[SOLVED] RTX 2070 and 4k@60fps

salawow

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
My specs: Ryzen 2700x, RTX 2070, 16gb ram, nothing is overclocked.

If i was okay about settings graphics to low/medium, could i run any games in 4k and get a constant 60fps ? If not, could anyone name a few titles that i wouldn't be able to run at 4k@60fps ?

Solution
To answer your first question, yes, it is subjective and depends entirely on the game being played. For me personally, the only kind of up-scaling I like to use is DLSS 2.0. Any other type of scaling (in my opinion) ruins the look of 4K so its not something I use. I have a 4K G-Sync monitor, so I prefer to just run at full resolution and allow my fps to drop below 60 fps if I have to.

To answer your second question, it would be logical that four times the pixels requires four times the processing power, but this is not actually the case. When comparing the GPU utilization between 1080p and 4K, I have noticed that 4K requires closer to 2 times the power, vs 4 like you would expect. I don't know why this is and it probably varies some...
It depends entirely on the type of games you would want to play. Games like resident Evil 2/3, Control, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare should do ok with settings turned down for 4k 60 FPS, but lots of other stuff will have to be turned all the way down and even then might have difficulty: Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Red Dead Redemption 2, Metro Exodus, Gears 5, etc. It'll only get harder to hit 4K 60 FPS in AAA games because the bar to hit 60 fps in them keeps advancing as new games come out.

salawow

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
Thanks for your answer !

It depends entirely on the type of games you would want to play.

I'm mostly interrested in sandbox and open world games. Here's a list of games that i'm currently playing:

Satisfactory
Space Engineers
Mount and Blade: Bannerlord
No man's sky
Elite: Dangerous
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Ark Survival Evolved
Planet Coaster
Skyrim (heavily modded)

Another question, i know it's subjective and probably depend on the game, but generally, what looks better on a 4k monitor, a game in 4k with all graphics to low or 1080p upscalled to 4k with graphics set to high/ultra ?

Also, just had i thought. Can i assume that if a game at 1080p use more than 25% GPU at full clock, it won't run at 4k@60fps ? Is it as simple as that ?

To answer your first question, yes, it is subjective and depends entirely on the game being played. For me personally, the only kind of up-scaling I like to use is DLSS 2.0. Any other type of scaling (in my opinion) ruins the look of 4K so its not something I use. I have a 4K G-Sync monitor, so I prefer to just run at full resolution and allow my fps to drop below 60 fps if I have to.

To answer your second question, it would be logical that four times the pixels requires four times the processing power, but this is not actually the case. When comparing the GPU utilization between 1080p and 4K, I have noticed that 4K requires closer to 2 times the power, vs 4 like you would expect. I don't know why this is and it probably varies some from game to game, but twice as much is a good estimate for determining how much GPU power you'll need to run a given game at 4K.

I'm assuming based on your questions that you are interested in purchasing a 4K monitor. If you are and want to run it with your RTX 2070, 100% make sure to get a G-Sync Monitor. It will allow you to run under 60 fps without the usual problems such as tearing with V-sync off or jittering with V-sync on. G-Sync is very much a game changer and I will never buy a monitor without it. I have also observed a small performance uptick when using G-sync monitors: by putting your GPU in charge of the refresh rate, you are removing the latency normally involved when your GPU waits to draw the next frame which causes your GPU to render at a slightly reduced output. I have easily recaptured 5+ fps on certain games with G-Sync on vs off.

Just to point something out to you, with 4K g-sync, if you can run a game at 1080p 60 fps, you can probably run it at 4k 30 fps. For some games, 30 fps isn't enough, but if it's a slower-paced game, a variable 30-45 fps at 4k is just fine. G-sync gives you flexibility.

Solution

salawow

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014

To answer your second question, it would be logical that four times the pixels requires four times the processing power, but this is not actually the case. When comparing the GPU utilization between 1080p and 4K, I have noticed that 4K requires closer to 2 times the power, vs 4 like you would expect. I don't know why this is and it probably varies some from game to game, but twice as much is a good estimate for determining how much GPU power you'll need to run a given game at 4K.

I'm assuming based on your questions that you are interested in purchasing a 4K monitor. If you are and want to run it with your RTX 2070, 100% make sure to get a G-Sync Monitor. It will allow you to run under 60 fps without the usual problems such as tearing with V-sync off or jittering with V-sync on. G-Sync is very much a game changer and I will never buy a monitor without it. I have also observed a small performance uptick when using G-sync monitors: by putting your GPU in charge of the refresh rate, you are removing the latency normally involved when your GPU waits to draw the next frame which causes your GPU to render at a slightly reduced output. I have easily recaptured 5+ fps on certain games with G-Sync on vs off.

Just to point something out to you, with 4K g-sync, if you can run a game at 1080p 60 fps, you can probably run it at 4k 30 fps. For some games, 30 fps isn't enough, but if it's a slower-paced game, a variable 30-45 fps at 4k is just fine. G-sync gives you flexibility.

Thanks you very much for your thorough explanation !

So yes, i'm shopping for a new monitor. I need it as soon as possible (gotta give my current 1080p to my wife since her monitor broke). My choice is a bit limited though, since i need financing, my current only options are to buy directly from either Samsung or Lenovo. (no need more details about why).

I was eyeballing this monitor (Samsung UR59C): https://www.samsung.com/ca/monitors/ur59c/

It has all the requirements that i want. VA panel, Curved, 32 inches, great colors, no-flickering, acceptable response time for a VA panel (read it from test/reviews), 16:9 ratio. However it doesn't have either G-sync or Freesync.

How important is G-Sync for me, considering that i will never play any game that i can't get 60fps (dipping bellow 55ish gives me nausea, literally, even in slow-paced turn-based strategy games), and the fact that i don't mind the input lag introduced by enabling V-Sync ?

Mario Italia

Great
Jul 12, 2020
Thats more or less the domain of the 2080 Ti, and even in some benchmarks I've still seen it slip below 60.

I still really think 4k gaming is.... kinda not worth it. Even if you have a display at greater than 60hz, you're still going to be below 60 in a lot of scenarios. Whereas 1440P, all the RTX cards will deliver 100+ FPS with high/ultra settings no problem.

Thanks you very much for your thorough explanation !

So yes, i'm shopping for a new monitor. I need it as soon as possible (gotta give my current 1080p to my wife since her monitor broke). My choice is a bit limited though, since i need financing, my current only options are to buy directly from either Samsung or Lenovo. (no need more details about why).

I was eyeballing this monitor (Samsung UR59C): https://www.samsung.com/ca/monitors/ur59c/

It has all the requirements that i want. VA panel, Curved, 32 inches, great colors, no-flickering, acceptable response time for a VA panel (read it from test/reviews), 16:9 ratio. However it doesn't have either G-sync or Freesync.

How important is G-Sync for me, considering that i will never play any game that i can't get 60fps (dipping bellow 55ish gives me nausea, literally, even in slow-paced turn-based strategy games), and the fact that i don't mind the input lag introduced by enabling V-Sync ?

It's up to you man, its your money, not mine. If you've never used a g-sync monitor, then you don't know how well it keeps frame rate dips into the 50 fps range from feeling like dips into the 50 fps range. If you're convinced that it won't be useful for you, then make the decision you are most comfortable with; I just want you to make the most-informed decision based on your needs, that's all.

salawow

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
It's up to you man, its your money, not mine. If you've never used a g-sync monitor, then you don't know how well it keeps frame rate dips into the 50 fps range from feeling like dips into the 50 fps range. If you're convinced that it won't be useful for you, then make the decision you are most comfortable with; I just want you to make the most-informed decision based on your needs, that's all.

Thanks again for all your input ! It will certainly help me make a more knowledgeable decision. I'll sleep on that and make my choice tomorrow. Cheers ! :)