Discussion RTX 30 series GPUs dont have enough VRAM

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
Hey guys,
The amount of VRAM on Nvidia's new GPUs seems very low to me and i cant find a lot on the subject online so i wanted to see what you guys think.
There is no need to mention the 3090 because this GPU is in a class of it's own and it costs 1500$.
Games are beginning to demand a lot more VRAM especially at 4K but i also seen some high usage at 1440p. With the new consoles releasing VRAM demand will probably be even higher just like when PS4 and Xbox One were released. I think that at some point soon even the 3080 won't be fully utilized because of it's VRAM amount.

Reactions: 1ntelligence
Honestly, I'm playing at 1440p and 3440x1440 would probably need even more VRAM from your gpu. I recommend you wait.. at least until you see what AMD has to offer. Trust me dude i really want that 3080 but not if i need to upgrade after a year or two because of VRAM. It's your decision. After all, i'm saying all this based on a hunch.. but i believe i have a valid concern.
If I had a halfway decent GPU now I probably would wait but the 1050 ti kind of sucks for gaming and I'm getting annoyed with it.

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
It will always come down to money.
Nvidia has left the gap for additional 3000series cards. The $200 3070 - 3080 gap will close with those additional cards.
If I didn't have a budget I would be buying the 3090 and a whole new computer to go along with it... but anyone who has to consider "budget" needs to avoid the 3090.

The Vram in the lesser cards will only increase if Nvidia feels the need to release the additional cards, and that will be determined by what team red comes up with, or doesn't come up with.

Yeah i guess it's up to team red now. If they release a good gpu and fix their driver issues i might consider getting an AMD gpu

Dankhola

Prominent
Feb 12, 2020
I know where you're coming from but I don't think it will have a big impact yet. I'm more worried for the guys still at 4GB or less.

System requirements will slowly start to rise after the next consoles are released. They'll prob seem to be ahead on fidelity for a few months, as is usually the case, then PC stuff will pull back ahead as more stuff is released.

I even wonder if we could start seeing Data throughput as a system requirement for some future games that might need a very fast SSD to stream data and textures. Some games already reccomend an SSD as standard.

Coming from a 1080Ti with 11GB it does seem like a bit of a downgrade going down to 8GB or 10GB for a 3070/3080. Then again, the chips themselves seem to be performing nicely and it's very rare I've seen a game use more than 7GB at 1440p.

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
I know where you're coming from but I don't think it will have a big impact yet. I'm more worried for the guys still at 4GB or less.

System requirements will slowly start to rise after the next consoles are released. They'll prob seem to be ahead on fidelity for a few months, as is usually the case, then PC stuff will pull back ahead as more stuff is released.

I even wonder if we could start seeing Data throughput as a system requirement for some future games that might need a very fast SSD to stream data and textures. Some games already reccomend an SSD as standard.

Coming from a 1080Ti with 11GB it does seem like a bit of a downgrade going down to 8GB or 10GB for a 3070/3080. Then again, the chips themselves seem to be performing nicely and it's very rare I've seen a game use more than 7GB at 1440p.

I was a guy still using a gpu with 4GB less than a year ago.. most of the time it is manageable at 1080p but that is not going to last long.

I know 8gb will probably be more than enough for the next year at 1440p but if i'm buying a 3080 i expect to be able to game 1440p 60fps for next 3+ years. I dont want to upgrade because i need more VRAM but only if i really need more performance. I'll wait a little longer because i got a used 1070 ti that is working great for me right now. Thought about getting a 20 series gpu but those gpus just don't worth the moeny.

About the need for faster storage, I did think about that myself. There was also someone in this discussion that mentions the fact that the new consoles will have a new way to transfer data to the gpu probably using their fast SSDs. This is why i want to wait before adding more storage to my PC. I got a WD Blue 500gb and a Samsung 860 EVO.. they will have to be enough for now. Hopefully the first one i add is supporting PCI 4.0 and better speeds than what is available now for PC

WhiteWolfOW_

Prominent
Mar 13, 2019
I think your jumping the gun a bit. Wait till benchmarks come out for the new cards and decide from their.

Sadly this isn't applicable everywhere, quite a lot of worry down here in Australia about how many will actually be in stock, especially the 3090. So it could quite well be, buy now or wait until next year.

People would want to be getting some benchmarks out ASAP.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Sadly this isn't applicable everywhere, quite a lot of worry down here in Australia about how many will actually be in stock, especially the 3090. So it could quite well be, buy now or wait until next year.

People would want to be getting some benchmarks out ASAP.
That is going to be everywhere not just AU. I expect for about all the cards to sell out on day 1. Then the aftermarket cards to be released during the holidays like usual even them being available in a limited quantity and selling out quick.

Their always a piece of hardware that will limit the performance in everything done on a PC, no different with gaming depending on the game engine used as to what that is.

I really don't see 8GB of Vram being a problem although it could be to a very limited amount of games but in no way would it make it something to entirely pick a video card from.

Try to buy a good power supply in the US their about double the price now if you can even find one in stock it will probably be even worse when people start trying to upgrade theirs for the new video cards power requirements.

Dec 16, 2020
That is going to be everywhere not just AU. I expect for about all the cards to sell out on day 1. Then the aftermarket cards to be released during the holidays like usual even them being available in a limited quantity and selling out quick.

Their always a piece of hardware that will limit the performance in everything done on a PC, no different with gaming depending on the game engine used as to what that is.

I really don't see 8GB of Vram being a problem although it could be to a very limited amount of games but in no way would it make it something to entirely pick a video card from.

Try to buy a good power supply in the US their about double the price now if you can even find one in stock it will probably be even worse when people start trying to upgrade theirs for the new video cards power requirements.

Low and behold, Cyberpunk 2077 is here and guess what, on 3440x1440 I am having VRAM issues on the 3070. : )

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Low and behold, Cyberpunk 2077 is here and guess what, on 3440x1440 I am having VRAM issues on the 3070. : )
You probably are on that resolution on that very poorly optimized game full of bugs. It's so bad on console their offering a refund.

FROM MY POST. I really don't see 8GB of Vram being a problem although it could be to a very limited amount of games

Last edited:
You probably are on that resolution on that very poorly optimized game full of bugs. It's so bad on console their offering a refund.

FROM MY POST. I really don't see 8GB of Vram being a problem although it could be to a very limited amount of games

the game should not released on the 8th gen console. the game got several delay and one of them because of they are tweaking the game so it can run on those potatoes. also i have seen some outlet testing the game and they say even medium setting almost looking as good as ultra. CDPR games having issues on release is actually more or less normal. witcher enhance edition. and then witcher 2 enhance edition. they just ditch that enhance edition with witcher 3. those that complaining and asking for refund did they forgot CDPR are like this?

VRAM should be less an issue if you are not the type that must max out everything. just lowering some settings and it should be good to go. using my 970 for 5 years until recently i never really felt that 4GB is not enough in any game that i play. and sometimes what i don't really like with ultra setting is they look more or less exactly the same as the preset one notch below it (high or very high depending on games) but using ultra will cut the FPS by half!