[SOLVED] RTX 2070 Super Low fps

Jan 20, 2020
Hi, I just build a pc with a ryzen 5 2600x, 16 GBS of corsair 3200 Mhz ram, and an RTX 2070 super. I have been rather disappointed with the fps I get on games such as GTA 5 online, and rainbow 6 siege. On all max settings in GTA 5 online, I get 50 to 60 fps, and on all max on rainbow six, I get 70 to 75. I feel like for a high-end GPU I should be able to hit 100 easily on both of these games. I have checked bottlenecking and the GPU gets around 90 percent and the CPU around 40 on both games, and I don't think the GPU is bottlenecked. Also, note that my power supply makes and GPU make high pitched noises, and I know the GPU must have coil whine, but I don't think that affects performance, correct? The PSU I need to return because I called a local tech shop and they told me that it has some broken part in it, but I also do not think that should affect performance. I used user benchmark to test the pc, and the CPU had a great score, while the 2070 super only got 46%. This does not seem right. I have a 144 Hz 1080p monitor, and I just want a smooth over 100 fps gaming experience with my expensive GPU. Can anyone help diagnose the issue?

Solution
So after adjusting the nvidia settings, you're still getting low fps in gta online? Is this an issue with all games? How's fps in single player? Other titles?

What kind of cable are you hooked up with? If hdmi, is it a new hdmi cable? I'm not sure if this will actually be an issue, but it's possible.

Run timespy or firestrike. Free on steam. And compare your results with similar systems.

The psu may very well be an issue, especially since you've already stated it's got some broken something going on.

yksi

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2015
Do you have a temperature monitor? I also have this issue with my RTX 2070. I've been searching around and I always see people have a Max temperature of exactly 78 degrees C. I'm not sure if that matters, but it seems odd that it ALWAYS has that temperature when I am getting the worst FPS drops.

This is my benchmarking... I'm clearly throttled by the GPU unless there's something I'm not understanding.

A0evSb9.png

I see a lot of complaints about this card... I'm not sure how to attempt to diagnose or fix this before just writing the card off as defective.

EDIT: Wait a minute I was reading and apparently RAM speed impacts Ryzen systems a lot on the GPU. My RAM is supposed to run at 3200MHz but my BIOS has it set to 2133. Perhaps that's the issue

Last edited:
What i can tell you right now though is that my psu is a 600w thermaltake, the model is ATX 12v i believe
ATX is the form factor of the psu, not the model number. Thermaltake has some questionable quality psus, some are ok, others are garbage. Definitely need the exact model to determine which it is.

If the psu is not supplying proper voltage to the gpu, it will have the issues you are experiencing.

For sure report back with your full system specs including psu as well as what your load temps are on the gpu.

Jan 20, 2020
ATX is the form factor of the psu, not the model number. Thermaltake has some questionable quality psus, some are ok, others are garbage. Definitely need the exact model to determine which it is.

If the psu is not supplying proper voltage to the gpu, it will have the issues you are experiencing.

For sure report back with your full system specs including psu as well as what your load temps are on the gpu.
Here is the Model number : SP-600AH2NKW

full specs are
MOBO- Tomohawk B450
cpu-ryzen 5 2600x
gpu-rtx 2070 super
cpu cooler is the stock cooler
i have 3 cheap up here fans mounted on the top and back of the pc
16 gb corsair vengeance rgb ram (2x 8gb sticks)
case-corsair 220t
psu-thermaltake 600w

that’s it i believe
i will get the benchmark link and gpu temps when i get home

and lastly, do you want me to get the temps of the gpu while i’m in GTA v online, or a different game? and what program should i use to measure the temps, i currently use msi afterburner.

my_pc_build

Great
Nov 17, 2019
Here is the Model number : SP-600AH2NKW

full specs are
MOBO- Tomohawk B450
cpu-ryzen 5 2600x
gpu-rtx 2070 super
cpu cooler is the stock cooler
i have 3 cheap up here fans mounted on the top and back of the pc
16 gb corsair vengeance rgb ram (2x 8gb sticks)
case-corsair 220t
psu-thermaltake 600w

that’s it i believe
i will get the benchmark link and gpu temps when i get home

and lastly, do you want me to get the temps of the gpu while i’m in GTA v online, or a different game? and what program should i use to measure the temps, i currently use msi afterburner.
What's the detail on the ram (model number please)? Did you buy a matched set (one packet), or get 2 sticks of 8 Gb same model?

Jan 20, 2020
What's the detail on the ram (model number please)? Did you buy a matched set (one packet), or get 2 sticks of 8 Gb same model?
i can’t find the exact model number of the ram, but it’s listed on amazon as

corsair vengeance rgb pro 16 gb (2x 8gb) ddr4 3200 mhz c16 led desktop memory-black

the 2 sticks came in one package

Jan 20, 2020
while on all max settings on gta online, i’m running 55-60 fps
cpu temp-50

gpu temp-48

the weird thing is that my gpu usage is only like 50 percent and my cpu usage is around 30 percent

Here is the link to my benchmark page, and as you can see, the gpu is underperforming by quite a bit, is this because of my bad psu?

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23929906
I see a couple things here. Under the gpu it says turn off monitor sync. Do you have vsync enabled? Check in the nvidia control panel, as well as in game.

Ram. You have 3200 ram but it's currently only running at 2133mhz. Make sure xmp profile is enabled to run it at its rated speed.

The temps seem good. Almost too good for a gaming load, especially with the stock cpu cooler. Though it does make sense if it's only running at a fraction of its potential power. Make sure you're not on some power saver plan in nvidia control panel.

Jan 20, 2020
I see a couple things here. Under the gpu it says turn off monitor sync. Do you have vsync enabled? Check in the nvidia control panel, as well as in game.

Ram. You have 3200 ram but it's currently only running at 2133mhz. Make sure xmp profile is enabled to run it at its rated speed.

The temps seem good. Almost too good for a gaming load, especially with the stock cpu cooler. Though it does make sense if it's only running at a fraction of its potential power. Make sure you're not on some power saver plan in nvidia control panel.
I don’t have a power save plan on, it’s on high performance, but thanks for the ram thing, i didn’t realize it wasn’t running at full potential, but will that really make an fps change?
i do not have vsync on

Are you sure v-sync isn't forced on in the Nvidia control panel? The reason that your 2070 SUPER is showing up as underperforming in those userbenchmark results appears to be that the frame rate is being capped to your monitor's max refresh rate of 144Hz, which would be indicative of v-sync, or some other form of frame-limiter being enabled. Normally, a 2070 SUPER would average around 300-400fps in most of those tests, which is why your capped 144fps is showing up as underperforming.

On a similar topic, does your monitor happen to support either Freesync or G-sync over the connection you are using? If so, you should be able to enable adaptive sync in the settings of your monitor and in the Nvidia control panel, which can prevent screen tearing while smoothing performance at frame rates below 144fps.

As for the RAM, yeah, running it at just 2133 speed is bound to hurt your gaming performance in games that are demanding on the CPU. You should be able to enable the 3200 XMP profile from within your BIOS settings to enable the full speed. With a relatively powerful graphics card like that running at 1080p, most games will likely show at least somewhat better frame rates with the RAM set to its proper speed.

So in short...

1. Enable your 3200 memory profile in BIOS.
  2. Make sure you don't have v-sync enabled in the Nvidia control panel.
  3. Optionally enable FreeSync/G-Sync instead if your monitor supports it.

...Then run the benchmark again to verify whether the performance looks more normal.

my_pc_build

Great
Nov 17, 2019
Firstly, the problem with your PSU may (or may not) be affecting your system performance, depending on what that problem is.

Secondly, do you have the latest bios recommended for your CPU (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK)? Some of the AGESA updates for Ryzen have important positive impacts on performance.

Thirdly you have 'High background CPU (21%)' while running the benchmark, which makes interpretation a little more difficult - better to have everything shut down for the benchmark, including anti-virus software. (userbench isn't very scientific in many respects but where it highlights a problem it can be useful to ask why.)

Fourthly, do you have all of your drivers plus windows up to date? And yes update xmp profile in bios to get the most out of your memory as explained above.

Finally, yes it is possible that the problem with the PSU is causing performance problems with the GPU, really should get that fixed.

All the best.

Jan 20, 2020
Ok, thank you both for the replies. I went into bios and changed the memory profile to 3200 Mhz, but when I went onto GTA online, it didn't really affect the fps, it was still running about 50-60. I checked and I have the GPU drivers up to date, and I have the latest version of BIOS. I definitely don't have vsync enabled in the NVIDIA Control Panel. In the monitor settings, it shows g sync and free sync, but it is not available to select, so I'm guessing it is not supported with my Asus VG278q monitor. I really think it might be the PSU that is causing the performance issues. I don't know why the GPU is getting such a low score since I do not have VSync enabled in the control panel. Could it be from the faulty PSU? Any more thoughts?

A faulty psu is not going to make userbenchmark think you have some sort of sync enabled. So, somewhere you must have some sort of sync enabled.

Ryzen usually shows pretty large gains in fps with memory speed. Especially going from 2133 base to 3200. That should net you 20ish fps if not a tad more.

Double and triple check for any sync options enabled. Then run userbenchmark again. If it still says it's on, then try to figure out why.

Get your system running as good as possible. Then we can determine whether or not the psu is an issue. Right now, I'd say it's not. At least currently. With your setup, I'd assume 80fps if not more in gta online.

Your monitor states freesync. Whether ot not it's on the nvidia compatability list means little. You should still be able to enable gsync. You'll have to search a bit, but iirc, turn it on via your monitor. Then go into the nvidia control panel and the option should be there.

In the monitor settings, it shows g sync and free sync, but it is not available to select, so I'm guessing it is not supported with my Asus VG278q monitor.
That screen should support FreeSync, and is actually certified by Nvidia as being "G-Sync Compatible". You will need to connect it to your graphics card using a DisplayPort cable though, as Nvidia doesn't support the feature over HDMI or DVI. I probably should have mentioned that before. : P

It looks like the Nvidia control panel now has a frame limiter built in, so you might check that, as described here...

That shouldn't likely hurt performance if enabled, but much like V-Sync will throw off the UserBenchmark results by limiting your max FPS to what your monitor can display, rather then letting your frame rates reach hundreds of FPS in non-demanding scenarios like those used by the benchmark.

Jan 20, 2020
Ok. thank you for that information. i’m going to order a display port cable, so the user benchmark problem is solved. So do you think the psu is causing the low fps, or is there something else.