Question Rtx 2080 OC scanner

fergus56

Prominent
Jan 22, 2019
Hey guys so back with another question, I've just built a new system with a Ryzen 5 2600x, msi b450 gaming pro carbon and 16gb corsair ddr4 3200mhz. So I'm using my evga rtx 2080 gaming black from my previous system which was an i5 6600 non k & 8gb corsair 2400mhz. Everything works great no more stuttering or frame drops. The thing that's bothering me is with the Nvidia oc scanner ( msi afterburner ) the card is not reaching as high an overclock as it was the i5 6600 , before the upgrade I was reaching around 1950mhz in game and now it's down to the low 1800mhz, the only thing I can think of is the i5 having better single core performance ? I'm not sure as I'm relatively new to overclocking. Any input is much appreciated... Also Unigine Supersition score also dropped from 7050 to around 6700.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well I don't think anyone here can tell you the inner workings of their algorithm beyond general terms. It hunts for what it considers to be a sweet spot for power and thermals.

I don't think your CPU speed would have effected it much when it comes to clock speeds.

Same case and fan layout? If it is warmer in there it won't be able to run as fast. Power requirements go up or down between your builds? If the CPU/Motherboard/Ram are using a little more power than the GPU might see a lower voltage on the 12V bus under load and is playing it safe.

Simpler to overclock the card manually if you know it can reach 1950, add the difference between 1950 and the max boost it is reaching now and see if it can do it. You can then attempt to bring the memory up.

As long as you are satisfied with the temperature and the noise should be fine.

fergus56

Prominent
Jan 22, 2019
Well I don't think anyone here can tell you the inner workings of their algorithm beyond general terms. It hunts for what it considers to be a sweet spot for power and thermals.

I don't think your CPU speed would have effected it much when it comes to clock speeds.

Same case and fan layout? If it is warmer in there it won't be able to run as fast. Power requirements go up or down between your builds? If the CPU/Motherboard/Ram are using a little more power than the GPU might see a lower voltage on the 12V bus under load and is playing it safe.

Simpler to overclock the card manually if you know it can reach 1950, add the difference between 1950 and the max boost it is reaching now and see if it can do it. You can then attempt to bring the memory up.

As long as you are satisfied with the temperature and the noise should be fine.
Thanks for the input man, yea temps in the case do seem to have gone up a bit with the new stuff added although I do have 2 x 140mm intakes, 1 exhaust at back and 2 top so airflow is good, think il take your advice and try a manual OC and see how it goes, cheers !

Feb 23, 2019
Thanks for the input man, yea temps in the case do seem to have gone up a bit with the new stuff added although I do have 2 x 140mm intakes, 1 exhaust at back and 2 top so airflow is good, think il take your advice and try a manual OC and see how it goes, cheers !

Again I’m new to this as well but when i built Ryzen 7 2700x, gtx 1060, b350m board, etc i has to play with some fan layouts. My layout was exactly the same as your. 2 intake front, 1 rear and 2 up top. For whatever reason, I reversed the one too fan closer to the rear and made it a exhaust. Leaving 1 top intake, 1 top exhaust and the others I left the same. Temperature got some noticeable degrees difference in my HWmonitor. My guess is it was actually getting rid of some of the warmer air circulating the inside