[SOLVED] RTX 2080 struggling to run games

Solution
Looks like the gpu's having trouble boosting. It appears to be choking during both graphics tests, but goes back to normal during the cpu one.
It does not appear to be overheating...
I would suspect:
-driver. Try Display Driver Uninstaller(application requires Safe Mode to run), and get the gpu driver for your laptop from Msi's website - do not download from Nvidia.com
or
-the laptop's power brick. It's overheating, or has degraded to the point that it needs to be replaced. As an alternative, get Gpu-Z, go to the Sensors tab(you will likely need to stretch its window both ways), and leave it running in the background.
Run 3D Mark again and screenshot the Gpu-Z window.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Looks like the gpu's having trouble boosting. It appears to be choking during both graphics tests, but goes back to normal during the cpu one.
It does not appear to be overheating...
I would suspect:
-driver. Try Display Driver Uninstaller(application requires Safe Mode to run), and get the gpu driver for your laptop from Msi's website - do not download from Nvidia.com
or
-the laptop's power brick. It's overheating, or has degraded to the point that it needs to be replaced. As an alternative, get Gpu-Z, go to the Sensors tab(you will likely need to stretch its window both ways), and leave it running in the background.

Solution
Oct 29, 2021

3DMark:
View: https://i.imgur.com/SSJq6Bw.png

Gpu-Z
Gpu hotspot maxed out on 106Celcius but was avg'ing 100 under load and gpu temperature maxed out on 83C averaging 79Celcius
Gpu voltage went from its usual 0.75V to 0.65V
Gpu clock went from its idle 1380 to ~350 avg

View: https://imgur.com/a/zkv78G7

I will try the gpu driver from msi's website next

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021
Hey there,

Are all your system drivers, and GPU drivers up to date? What power plan are you running? Have you updated your bios recently? This might be an idea also.

It's also possible the GPU is throttling. What temp is it hitting whilst gaming?

All my drivers are up-to-date, and on 3DMark while my gpu is at 100% its sitting at around 78 Celcius, but then at the end of the test it seems to spike to like 90 Celcius for a second when my GPU load goes to 0%, you can see the stats on the screenshot i provided in the original post

i'm on performance power plan, and no i don't think ive ever updated bios, i'm not even sure how to do that

Last edited:
All my drivers are up-to-date, and on 3DMark while my gpu is at 100% its sitting at around 78 Celcius, but then at the end of the test it seems to spike to like 90 Celcius for a second when my GPU load goes to 0%, you can see the stats on the screenshot i provided in the original post

i'm on performance power plan, and no i don't think ive ever updated bios, i'm not even sure how to do that

Try the bios update. That may actually solve the issue. Is your laptop the GE75 Raider? Which exact model? Either way, you can get the latest bios here : MSI GE75 Raider - The Game Just Got Real

Select the model and find the latest bios. Follow the instructions carefully, and see how the GPU works after the update.

Have you been keeping the system clean of dust etc. Disassembling and cleaning out fans, and even a re-paste of the CPU/GPU might help.

Reactions: BelgBtw
Oct 29, 2021
Try the bios update. That may actually solve the issue. Is your laptop the GE75 Raider? Which exact model? Either way, you can get the latest bios here : MSI GE75 Raider - The Game Just Got Real

Select the model and find the latest bios. Follow the instructions carefully, and see how the GPU works after the update.

Have you been keeping the system clean of dust etc. Disassembling and cleaning out fans, and even a re-paste of the CPU/GPU might help.

I haven't really been cleaning it out often because this model is such a pain to open up, but it's the first thing i'm going to do now as CPU-Z indicates it is indeed thermal throttling causing this

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Oct 29, 2021
So much for it not being related to thermals.
Gpu-Z's PerfCap Reasons are color coded, and those pink/red bars mean the gpu boost dropped due to thermal throttling.

Ok ty! first thing i'll do i guess is open this up and try clean it of dust. Just sucks this model is such a pain to open up haha

Sometimes, you just have to get in there knee deep :) Getting used to your laptop disassembling/re-assembling, repasting and good house keeping (cleaning your laptop regularly) is very important. They can last years without issue if you take good care.

Good luck. Let us know if you have any issues. I'm sure we can assist.

Reactions: BelgBtw
Oct 29, 2021
Sometimes, you just have to get in there knee deep :) Getting used to your laptop disassembling/re-assembling, repasting and good house keeping (cleaning your laptop regularly) is very important. They can last years without issue if you take good care.

Good luck. Let us know if you have any issues. I'm sure we can assist.
Just took it all apart! little bit of dust in the fans but the thermal paste was rock solid. Cleaned it out and repasted and its working like new again!
Thanks for the help guys!