[SOLVED] RTX 2070 SUPER OC - Image display/POST only after the second power on - please help

Jan 10, 2019
Hello and thanks in advance for your help.

I recently purchased a Gigabyte GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ WINDFORCE OC 3X 8G GPU and after the hardware installation my computer did not POST on the first attempt, only on the second one each time and after that everything was working as it should, I assumed the GPU was faulty so I RMA'd and the store I bought it from sent me another new one.

Unfortunately I still have the same issue with the replacement GPU, whenever I shut down the computer if it stays powered off for a while the next time I start it there is no image, no post (all fans and LEDs powere up and that's all). I have to shutdown and restart and then everything works ok, I can play games or use the computer how much I want to with no issues. Today for example the computer started only after the third attempt because I shutdown the computer fast after powering it on used to this issue, and it didn't start , it needs to stay a bit with no image like a cold engine or something.

I did everything I could, updated BIOS to the latest version , reseated gpu, used a different pci e cable , used 2 different cables combined. Bought new RAM, used optimized default BIOS settings, nothing works. After it starts normally I can stress test anything and nothing happens, all the temps are ok, GPU stays @ 60 degrees in full load, cpu less than that. I assumed it might be a PSU issue but the PSU is 2 months old and it's 750 watt gold , the mbo is also recently bought and I had no issues whatsoever with my old ASUS DUAL GTX 1060 6G 0C GPU.

Also the GPU has some LED's which according to gigabyte should start blinking or stay powered on if there are any powering issues, but they only light up for a second when I power on and that's all. Any ideas or suggestions are more than welcomed.

MBO: Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 SUPER™ WINDFORCE OC 3X
RAM: 2x8 GB HyperX Fury RGB 3200 Mhz
PSU: DeepCool DQ750ST - (750 WATT - GOLD PLUS)
SSD: Adata 240 GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB
CASE: Segotep And 8 Black (4x120mm Fans)
Deepcool RGB 350 LED Lighting Kit

Solution
Check if Fast Startup is enabled on your device. If it is enabled, kindly disabled it. Follow the steps below on how:

1. Press Windows key + X
  2. Click Control Panel
  3. Click Power Options
  4. On the left pane, click Choose what the power button do.
  5. Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
  6. Under Shutdown settings remove the check on Turn on fast startup.
  7. Click Save Changes.
Check if Fast Startup is enabled on your device. If it is enabled, kindly disabled it. Follow the steps below on how:

1. Press Windows key + X
  2. Click Control Panel
  3. Click Power Options
  7. Click Save Changes.

Solution
Jan 10, 2019

1. Press Windows key + X
  2. Click Control Panel
  3. Click Power Options
  7. Click Save Changes.
Hi, after I did this I tried to see if the issue persists, after a normal shutdown I powered off the PSU and when I powered on the PC still no post/signal after the first try. On the second try however I got:

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired.
The OS couldn't be loaded because the kernel is missing or containing errors.
File:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Next attempt the same but this time winload.exe
Next 2 attempts the PC just got stuck at the AORUS logo screen where it displays the BIOS/BOOT/FLASH buttons guide
Final attempt I got some error code from bios telling me I am unable to boot due to hardware changes and it asked me to load optimized default settings and then the windows loaded succesfully

UPDATE: I finally fixed the issue by setting Power Loading to Disabled from AUTO in BIOS.

Many many thanks Nemesia.

I'm happy you fixed your problem!

it's was something Gigabyte implemented years ago to assist with C-states and older, incompatible PSUs....
I think it had something to do with keeping a decent load on the PSU, to avoid triggering a shutdown under certain circumstances but I'm not too sure about that.