[SOLVED] RTX 2070 super problem, computer freezing on Game start

PainBlame

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016
I have a msi RTX 2070 super gaming x trio

I have tried this GPU with my previous motherboard x99 with a i7 5820k CPU and it did the same thing.
I now have a brand new x570 asus prime motherboard with a ryzen 5 3600x with watercooler.

Every time i start a game, after about 2 mins my screen goes black, disconnects, and all the fans in my system go max speed intill i power down the computer. I am pretty sure this is a GPU problem. I have messed with the afterburner for sometime, at some point it works on other games and then it doesn't. I can not boost the power limit more than 111% or temp more than 88C on afterburner, i tried to underclock the GPU and i tried to also boost the Voltage at stock Memory and Core settings,and it still crashes.

At first when i kinda fixed it on my last computer i was boosted the power limit and then the power limit wouldn't be reached, YES THIS GPU REACHES THE POWER LIMIT ON STOCK SETTINGS. I have no idea why, but it does. This GPU requires an extra 4 pin connect FYI.

I know these parts are only 4 months old, so i cant find any support on this. I can not play Call of Duty Currently. Would this be a pcu problem? I have an EVGA 850 Wattz

and if anyone was curious about the new x570 motherboard having a fan built into the Motherboard... The tiny fan doesn't make any sound, and yes my massive 2070 super gpu covers the entire fan and the motherboard still has zero heating issues.

{UPDATE}

After unpluging the vcables i found this!

7KWzuRZ.jpg

xcvuHVK.jpg

Last edited:

cruz gomez

Honorable
Dec 30, 2014
It seems like its a constancy in part of your system. So if its hardware related it can either be your GPU or PSU. If you can do an exchange on your GPU I would go ahead and do that just to make sure its that.
Borrow a PSU from a friend or If you have a store with lenient return/exchange policies (Like Microcenter) try getting another PSU just to try and rule it out.

This is going to sound dumb on my part but, you mentioned it has an extra 4pin connection (Meaning in total 8 pins) do you have every pin connected to the GPU?
Are all the fans spinning up on the GPU?

PainBlame

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016
It seems like its a constancy in part of your system. So if its hardware related it can either be your GPU or PSU. If you can do an exchange on your GPU I would go ahead and do that just to make sure its that.
Borrow a PSU from a friend or If you have a store with lenient return/exchange policies (Like Microcenter) try getting another PSU just to try and rule it out.

This is going to sound dumb on my part but, you mentioned it has an extra 4pin connection (Meaning in total 8 pins) do you have every pin connected to the GPU?
Are all the fans spinning up on the GPU?

I feel as that it maybe a pcu issue because i am not sure if i have a proper cable for the gpu. These 20 serirs super gpus require an 2 identical 8x2 pin connectors. If you dont havr them plugged in, then the gpu says "please install all cables and restart" so it needs it. The thing is that im not sure if the cable i have is quite proper. It works but its not a cable that was directly made for this. But at the same time, im also thinking this is a softwarr issue, or a bad gpu all together.

cruz gomez

Honorable
Dec 30, 2014
I feel as that it maybe a pcu issue because i am not sure if i have a proper cable for the gpu. These 20 serirs super gpus require an 2 identical 8x2 pin connectors. If you dont havr them plugged in, then the gpu says "please install all cables and restart" so it needs it. The thing is that im not sure if the cable i have is quite proper. It works but its not a cable that was directly made for this. But at the same time, im also thinking this is a softwarr issue, or a bad gpu all together.
Typically the cables you need from your PSU to your GPU are labelled 'PCI-E' and its one cable that has both 8x2 connections. The CPU Connectors are also similar and a lot of people use those by accident and I suggest you dont use them, those cables are also labeled 'CPU'.

Whats the model of your PSU?

PainBlame

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016
Typically the cables you need from your PSU to your GPU are labelled 'PCI-E' and its one cable that has both 8x2 connections. The CPU Connectors are also similar and a lot of people use those by accident and I suggest you dont use them, those cables are also labeled 'CPU'.

Whats the model of your PSU?

I just found melted wiring in my PSU. Is that caused by overclocking too much?