[SOLVED] RTX 3060 Ti - No signal, no fans spinning

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nicolo.casieri

Reputable
Jan 25, 2018
Hello everyone, today I've encountered a strange issue (at least I think); I've upgrade my PC with a Zotac RTX 3060 Ti twin edge OC edition LHR (brand new, not used). I plugged the 6+2 PCIE connector provided in my modular PSU, connected in the PCIE 3.0 slot...PC won't turn on, not a single fan spinning. Put the old GPU back (Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB) and everything works. My PC specs are:

OS
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM
16,00GB
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME B450M-A (AM4) 38 °C
Graphics
27GL650F (1920x1080@144Hz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (Gigabyte) 32 °C
Hard drive
232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SATA (SSD)) 29 °C
465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKX-001CA0 (SATA ) 26 °C
465GB Maxtor STM3500418AS (SATA ) 26 °C
953GB Sabrent (Sconosciuto (SSD))
Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

My PSU is very new, bought it 2 weeks ago, it's a sharkoon silent storm cool zero 80 plus gold 850W.
I checked various forums and web pages,I'm pretty sure a 3060 ti should be compatible with my mobo, and I'm pretty sure PSU is more than enough. I have two different 8GB RAM: same brand (kingston hyperx) but different that are slightly different in mhz, but as far as I know that couldn't be the problem.

Thanks in advance for anybody who would spend some time to help me!

Last edited:
Solution
Last update: everything works with my new PSU (Corsair RM850X).
For future reference: when mounting a new GPU, if your PC doesn't POST and/or the motherboard LEDs say it's a CPU fail, make sure the PSU is working and don't buy Sharkoon. Stick to the reliable brands (be Quiet!, Cooler Master, Corsair, Seasonic).

peace out 🆒

boju

Titan
Ambassador
"This mobo has fault LEDs: with the GTX 1060, everything works...when I mount the RTX 3060 TI, the CPU LED lights up."

That is bizarre. Trying to think of things for no display but then im reminded of that.

Why would gpu cause cpu error? What's the chances the motherboard screws are down too tight? Stress and weight differences between gpu's. Built a new pc myself and manual says not to over tight the screws, but how tight is too tight? for something like this to have a chance of happening. Probably unlikely though. Breadboarding would see, but if it all works, keep this in mind.

Gpu fans are dynamic aren't they? should they do bit of a test spin on post then remain still until a certain temp is reached?

What about display cable? Have come across a situation where DP wasn't set as initial display by the gpu until it was changed by drivers and Hdmi was used. But again, cpu led .. gah.. Just a few blind stabs.

Last edited:

mozga628

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
please allow me certain assumptions...
on your original MOBO:
if you power on the pc and no fans are spinning, it's a safe bet there is a short somewhere or its not getting enough power. knowing that the issue is specific to the gpu, the issue cannot therefore be memory chips, or drivers, etc.
that said, the hands down best answer here was the first one you got from ralston..
don't mess with mixing modular cables (they are not interchangeable between all brands). if you are not absolutely 100% sure you have the right ones, throw them away and start over. don't risk damaging your computer.

on the new mobo:
you said the cpu light is on, what color is the light? are any of the fans spinning now? what about the pcu fan?

if i were in vegas, i would put money on a failing psu.

nicolo.casieri

Reputable
Jan 25, 2018
Why would gpu cause cpu error? What's the chances the motherboard screws are down too tight? Stress and weight differences between gpu's. Built a new pc myself and manual says not to over tight the screws, but how tight is too tight? for something like this to have a chance of happening.

You mean the screws or the case standoffs? I admit they're probably really tight, but as you said...how tight is too tight?

Gpu fans are dynamic aren't they? should they do bit of a test spin on post then remain still until a certain temp is reached?

Definitely dynamic, but still...I waited 30-40 seconds before shutting down the PC. One thing I'm not sure I pointed out: when I'm mounting the RTX3060 TI, the case's on-off button doesn't work, I have to turn off the PSU manually with the PSU button.

What about display cable? Have come across a situation where DP wasn't set as initial display by the gpu until it was changed by drivers and Hdmi was used. But again, cpu led .. gah.. Just a few blind stabs.
Not sure how to set the DP as initial display, but I've tried with the HDMI as well, same outcome.

nicolo.casieri

Reputable
Jan 25, 2018
that said, the hands down best answer here was the first one you got from ralston..

There's no risk I've reused and/or mix PSU cables: the older one wasn't modular, so I threw the whole thing away because it basically died while I was gaming (bought it back in 2010).

you said the cpu light is on, what color is the light? are any of the fans spinning now? what about the pcu fan?

Red light, I don't think there's a color distinction. User manual just says that CPU LED on means some kind of fail. Last time I tried to mount the 3060 TI (and trust me, I did it A LOT of times) I noticed the PSU starts spinning regularly. That's the only fan that is spinning, everything else is silent. How could it be the PSU though? It's brand new and the machine doesn't have any problems with the 1060 mounted.

Anyways, I'll try to boot the PC with the motherboard on cardboard or wooden table as soon as I can. By monday I'll probably receive the new Case.

There's no risk I've reused and/or mix PSU cables: the older one wasn't modular, so I threw the whole thing away because it basically died while I was gaming (bought it back in 2010).

Red light, I don't think there's a color distinction. User manual just says that CPU LED on means some kind of fail. Last time I tried to mount the 3060 TI (and trust me, I did it A LOT of times) I noticed the PSU starts spinning regularly. That's the only fan that is spinning, everything else is silent. How could it be the PSU though? It's brand new and the machine doesn't have any problems with the 1060 mounted.

Anyways, I'll try to boot the PC with the motherboard on cardboard or wooden table as soon as I can. By monday I'll probably receive the new Case.

I really hope is not the PSU, but then again if it does not work outside the case I woulnd't even know what else to suggest. Lets hope is something weird with the case the GPU perhaps not well mounted.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You mean the screws or the case standoffs? I admit they're probably really tight, but as you said...how tight is too tight?

Can feel when screw is at the end of it's thread, just a nick further than that.

the case's on-off button doesn't work, I have to turn off the PSU manually with the PSU button.

Only with 3060ti?

Not sure how to set the DP as initial display, but I've tried with the HDMI as well, same outcome.

I've only seen one case of this here. Hdmi to boot, load drivers, then DP was then default.

nicolo.casieri

Reputable
Jan 25, 2018
Update: I received the new case, but before I opened the box I decided to try to boot the PC on a cardboard box. Still the very same issue. Not only that, I tried the 970, and it doesn't work, just like the 3060 ti. The only thing they have in common is the 6+2 pin. The 1060 has a 6+2 pin. So I guess the PSU is the culprit? Sadly, bought it in the 6th of October, so Amazon won't take it back, but I think I can RMA it?

nicolo.casieri

Reputable
Jan 25, 2018
I think you tried two different 6+2 cables, right? And the RTX 3060TI won't start with any of those?

I hope you can RMA it.

Its strange that the GTX 1060 work with the PSU, but the RTX 3060Ti doesn't.

Yep, the PSU comes with 2 modular 6+2 pins cables, both don't work. It is very strange, but the fact that both GPUs (970 and 3060 ti) require 6+2 pin cables and both don't work makes it easy to isolate the problem.

nicolo.casieri

Reputable
Jan 25, 2018
Before I RMA the PSU, I'm gonna try something else: since the 3060 Ti works in my friend's PC, I'm gonna switch his PSU with mine. If all things remain the same, it's definitely the PSU. What I find strange is the CPU fail LED, but if the PSU is faulty, I guess it could make sense?

nicolo.casieri

Reputable
Jan 25, 2018
Remember to change all power cables and sort them so they're not mixed when you give psu and cables back.

Just to clarify, you are using the two pcie ports (top and bottom of each other) next to ide/sata?

Will do. Yep, those are the ports I'm using.

Yes of course makes sense. Still strange, perhaps the +2 pins are supposedly not working?

Guess so. This week I've got a lot to do at work, so I don't think I'll be able to test my friend's PSU in my machine sooner than Saturday.

nicolo.casieri

Reputable
Jan 25, 2018
We're almost there guys! Today I can now say, without the slightest of doubts...PSU is culprit! I mounted my friend's PSU (Corsair CX750M) and everything works fine. I'm gonna contact Amazon and see how to RMA the thing. Looking at the specs for both PSUs, could it be the Sharkoon isn't compatible with my RIG? Below you can find the specs:

Sharkoon SilentStorm Cool Zero 850W

Corsair CX750M

What I'm looking at is Max. Combined Power: 120 W for the Sharkoon and 130 W for the Corsair.

May 21, 2021
We're almost there guys! Today I can now say, without the slightest of doubts...PSU is culprit! I mounted my friend's PSU (Corsair CX750M) and everything works fine. I'm gonna contact Amazon and see how to RMA the thing. Looking at the specs for both PSUs, could it be the Sharkoon isn't compatible with my RIG? Below you can find the specs:

Sharkoon SilentStorm Cool Zero 850W

Corsair CX750M

What I'm looking at is Max. Combined Power: 120 W for the Sharkoon and 130 W for the Corsair.

Definitely buy a PSU from a reputable brand. I’ve been building computers for 25 years and have never heard of Sharkoon. You get what you pay for with PSU’s and you should never cheap out on the one component that has the power to fry every component in your computer if it fails.

nicolo.casieri

Reputable
Jan 25, 2018
Definitely buy a PSU from a reputable brand. I’ve been building computers for 25 years and have never heard of Sharkoon. You get what you pay for with PSU’s and you should never cheap out on the one component that has the power to fry every component in your computer if it fails.

It is a reputable brand. The fact you didn't heard the name doesn't mean anything, really. Did you ever heard LC-Power? It's not that famous, but a 50$ PSU from them I bought back in 2009 lasted until last month. Anyways, Amazon will send a new one (same model/brand), and if the issue continues, they will give me a total refund.

Reactions: RodroX
May 21, 2021
It is a reputable brand. The fact you didn't heard the name doesn't mean anything, really. Did you ever heard LC-Power? It's not that famous, but a 50$ PSU from them I bought back in 2009 lasted until last month. Anyways, Amazon will send a new one (same model/brand), and if the issue continues, they will give me a total refund.
Well the company might be reputable but their power supplies are NOT. A 5 second google reveals a lot of bad reviews for sharkoon PSUs. Never cheap out on the PSU

nicolo.casieri

Reputable
Jan 25, 2018
Last update: everything works with my new PSU (Corsair RM850X).
For future reference: when mounting a new GPU, if your PC doesn't POST and/or the motherboard LEDs say it's a CPU fail, make sure the PSU is working and don't buy Sharkoon. Stick to the reliable brands (be Quiet!, Cooler Master, Corsair, Seasonic).

peace out 🆒

Solution
Jan 29, 2022
Driver? I have doubts, as the gpu isn't getting past POST.

Yes, even with a generic MS VGA driver, it should still POST.

I realise this is marked as resolved, but I had the very same issue with my 3060ti LHR version card, it simply wouldn't POST, and I have an extremely old motherboard, running 2 Xeon CPU's!!! (to put into context just how old my board is, doesn't even have USB3 support!!!) The workaround was to leave the old AMD working card inside the machine, and connect the 3060ti using a riser card.

I attempted to boot with only the 3060ti, no dice. I also have a 3090, which works when connected alone, but when the 3060ti is connected alongside, no POST. Now, I have connected the 3060ti x2, the 3090 AND the old AMD card and it works flawlessly......... It would appear there is a BIOS issue on the GPU, and it piggybacks off the old working GPU's BIOS, very very bizarre.

I hope this helps someone with their issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.