Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2019
System:
I5 4690k
Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
1000w Rosewill Psu
16gb of corsair vengeance ddr3
Z97 Gaming 5 Mobo

When running GTA 5 on maxed settings im getting 45% GPU usage max (obtained via MSI afterburner). CPU usage doesn't go beyond 75% and neither cpu nor gpu get hotter than 55c. My GTA & other rw benchmarks stutter at points and fps clearly drops below 60 often.

I even bench-marked in MC to test real world fps and was getting as low as 50fps at times in populated servers. Compared to my friends 1080, while standing next to each other in the same mc server, I was getting roughly half the fps he was getting.

My CPU doesnt seem to be bottleneck, my GPU just doesnt want to run at 100% period. Any suggestions or ideas are very welcomed, thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23198250

Theres the user benchmark, will grab some cpu/gpu usage % screenshots from in-game as well

Edit* For Minecraft Cpu cores 1-4 dont go over 45% usage and Gpu usage is a <20% never higher on either, Fps drops below 60 at times. Gta 5 had no higher than 80% Cpu usage on any individual core and 50% Gpu usage max.
Only one thing really stands out, and it's the 8GBs remaining on your main system drive. 120GBs is small for an OS drive now.
That'll slow down the OS, which just LOVES running task after task in the background, which will slow down everything else.

The rest is caused by:
1)Game settings.
-Did you install the last driver without Geforce Experience? If not, download and...
Dec 25, 2019
Ill post a screen of the GPU/CPU results tomorrow however I can tell you for certain it isnt a CPU bottleneck. In Squad I was getting 75% gpu usage and 85% cpu, its like the GPU only ramps up to the minimum amount needed to sustain 60fps (vsync off). This leads to stuttering and poor performance. Even in Minecraft GPU usage was at or below 10% never higher

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I can tell you for certain it isnt a CPU bottleneck.
The problem with that is people constantly look at cpu usage as a whole, and that's wrong.
They have multiple logical processors, and thus, they should ALL be accounted for. Your 4690K has 4 of these, and so you need to monitor each one.
You can be cpu limited on just one core/thread.

In Squad I was getting 75% gpu usage and 85% cpu...
And 85% of a 4690K is equivalent to 100% on 3 threads and 40% on another. I'd call that a cpu limitation.

Even in Minecraft GPU usage was at or below 10% never higher
Minecraft is heavily cpu bound. It runs off of only 2-3 threads.

Then again, it may have something to do with the version of the game you play, and will require changing the game's settings in Nvidia Control Panel.

Reactions: dotas1
Dec 25, 2019
I monitor all 4 cores of the CPU and there doesn't appear to be a max load out on any single core yet. Trust me ik people get thrown off by the averages, especially when viewing from the averaged # of task manager. While using afterburner I haven't seen a peak on any of the cores. Even when playing easy games to run my GPU just decides that it doesn't feel like running at peak performance. When ive bench marked and compared these real world results to friends with the same cpu on the same base clock in the same game ive received considerably less fps, usually on the average of 1/2 of what they're receiving. (tested against a 1080 with a 4690k across MC, GTA and league.)

Ive tried editing the power preference in the control panel to no avail. I've also done a safe mode DDU on the drivers and didnt see any change. Ive tried to eliminate as many variables as possible but still havent seen any change in fps. Even for MC the 4690k on 1080p with an RTX2070 really shouldnt be netting me 60fps lol

Any other solutions you might be able to think of?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23198250

Theres the user benchmark, will grab some cpu/gpu usage % screenshots from in-game as well

Edit* For Minecraft Cpu cores 1-4 dont go over 45% usage and Gpu usage is a <20% never higher on either, Fps drops below 60 at times. Gta 5 had no higher than 80% Cpu usage on any individual core and 50% Gpu usage max.
Only one thing really stands out, and it's the 8GBs remaining on your main system drive. 120GBs is small for an OS drive now.
That'll slow down the OS, which just LOVES running task after task in the background, which will slow down everything else.

The rest is caused by:
1)Game settings.
-Did you install the last driver without Geforce Experience? If not, download and run Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the driver, and reinstall it without GE.
-In Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings, set Power management mode to either Adaptive or Max. Vertical sync set to either Off or Fast.
-On the Program Settings tab, is the Minecraft executable set to use the gpu?
-VSync is off in the actual game menu?
-Windows set to high performance power plan?
-Windows Game Mode and Game Bar are disabled?

2)Is the PC 'clean'?
-Run Adwcleaner, as it's pretty good at finding malware that tends to get past antivirus programs.

3)Drivers and missing or corrupted Windows files.
-Gpu drivers: already covered
-Run a Windows DISM and system scan: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker
-Motherboard drivers up to date? https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97-GAMING-5#down-driver

Solution
Dec 25, 2019

The rest is caused by:
1)Game settings.
-Did you install the last driver without Geforce Experience? If not, download and run Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the driver, and reinstall it without GE.
-In Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings, set Power management mode to either Adaptive or Max. Vertical sync set to either Off or Fast.
-On the Program Settings tab, is the Minecraft executable set to use the gpu?
-VSync is off in the actual game menu?
-Windows set to high performance power plan?
-Windows Game Mode and Game Bar are disabled?

2)Is the PC 'clean'?
-Run Adwcleaner, as it's pretty good at finding malware that tends to get past antivirus programs.

3)Drivers and missing or corrupted Windows files.
-Gpu drivers: already covered
-Run a Windows DISM and system scan: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker
-Motherboard drivers up to date? https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97-GAMING-5#down-driver

Ive tried all of that and nothing :(
The benchmarks are very high for user benchmark and the Furmark score was 10468. Gpu usage through the furmark bench was 98% (60c peak) cpu on core 1 & 2 was 97% (3&4 not utilized for avg of 50%). Games just dont want to seem to utilize my card.

-Just running Mincraft as an easy benchmark, im getting 20fps in singleplayer... Gpu temps dont move

Dec 25, 2019
Good News! I appear to have fixed the issue by clean installing windows onto my C (didnt clean the D) then turning on XMP in the bios. After that, I got onto the 441.08 drivers. In GTA singleplayer my usage was 99% with cpu fairly maxed as well. Minecraft still runs like <Mod Edit> but after further analysis its just a hard CPU bottleneck I guess. Game doesnt like GPUs lol

For anyone having this same problem heres what Id recommend:
-Enable windows High Performance power plan
-Roll back to old drivers
-Turn off Vsync and turn power management to prefer maximum performance in Nvidia Control Panel
-Turn on XMP for your ram in your bios <----- This might have been the making or breaking step.
-If all else fails wipe your pc clean and repeat those steps
-Keep in mind on 1080p your cpu will often bottleneck your gpu
-Minecraft is an awful game for gpus and little to no utilization is normal for these high end cards

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'll have to keep that in mind.
People frequently complain about getting Minecraft to run on their gpus(especially laptop users), but the game engine doesn't give 2 licks about discreet gpus.
Most of the rendering is done by the cpu; Minecraft RTX will probably change that.

-Keep in mind on 1080p your cpu will often bottleneck your gpu
That really depends on the overall combination of hardware. Balance is important.
If anyone told you the gpu is the most important hardware in a gaming PC, they're flat out wrong.
But in your situation, a 4690K is a lopsided combination with a 2070 Super at just 1080p.

Reactions: Mohanad9555
Status
Not open for further replies.