Question Rtx 2080 getting enough power?

Aug 20, 2018
Just wondering if anyone can help me :)
I recent upgraded my GPU from a 1070 (single 8 pin power connector) to a rtx 2080 (6&8 pin power connector) just running it to an issue not sure if its software related but I will explain.
While playing some games, assassin's creed odyssey, metro-exodus my GPU usage drops in more demanding areas of the games but in less demanding areas gpu usage is high shouldnt this be the other way around, I have monitored my cpu in these games and the cpu has normal usage anywhere between 30 to 60 in metro exodus and high 80s for assassin's creed, could this be a sign gpu is underpowered or would I be having complete shutdowns ? Also my gpu temps never go above 68c and my cpu around 55c underload.
Also worth mentioning is my gpu core clocks stay the same 1860mhz. My system is :-

• GPU - EVGA RTX 2080
  • CPU - I5 8400
  • Ram - corsair 16gb Ddr4 2x8gb 2666mhz
  • PSU - Corsair VS Series VS550 80 plus white certified PSU
  • MB - ASUS TUF Intel H310M-PLUS GAMING Coffee Lake Micro ATX Motherboard
  • Storage - 240 ssd 1tb hdd
  • Operating system - win 10

I can play Dmc5 at 4k max out and gpu usage is 98% so I'm not sure what's going on can a underpowered gpu performance bad or would there be a total shutdown? Any help would be much appreciated.

EVGA website says a 650W power supply is a "minimum requirement" but that the card itself has a power draw of 215 Watts. That being said, I'm expecting actual issues much like a shutdown of the system/extreme lag/frame drops if there were power delivery issues.

Try monitoring individual cores like @sizzling said. Maybe the "demanding parts" aren't as demanding as you think they are. Maybe try some wider played games to compare those results to, as DMC5 is brand new and possibly not fully optimized yet and there aren't too many comparing possibilities out there yet.

Aug 20, 2018
OK will check my cores and report back, so s
EVGA website says a 650W power supply is a "minimum requirement" but that the card itself has a power draw of 215 Watts. That being said, I'm expecting actual issues much like a shutdown of the system/extreme lag/frame drops if there were power delivery issues.

Try monitoring individual cores like @sizzling said. Maybe the "demanding parts" aren't as demanding as you think they are. Maybe try some wider played games to compare those results to, as DMC5 is brand new and possibly not fully optimized yet and there aren't too many comparing possibilities out there yet.

Thanks for the reply. I will check the cores and report back, when i explained about the demanding areas, my FPS does drop but also my gpu usage drops drops aswel which is strange.