Question RTX 2080 causes black screen periodically?

StubbleyBeard

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014
I'm on a dead end here. I recently bought a new GPU; RTX 2080 (Gigabyte RTX 2080 Windforce 8G) and monitor; Dell Alienware AW3418DW.

Now, there are 3 displayPorts on the back of the card.
  • When I plug my displayPort cable in the top left displayPort it causes my screen to turn black for 1 second and come back to normal periodically every 5-10 minutes.
  • When I plug my displayPort cable in the top right displayPort it causes my screen to turn black for 1 second and come back to normal periodically every 1-2 seconds.
  • When I plug my displayPort cable in the most bottom displayPort it works perfectly.

I have no idea what causes this, for all I thought the 2 displayPorts on the top are defect or atleast there is some defect in them. But whenever I try to plug in another monitor with the same displayPort cable in one of the top 2 displayPorts that seemed to be faulty with my Alienware monitor, they seem to work fine...

Things I've tried:
  • Bringing back the monitor overclock from 120hz to 100hz (same results)
  • Turning off G-sync (same results)
  • Updating to Nvidia driver 418.91 *latest, and previous driver (same results)
  • Switching displayPorts (as described above only the bottom one works fine)
  • Switching monitor (as described above, this monitor works fine with all displayPorts)

Furthermore details (that seemed relevant):
- Windows 10 64bit

What could be the cause here?