[SOLVED] RTX 2070S to maybe rtx 3070 plus extra question

PaddyMcpadington

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2015
Hey everyone,

Probably been asked loads.
I've recently decided to buy an RTX 2070 Super at £430, Gigabyte Windforce edition.
The reason I've bought the rtx 2070s at such an odd time rather than waiting is because I gave my little brother my GTX 1070, so I then required a GPU in my pc ahah
Plus the stock issues of the RTX 3000s series could potentially mean myself with a graphics card till 2021

I'm struggling to justify whether or not the RTX 3070 is worth the upgrade.

I've been looking around and the cheapest (if in stock) I can get a rtx 3070 from board partners is like £529. Which is 21% more than my RTX 2070S (one I purchased) for a respective 30-40% more power too.

Now that power to price increase over the super, it seams in my eyes I'm only getting 10-20% more power for money. Let alone the lesser noticeable difference in gaming.

Thanks everyone!!
Does anyone else agree or have anything to add that would justify the RTX 3070 more 😅

Also, is a 650W PSU too little for an RTX 2070S if I plan to overclock it & my CPU which is an i5 9600KF.
The case also has 5 Corsair RGB fans + 3 non RGB fans.

Solution
Personally i would wait for a comparison video first to see if the 3070 would be a worthy upgrade from the 2070 Super and if you are playing games with said card unless you plan on playing 4K 120hz+ i don't see the real reason to upgrade cause my rule is to always upgrade every second generation so if it would only give you like 15% to 20% i would wait for something to dish out 25% to 40% more performance really.

PaddyMcpadington

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2015
You could sell the 2070 Super if you want, it would probably get you back £200 on the used market. Assuming you can get that, it might be compelling to upgrade.

Well, this is exactly my point. For the extra price to performance. It’s not that compelling. Unless You can get your hands on a founders Edition Card which comes In even cheaper at £469 I think. That being said, if I wanted a similar triple fan lay similar to my gigabyte card I’d be looking £570 for a RTX 3070.
I’ve only just bought my card from Amazon, so I’d return it for a full refund.

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
Personally i would wait for a comparison video first to see if the 3070 would be a worthy upgrade from the 2070 Super and if you are playing games with said card unless you plan on playing 4K 120hz+ i don't see the real reason to upgrade cause my rule is to always upgrade every second generation so if it would only give you like 15% to 20% i would wait for something to dish out 25% to 40% more performance really.

Solution

PaddyMcpadington

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2015

A few RTX 3070 Videos are out now, Linus, jaztwocents, and quite Few others. Interesting to watch. But the only points they are making is it’s totally worth when you compare it to a 2080ti price / performance, which makes sense lol

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
A few RTX 3070 Videos are out now, Linus, jaztwocents, and quite Few others. Interesting to watch. But the only points they are making is it’s totally worth when you compare it to a 2080ti price / performance, which makes sense lol

Sure and like Jayz said it is only available in North America in Microcenter and Bestbuy so pretty much no online buying for prevention of bots to buy it but if this guy is playing at 1080p or 1440p then his 2070S will last him a long time especially since there are still games coming out recommending a GTX 1060 like Watch Dogs Legion and Cyberpunk 2077 without Ray Tracing so that GPU will last for another 5 to 7 years without any issues that i would see and should at least wait for if Nvidia would bring out a RTX 4000 series before thinking of upgrading.

PaddyMcpadington

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2015
I have a 2070S and 1440p monitor. I don't see the need right now to go to the 3070. Games run great as is.

But if you feel the need to upgrade, it's your decision.

The likely hood is that I won't upgrade this time round. I do run a 4K monitor, However, I don't play AAA Titles or competitive.
World of Warships and Overwatch which are my two main games are already at Ultra and above 60fps.

However, This AMD 6800XT Card has now caught my attention and I'll wait to see how that will play out with availability/pricing and Proper reviews of the card. :D

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
The likely hood is that I won't upgrade this time round. I do run a 4K monitor, However, I don't play AAA Titles or competitive.
World of Warships and Overwatch which are my two main games are already at Ultra and above 60fps.

However, This AMD 6800XT Card has now caught my attention and I'll wait to see how that will play out with availability/pricing and Proper reviews of the card. :D

So wait you don't play competitive games but you names 2 competitive games.