[SOLVED] RTX 2070 Super Low fps

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 20, 2020
Hi, I just build a pc with a ryzen 5 2600x, 16 GBS of corsair 3200 Mhz ram, and an RTX 2070 super. I have been rather disappointed with the fps I get on games such as GTA 5 online, and rainbow 6 siege. On all max settings in GTA 5 online, I get 50 to 60 fps, and on all max on rainbow six, I get 70 to 75. I feel like for a high-end GPU I should be able to hit 100 easily on both of these games. I have checked bottlenecking and the GPU gets around 90 percent and the CPU around 40 on both games, and I don't think the GPU is bottlenecked. Also, note that my power supply makes and GPU make high pitched noises, and I know the GPU must have coil whine, but I don't think that affects performance, correct? The PSU I need to return because I called a local tech shop and they told me that it has some broken part in it, but I also do not think that should affect performance. I used user benchmark to test the pc, and the CPU had a great score, while the 2070 super only got 46%. This does not seem right. I have a 144 Hz 1080p monitor, and I just want a smooth over 100 fps gaming experience with my expensive GPU. Can anyone help diagnose the issue?

Solution
So after adjusting the nvidia settings, you're still getting low fps in gta online? Is this an issue with all games? How's fps in single player? Other titles?

What kind of cable are you hooked up with? If hdmi, is it a new hdmi cable? I'm not sure if this will actually be an issue, but it's possible.

Run timespy or firestrike. Free on steam. And compare your results with similar systems.

The psu may very well be an issue, especially since you've already stated it's got some broken something going on.
So after adjusting the nvidia settings, you're still getting low fps in gta online? Is this an issue with all games? How's fps in single player? Other titles?

What kind of cable are you hooked up with? If hdmi, is it a new hdmi cable? I'm not sure if this will actually be an issue, but it's possible.

Run timespy or firestrike. Free on steam. And compare your results with similar systems.

The psu may very well be an issue, especially since you've already stated it's got some broken something going on.

Solution
Jan 20, 2020
yes, i turned off vsync and turned the fps cap to 240 in the control panel. i am at soccer right now but when i get home i will test the normal game and a few other games. I am using an hdmi cable that I found in my dusty basement, but that is just for displaying frames correct, not actually running them. it is not a new cable however. Yes, i called tech mate where i live and i told them of the high pitched noise coming from my psu, and they said something was broken with it and i should return it, which i’m going to, but i just wasn’t 100 percent sure that could lower fps. i will run those free steam programs as well when i get home. any other suggestions?

There's a few different hdmi cables. Newer hdmi, I think is 2.0 and can usually support max fps. Some of the older cables may be limited by the hz they can actually output. But hopefully someone with a little more knowledge can chime in on that subject.

If possible just turn off the frame rate cap, there's really zero need for it to be on.

See what happens in other games and the benchmarks. If they're all limited to that 60ish fps, you can start looking for other issues.

Yes a faulty psu can wreak havoc on a system. From low performance to crashes and everything in between.

Jan 20, 2020
There's a few different hdmi cables. Newer hdmi, I think is 2.0 and can usually support max fps. Some of the older cables may be limited by the hz they can actually output. But hopefully someone with a little more knowledge can chime in on that subject.

If possible just turn off the frame rate cap, there's really zero need for it to be on.

See what happens in other games and the benchmarks. If they're all limited to that 60ish fps, you can start looking for other issues.

Yes a faulty psu can wreak havoc on a system. From low performance to crashes and everything in between.
On rainbow six siege max settings, i was getting about 70-75, but when i get home i will test the benchmark again. I am going to return the PsU for sure, and i don’t think it lets me turn the frame rate cap off, but maybe it does. I am also ordering a new cable, display port.

Jan 20, 2020
On rainbow six siege max settings, i was getting about 70-75, but when i get home i will test the benchmark again. I am going to return the PsU for sure, and i don’t think it lets me turn the frame rate cap off, but maybe it does. I am also ordering a new cable, display port.
i just was thinking i should be getting over 100 fps for sure max settings on rainbow six

Jan 20, 2020
On Rainbow Six, on all max settings ( With the exception of anti-aliasing being at 2x instead of 4x) I am benchmarking a solid 120 fps average. With the anti-aliasing at 4x, it brings it down to 70 average. Is the anti-aliasing necessary to have at 4x or not? Im guessing it makes a very small difference,

I am still getting low fps on gta online though, probably because of my psu, which im going to return for sure

Jan 20, 2020
Last thing before I have to get off for the night

On GTA V Story mode ( Single Player) I am running 50 for both temps, about 70 - 80 sometimes going to 100 and sometimes dropping to 60 for fps, and the usage is 90 percent gpu and 45 percent cpu

Still feel like it should be higher

I just really like playing online so I would like to get that figured out, and I should have mentioned earlier, when I turn down the graphic settings online, the fps doesnt really improve

Any more thoughts? Sorry for the constant persistence

The single player fps makes sense. The online is odd, unless there's some kind of limit for online fps.

It could be psu related. Have you tried any other benchmarks. Firestrike or timespy from 3dmark. Then compare to other similar setups.

Usually when turning down the graphics settings and not seeing improvement, it's CPU related. CPU drives all the frames, then gpu renders them.

If you already know of an issue with the psu, I'd replace it and then do some further testing after to see. But it seems as though ots performing as expected in benchmarking software. Meaning it's more than likely getting the power it needs.

It was mentioned on the last page that your UserBenchmark results included a "High background CPU" notice, and I see that's still appearing in this new benchmark run, with background CPU usage now listed as being at 30%. Are you running any demanding programs in the background while running the benchmark? If such a program is running while you are gaming, it might be cutting into your CPU performance and potentially affecting frame rates.

Jan 20, 2020
It was mentioned on the last page that your UserBenchmark results included a "High background CPU" notice, and I see that's still appearing in this new benchmark run, with background CPU usage now listed as being at 30%. Are you running any demanding programs in the background while running the benchmark? If such a program is running while you are gaming, it might be cutting into your CPU performance and potentially affecting frame rates.
i will check that when i get home. I must be running some demanding programs in the background, but i don’t think those would lower fps that much

Jan 22, 2020
I had the same problem with R6.
I had 60-70fps..
It was "the render scaling slide " - take a look in graphics option. It was on 100% - in description is says that my resolution was 4k... it is funny, because I have 1080p monitor)