News RTX 2080 Super Benchmark Submission Reveals Modest Performance Gains

Questors

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2004
There is a price to being an early adopter and a price to not being one.

Just buy it

Definitely a price to early adopt anything from Nvidia these days. The price is stupidity. No one learned from the Ti/Titan/Titan screw overs of the last few GPU generations/refreshes?

It's even more of a fool and his money shall soon part scenario when the price of ray tracing is taken into account. It wasn't a thing at launch and is still not a thing after a refresh screwing. What amazes me is, at first sales of RTX were slow, as really it should have been. Now suddenly they add a bit of held back performance to increase sales and challenge AMDs GPU launch and they are being hailed as savoir of the world and champion of the people.

Great job tech press. Jensen dropped his pants and darn near all of them fell to their knees for it.

Some are hoping AMD brings "it" with GPUs. That would be great. Some are hoping Intel brings "it" with GPUs. They are pretty much like Nvidia as a company. I pray for another entity, a fourth player, with just a smidgen of integrity. Too much to hope for? Ah, forget hope, just buy it.

Jul 21, 2019
Will wait for a full review with drivers to decide if its a flop or not, even without drivers this one benchmark shows it to be almost par with a Titan V which is a 2500$ card IF you can get it cheap

The Titan V is hosting... 12GB of HBM2... you genius... and it is barely stronger than a 2080 RTX OC.

Basically, at this point the Radeon 7 is a better choice... however the card is EOL because due to Navi... so by logic it means the 2080 is DOA.

Definitely a price to early adopt anything from Nvidia these days. The price is stupidity. No one learned from the Ti/Titan/Titan screw overs of the last few GPU generations/refreshes?

It's even more of a fool and his money shall soon part scenario when the price of ray tracing is taken into account. It wasn't a thing at launch and is still not a thing after a refresh screwing. What amazes me is, at first sales of RTX were slow, as really it should have been. Now suddenly they add a bit of held back performance to increase sales and challenge AMDs GPU launch and they are being hailed as savoir of the world and champion of the people.

Great job tech press. Jensen dropped his pants and darn near all of them fell to their knees for it.

Some are hoping AMD brings "it" with GPUs. That would be great. Some are hoping Intel brings "it" with GPUs. They are pretty much like Nvidia as a company. I pray for another entity, a fourth player, with just a smidgen of integrity. Too much to hope for? Ah, forget hope, just buy it.

AMD is offering a 400$ 1080 TI alternative. If you don't buy AMD now or in the upcoming year, you never will.

Just NVidia squeezing every penny out of their customers. The only reason we have seen good gains with the 2060S and 2070S is because AMD have brought some competition to the market. As there is no competition to the 2080 or 2080Ti what is NVidia's incentive to improve the 2080 as it just makes the price of the 2080Ti even harder to justify if the gap is eroded.

Early adoption from either side is the same not matter the company.

There was another new technology that everyone said the same thing about and AMD pushed for harder than nVidia. Tesselation. Now it seems Tesselation is everywhere and used in most every game. Adoption is slow. One company tends to be the early adopter and the others will eventually follow suit.

I am more excited for Intel to join the GPU war than AMD. Mainly because AMD is still chugging along with GCN which is an outdated design. Plus Intel has the funds to push harder than people expect. I at least hope they do as we need some real competition in the GPU market.

I'm actually waiting for the rx5700 xt with non-blower style coolers. but you're right. the price is so much lower then a 2070 or 2070 super you'd have to be pointlessly and hopelessly a fanboy to favor team green over those cards.

The blower version is $399 on Newegg. I am sure the AiB versions will cost more. The 2070 is $439 for ther lowest one. I think pricing wise its a pretty good fit.

Just NVidia squeezing every penny out of their customers. The only reason we have seen good gains with the 2060S and 2070S is because AMD have brought some competition to the market. As there is no competition to the 2080 or 2080Ti what is NVidia's incentive to improve the 2080 as it just makes the price of the 2080Ti even harder to justify if the gap is eroded.

Like every single company does?

I am really not sure these are a direct response to Navi since planning take time. As well they probably had to wait until yields were good enough to be able to push them out.

It also feels like any other refresh. The ATI 9700 Pro came out and the 9800 XT was a refresh. The 7970 had the GHz version. This has been going on for the past 30 years.