[SOLVED] RTX 2060 Super performing really bad

Oct 1, 2020
So my new RTX 2060 Super is performing way below expected. In games like Assetto Corsa, Prey and Outer Worlds (the one I'm currently trying to play). This GPU is supposed to handle these games no problem at all but I get FPS drops all over the place and can't keep even 60 a lot of times even without the settings being fully maxed out. I'm getting like 90 FPS in Outer Worlds right now but that's just when I stay put and don't move the camera. After using Rivatuner I found out the usage is dropping to 20% or even below for fractions of seconds when I turn the camera, especially bad if I turn the camera fast.
What could be happening? It doesn't seem to be CPU bottleneck nor would this CPU bottleneck this hard even if it did at all.

Specs: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super
MSI B450M PRO-M2 Max
Vengeance LPX 2x8GB
Ryzen 5 1600X (overclocked, problem was there before)
be quiet! Pure Rock Slim
EVGA 600W W1

I'am aware that the PSU is a weakpoint and have been told before, could this be the problem? The voltage seemed to be just fine.

Thanks.

Oct 1, 2020
After talking to a guy with a similar problem I concluded that most likely the PSU is at fault since we both have a bad PSU and the rest we check off such as clean install of windows, etc. Still looking for an expert's opinion though.

After doing what I though was putting the settings on default but having to reset CMOS instead here you go: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/34213753

Memory model: CMK16GX4M2D3000C16

The results reflect pretty much the same as before but even worse without the overclocking.
Yeah, I wouldn't use that. There's a reason why tech experts call it "Loser Benchmark". Run something like Unigine Superposition or 3DMark Time Spy because those will give you specific (and relevant) graphics scores that you can compare to other RTX 2060 Supers and it lets you see the other scores. Loser Benchmark is more or less useless because nobody knows what its criteria are.
After talking to a guy with a similar problem I concluded that most likely the PSU is at fault since we both have a bad PSU and the rest we check off such as clean install of windows, etc. Still looking for an expert's opinion though.
I would classify myself as an expert and I don't think that it's your PSU. PSUs don't cause computers to run slower, they cause them to stop running altogether. If your GPU was being starved of juice, it wouldn't be running slow, it wouldn't be running at all or it would run normally and crash under load.

The only thing that causes a video card to run slower than normal is HEAT. What kind of case do you have, what fans do you use and what's your cable management like? Those would be the questions that you'd want to answer.

Heat causes CPUs and GPUs to throttle. A lack of electricity causes them to crash.

Reactions: rickypicky5
Oct 1, 2020
Yeah, I wouldn't use that. There's a reason why tech experts call it "Loser Benchmark". Run something like Unigine Superposition or 3DMark Time Spy because those will give you specific (and relevant) graphics scores that you can compare to other RTX 2060 Supers and it lets you see the other scores. Loser Benchmark is more or less useless because nobody knows what its criteria are.

I would classify myself as an expert and I don't think that it's your PSU. PSUs don't cause computers to run slower, they cause them to stop running altogether. If your GPU was being starved of juice, it wouldn't be running slow, it wouldn't be running at all or it would run normally and crash under load.

The only thing that causes a video card to run slower than normal is HEAT. What kind of case do you have, what fans do you use and what's your cable management like? Those would be the questions that you'd want to answer.

Heat causes CPUs and GPUs to throttle. A lack of electricity causes them to crash.
Pretty sure heat isn't the problem, the GPU has never surpassed around 83ºC and that was under extreme stress not gaming. I'll do the benchmarks and post the results.
Edit: One of the fans does make a sort of noise when it spins fast but it seems to be gone.
Edit2: I did run Heaven Benchmark and the score comes up normal which is weird, and some games such as Doom Eternal work at 100+ FPS.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020
p.png

Oct 1, 2020
83° C is pretty toasty. I think the max operating temperature for the 2060 Super is 88° C. I would think it'd start to throttle before it hits the max operating temperature.
Agreed, but it rarely, very rarely reaches those temps, only during stress tests and the such, and that was like 2 or 3 weeks ago, now that it's colder outside the GPU has even better cooling so heat can't be the issue.

Agreed, but it rarely, very rarely reaches those temps, only during stress tests and the such, and that was like 2 or 3 weeks ago, now that it's colder outside the GPU has even better cooling so heat can't be the issue.
I would download and install GPU-Z and check temperatures anyway. It certainly couldn't hurt and it is possible the GPU fans or some case fans aren't doing their job.

Oct 1, 2020
I would download and install GPU-Z and check temperatures anyway. It certainly couldn't hurt and it is possible the GPU fans or some case fans aren't doing their job.
Already did, no apparent problems. Could the GPU somehow come broken from factory? Shouldn't the sensors pick up something? Could changing the GPU power connector help?
Next step is to try a fresh install of Windows I guess, or is there something I could try first?

So what temperatures
Already did, no apparent problems. Could the GPU somehow come broken from factory? Shouldn't the sensors pick up something? Could changing the GPU power connector help?
Next step is to try a fresh install of Windows I guess, or is there something I could try first?
No apparent problems. So what temperatures are you seeing while gaming?

What is the make/model of your GPU? How old is your PSU? Shouldn't WHAT sensors pick up something?

Oct 1, 2020
So what temperatures

What is the make/model of your GPU? How old is your PSU? Shouldn't WHAT sensors pick up something?
The sensors that GPU-Z can pick up. It's a Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super and both the PSU and GPU are about 2 months old, it's a new build, only the CPU is 4 or 5 months old. I'll check the temperatures in game

Oct 1, 2020
So what temperatures

So it gets to 61ºC max temperatures according to GPU-Z. GPU load is at 83% max but rarely reaches that point, however when I used Riva Tuner it seemed to be alright, furthermore Outerworlds isn't really a very demanding game, still it begs the question could it be a bottleneck and if so how? This CPU is supposed to work just fine with this GPU, even overclocked I had problems. CPU had a max temp of 51ºC btw.

Pretty sure heat isn't the problem, the GPU has never surpassed around 83ºC and that was under extreme stress not gaming. I'll do the benchmarks and post the results.
Edit: One of the fans does make a sort of noise when it spins fast but it seems to be gone.
Edit2: I did run Heaven Benchmark and the score comes up normal which is weird, and some games such as Doom Eternal work at 100+ FPS.
On Edit2: Maybe the games you are playing aren't coded and/or optimized to make good use of the 2060 Super? Maybe try another demanding game and/or another benchmark. Or, maybe, try reinstalling the games you are playing?

Oct 1, 2020
On Edit2: Maybe the games you are playing aren't coded and/or optimized to make good use of the 2060 Super? Maybe try another demanding game and/or another benchmark. Or, maybe, try reinstalling the games you are playing?
That doesn't make much sense since a lot of my games, the majority actually don't work properly and they are supposed to, like I said, only game that worked properly so far was Doom Eternal. Even Among Us gets FPS drops or basically freezes depending on how fast I move there cursor around, though that seems to be only when Discord o Opera are opened. Didn't mean to sound rude if it did but this is kinda of a nightmare since it's a brand new build and so far I couldn't find any answers online.
Edit: Maybe I should add that the CPU was bought used, but no apparent problems there either.

Last edited:
You had mentioned 3 games that 'didn't work as expected' and 1 game that did. I thought, perhaps, that Doom Eternal was a more recent game that may have been written to take advantage of more cores/threads, therefore it was performing better. You also mentioned that Heaven Benchmark score 'comes up normal', which, to me, is very telling. Frankly, I've never heard of the other 3 games you mentioned that you are having issues with. Now there's a 4th one, Among Us, that doesn't run to your expectations.

You also didn't mention if you installed the new GPU before or after you installed the games? Maybe the games that aren't working properly detect you're GPU when they're installing and tailor the installation accordingly. I doubt this, but I thought it may be worth a try to reinstall a game that currently isn't working properly.

Do your games mostly have issues when 'you move the camera'? In other words, when you move the mouse pointer? I know Heaven Benchmark doesn't require any user input, and it 'comes up normal'. Maybe there's something wrong with your mouse, or the drivers for your mouse, or your mouse settings? Is it a USB mouse? If so, maybe try another USB port?

Oct 1, 2020
Some games drop FPS when moving cursor, others the camera, maybe it has something to do with the mouse but that doesn't really explain bad performance other scenarios where I don't move the camera, or other games like Minecraft RTX which the FPS is consistent and good but the game straight up crashes. Also in benchmarks the GPU performance usually although good it's "spiky" instead of linear and consistent.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gihuTQ34nG0
(Here is a video of a guy playing Outer Worlds with an older GPU and a version below CPU)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srKUMeml1Kg
(Another example)

I should in the least be getting the same performance as them but instead I get lower fps with lower settings and a better PC, I'm going to do a clean install of windows and see how that goes, I've pretty much run of any other ideas.