[SOLVED] RTX 2080 S GPU - Low Performance bottleneck? Elden RING

gred sasd

Honorable
Aug 9, 2015
When trying to use my computer to play the game, and not just this game (Cyberpunk, any game really) i've started to notice that my gpu usage is always below 10%, sometimes even 1% while my cpu is reaching 100% very easily.

It made me realize that after seeing other people playing the game with the same cpu and gpu than me, that i should have more fps (current fps 60 but many drops when in open world ~47fps sometime 35 fps for one frame.)

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out the issue.

Specs :

CPU : I7-9700K

GPU : 2080 SUPER

MOTHERBOARD : ASROCK Z390 PRO4

DRIVE : SSD 1GB

MEMORY : 16GB DDR4 1600MHz X 2 (SINGLE)

Something worth mentionning, when placing my memory in dual channel (2 and 4) my computer keep freezing or doesn't boot. otherwise, when single, the it works.

I'm just hoping that someone can shed some light in order for me to understand the issue and what i might have to do.

Solution
My first thought is start with trying to determine what is going on with your memory. It should be able to run in dual channel at required speeds with XMP enabled in the BIOS. You can see a performance difference between single and dual.
  • Do you have 1600 MHz RAM or is CPU-Z showing 1600 MHz, so you are running 3200 MHz RAM with XMP enabled?
  • Have you tried different DDR4 RAM to ensure you don't have a bad stick? Going with a 3000 MHz RAM kit with XMP enabled?
Assuming you are running a 1TB SSD and not a 1GB. How full is your SSD? As you starting running games with the SSD almost full (90% full or able), it can impact the drive performance and impact your FPS.

What are your temps with HWMonitor (or any temp monitoring...

tecmo34

Administrator
My first thought is start with trying to determine what is going on with your memory. It should be able to run in dual channel at required speeds with XMP enabled in the BIOS. You can see a performance difference between single and dual.
  • Do you have 1600 MHz RAM or is CPU-Z showing 1600 MHz, so you are running 3200 MHz RAM with XMP enabled?
  • Have you tried different DDR4 RAM to ensure you don't have a bad stick? Going with a 3000 MHz RAM kit with XMP enabled?
Assuming you are running a 1TB SSD and not a 1GB. How full is your SSD? As you starting running games with the SSD almost full (90% full or able), it can impact the drive performance and impact your FPS.

What are your temps with HWMonitor (or any temp monitoring software) on the CPU and GPU? Are you getting an throttling due to temperatures?

What is your resolution in gaming?? Guessing 1080p versus 1440p or 4K?
  • Have you tried to decrease or increase your game settings to see if that FPS changes / GPU usage %'s? If the don't change than your CPU (or RAM) is the bottleneck to the GPU.
  • The i7-9700K should have enough power for that GPU, so I won't think it would be a bottleneck.
What is your GPU (make, model and age)? You could be having a power issue to the GPU so it isn't able to run at full speeds. Are you seeing the correct clock speeds with the GPU?

Solution