[SOLVED] RTX 3060 not performing as well as I had hoped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2021
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (4.8GHz Turbo, whatever that means), 2904 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)

RAM: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz

PSU: 600W 80 Plus Gold

GPU: GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B460M DS3H AC V2-Y1

I pretty much bought this PC just for the 3060. I thought going from a GTX 1060 3GB to an RTX 3060 12GB would be a huge difference. I have noticed a slight difference in performance, but it's not nearly as huge of a gap as I thought it would be. So, I was wondering if there was something on my PC that was bottlenecking my 3060, or if there's something that I have or haven't done to use the GPU at its highest potential. If you have any questions please let me know.

Solution
The RTX3060 certainly would /should be faster be in all titles, even at 'only' 1080P, as the GTX1060 (3 GB) was/is quite limited in most titles under 5-6 years old, requiring quality settings much less than max/ultra or even high settings.....assuming, of course, you are playing/measuring games on a monitor that can display more than 60 Hz refresh with Gsync off, etc... (THere might be very perceived differences to the user, for example, playing CS:GO on a 60 Hz refresh- limited monitor...)

It can be quite easy to get in a 'rabbit hole' of a 'games/drivers set up/optimized for an old GPU' that does not thrill once changing to a new GPU, even if changing from one old Nvida to a new NVidia.

A full /fresh reinstall of everything (OS...
The RTX3060 certainly would /should be faster be in all titles, even at 'only' 1080P, as the GTX1060 (3 GB) was/is quite limited in most titles under 5-6 years old, requiring quality settings much less than max/ultra or even high settings.....assuming, of course, you are playing/measuring games on a monitor that can display more than 60 Hz refresh with Gsync off, etc... (THere might be very perceived differences to the user, for example, playing CS:GO on a 60 Hz refresh- limited monitor...)

It can be quite easy to get in a 'rabbit hole' of a 'games/drivers set up/optimized for an old GPU' that does not thrill once changing to a new GPU, even if changing from one old Nvida to a new NVidia.

A full /fresh reinstall of everything (OS, drivers, games) should eliminate that as a possibility...

Reactions: spentshells
Solution
Sep 22, 2021

A full /fresh reinstall of everything (OS, drivers, games) should eliminate that as a possibility...
I don't know if it's worth mentioning, but on Destiny 2, switching between the different graphic settings (i.e. Medium to Highest) has minimal/no impact on my fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS