Question Rtx 3060 ti or a GTX 1080 ti-looking for an upgrade

Dec 4, 2020
So i currently have a gtx 970 and ive decided its about time to retire it after 5 long years of use. Im looking to get a gtx 1080 ti or the new rtx 3060 ti (price range is 500 max) Scarcity of the latter aside, which should i get? Do you guys have any other card suggestions? Im aiming to run current gen games on ultra/high settings.

If you can, and you don't want to wait for prices to calm down (which no one knows when will it happend), then I would aim for the RTX 3060ti.

Whats your CPU? game performance is ablance between CPU, GPU and RAM. You can get the best GPU in the world but if your CPU can keep up then it wont really make a big diference.

So i currently have a gtx 970 and ive decided its about time to retire it after 5 long years of use. Im looking to get a gtx 1080 ti or the new rtx 3060 ti (price range is 500 max) Scarcity of the latter aside, which should i get? Do you guys have any other card suggestions? Im aiming to run current gen games on ultra/high settings.

Definitely wait for the RTX 3060 Ti. We are seeing in games like Cyberpunk 2077 that newer current-gen GPUs are outperforming theoretically more powerful older GPUs significantly due to architectural improvements and better driver optimization. The 1080 Ti was a very capable GPU in its day, but it is 4 years old now and wont get any more attention from Nvidia driver-optimization wise.

Also, DLSS 2.0 is a great performance-boosting feature all on its own even if you don't care about ray tracing, so that's another good incentive to upgrade to something more recently released as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: RagedAPE
Dec 4, 2020
If you can, and you don't want to wait for prices to calm down (which no one knows when will it happend), then I would aim for the RTX 3060ti.

Whats your CPU? game performance is ablance between CPU, GPU and RAM. You can get the best GPU in the world but if your CPU can keep up then it wont really make a big diference.

I currently have an i5 4690k which will obviously bottleneck the rtx 3060 ti hard if i were to get it. Thinking of replacing it with a 10600k. Would that be a good cpu for it?

I currently have an i5 4690k which will obviously bottleneck the rtx 3060 ti hard if i were to get it. Thinking of replacing it with a 10600k. Would that be a good cpu for it?
As @RodroX suggested a 10700 is better if you can go for it. Keep in mind that you will need a full platform upgrade. Cpu, Motherboard and RAM, as the motherboard you currently own, can only accept DDR3 memory and 4th gen intel CPUs only.

Reactions: RodroX

dralaamonirsrg

Commendable
Sep 28, 2018
I have a 1080ti. It is still performing very good but...Man when I saw cyberpunk with raytracing I started to think of upgrading it. The game looks defrent with it that am thinking of getting an RTX card. Raytracing is the main advantage here. If it is your thing then 3060ti

That would be a good CPU for sure, and a 10700k would be even better.

Alternatively, AMD makes the best gaming CPUs at the moment, so a Ryzen 5600x/5800x would be even better due to better performance than an Intel CPU as well as B550/X570 motherboard support for PCIe 4.0.

Dec 4, 2020
Thanks for the responses guys! I ended up getting the 10600k, a z490 motherboard, ddr4 3200 mhz CL16 ram, AND i even managed to snag an rtx 3060 ti. Should be fun when all of it arrives.