more consistent on-screen display . A couple of weeks ago, I downloaded and tried it out, but I discovered it wasn't to my liking. Well apparently, I had made some adjustments to the clock speed, voltage that I forgot about...hence, my recent low clock speeds when I boot, i.e. what this thread is about! SO, yesterday, after the night-previous being involved with Nvidia's online tech support for hours (which was a decent experience, involved de-bugging, a clean re-install of drivers, etc.) the first thing I did was go into Nvidia control panel and set all settings that supposedly creates the most optimal experience for gaming..performance-based. After that, un-installed both Precision X1 and MSI Afterburner...crossed my fingers, re-booted my computer, and voila...my base clock speed is back to 1470mhz and 7001 clock speed! (I did re-download Precision X1 for overclocking..it is my absolute favorite..it works and is stable, etc.) So, I am pretty stoked, because I was one step away from RMA 'ing the card. I hope this may help someone out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Remeca
Solution

sw3000

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Hi all. This is strange (to me). I have an RTX 2060 Super, w/Ryzen 7 2700x (overclocked in bios to 4.15ghz in bios, along with 16gb RAM, 3200mhz dual channel) that this evening when I checked with CPUID, and Open Hardware, shows that my clock and memory speeds are dipping WAY below stock to 300mhz clock, and 405 memory..when they should be at stock, 1400 mhz and 7001 memory. I have made NO changes whatsoever..and I don't know what's going on. I have the latest windows 10 update, the latest Nividia graphics driver for the RTX 2060 Super (as of tonight, I had the latest driver re-installed, re-started the computer, and this is still going on), latest BIOS for my motherboard (B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC), etc. I just noticed this out of the blue!! Now, before I game, I do open EVGA's Precision X1 and over-clock the clock and memory speeds to about 1995 mhz, and everything has been completely stable. As a matter of fact, when I open the program, it sets a overclock speed to 1905mhz...but it's strange now that the base clock and memory speeds have dipped for no reason. Does anyone have any info on this?!! I'm requesting assistance! (btw, my RTX 2060 Super is only 2 months old and has performed impeccably!)
For clarification, I've been saying the base-clock is 1400mhz, it's actually 1470mhz