Question RTX 3070 FE isn't running at full wattage at 99% load

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeartOfAdel

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021
I don't understand where the issue is coming from. After putting a new 3070 FE I've noticed that it doesn't reach 220w and stays somewhere around 200w. If I undervolt the gpu to 1920mhz 0.9V, it consumes a ridiculously low amount of power, somewhere around 130w when my previous MSI 3060 Ti Gaming X would consume 160w+ at the same clock and voltage and easily reach 220w if needed.
Something is obviously not letting the gpu work at its fullest (and it's NOT the CPU, because the gpu is at 99%).

Could it be a faulty cable? Driver issue? Corrupted windows? PCIE not giving enough power? (Mobo is MSI Z97 Gaming 3), damaged vrm? I've just never experienced anything like that.

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to include the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
including the age of your PSU.

If you were working with a GPU prior to the RTX3070FE, please include the make and model of your former GPU as well. FYI, prior to this;
my previous MSI 3060 Ti Gaming X
GPU in your build.

Lastly, did you uninstall your GPU drivers prior to swapping the 3060Ti with the 3070?

Reactions: RodroX

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Power consumption goes up with boost, not usage. Boost goes up according to available temps and voltages.

You could easily hit 220w at 50% usage, as long as temps and volts allow for the boost levels.

At 99% usage, you are hitting limits, most likely both temp and voltage, so you aren't going to get max boost. Undervolting can make things worse as the voltage isn't there to allow the boost levels.

Reactions: Ralston18

HeartOfAdel

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

If you were working with a GPU prior to the RTX3070FE, please include the make and model of your former GPU as well. FYI, prior to this;
GPU in your build.

Lastly, did you uninstall your GPU drivers prior to swapping the 3060Ti with the 3070?
I actually didn't unistall anything... but updated to a later driver without the clean installation. I'll do that soon.

Last edited:

HeartOfAdel

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021
Power consumption goes up with boost, not usage. Boost goes up according to available temps and voltages.

You could easily hit 220w at 50% usage, as long as temps and volts allow for the boost levels.

At 99% usage, you are hitting limits, most likely both temp and voltage, so you aren't going to get max boost. Undervolting can make things worse as the voltage isn't there to allow the boost levels.
You either think I'm stupid or completely misread my description of the problem.
I don't hit any limits, be it voltage or temperature, I undervolted the gpu right away.

Ralston18

Titan
@HeartOfAdel

"Something is obviously not letting the gpu work at its fullest "

Maybe the GPU does not need to.....

This GPU?

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/rtx-3070-3070ti/

Noted that per the specs Graphics Card Power is 220 Watts.

I am not sure why there is an expectation per se, as appears to be the case with your post, that "reaching" 220 Watts is necessary for peak (100%) or some other level of performance.

Consuming less power overall (i.e., 160 Watts or 200 Watts) being a good thing if performance is steady and stable.

Use of additional power likely just being lost to heat.

Efficiency matters.

And I would also consider the margin of error within the measured parameters of % 's, voltages, and temperatures: especially 99% vs 100%.

Also: per @Lutfij - specs?

Reactions: Lutfij

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

HeartOfAdel

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021
You didn't provide all that I'd asked for.
I'm sorry but I do not need to provide all of these things. Gpu is all what matters. I stated my motherboard and that there's no cpu bottleneck, therefore it's gpu limited, I stated that it behaved differently with a 220w 3060 Ti, therefore the psu is good enough (it's MSI MPG A650GF). Other details would just make no difference...

Last edited:

HeartOfAdel

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021
Then the card is hitting voltage limits and cannot boost any higher. Undervolting means the card has a lower voltage ceiling. At 99% usage, you are hitting that ceiling, you are hitting capacity ceiling. You are hitting limits.
I wrote that the power consumption was Higher with a 3060 Ti at the same voltage and frequency. This is physically impossible.
Edit: not just higher with the 3060 Ti. My 3070 FE requires more voltage for a given frequency that my previous 3060 Ti, it was 1920mhz at 875mv for 3060 Ti and now it's 900mv for 1920mhz with the 3070 FE.

Last edited:

HeartOfAdel

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

GPU in your build.

@HeartOfAdel

"Something is obviously not letting the gpu work at its fullest "

Maybe the GPU does not need to.....

This GPU?

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/rtx-3070-3070ti/

Noted that per the specs Graphics Card Power is 220 Watts.

I am not sure why there is an expectation per se, as appears to be the case with your post, that "reaching" 220 Watts is necessary for peak (100%) or some other level of performance.

Consuming less power overall (i.e., 160 Watts or 200 Watts) being a good thing if performance is steady and stable.

Use of additional power likely just being lost to heat.

Efficiency matters.

And I would also consider the margin of error within the measured parameters of % 's, voltages, and temperatures: especially 99% vs 100%.

Also: per @Lutfij - specs?

The problem has been solved. Turns out it only occurred in Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Nothing changed after reinstalling drivers and trying different cables. But I kinda panicked and was too focused on this game. Gpu easily goes to 210-220w in Cyberpunk and Valhalla and has an adequate power consumption, with or without undervolting (again, I'm comparing to the previous 3060 Ti).

A bit later Nvidia also released a new driver with dx12 optimization, which is stunning. Valhalla has a 10-20fps increase and gpu noticeably draws more power. Even in Odyssey, it increased by 20w on average. It now easily sits at 210-215w without undervolting and around 150w with it. That driver came out just at the right time.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I wrote that the power consumption was Higher with a 3060 Ti at the same voltage and frequency. This is physically impossible.
Edit: not just higher with the 3060 Ti. My 3070 FE requires more voltage for a given frequency that my previous 3060 Ti, it was 1920mhz at 875mv for 3060 Ti and now it's 900mv for 1920mhz with the 3070 FE.
You cannot compare the 3070 to a 3060ti power consumption. They are different processors that require different voltages at different frequencies. The 3070 has a higher core count, stronger vrm, larger cache etc and will run a higher boost frequency than the 3060ti for whatever voltage is applied.

You card won't hit 220w because "I undervolted it to 1920MHz 0.9v" and it's at 99% usage. It has no more room to boost, so does not need to waste power attempting such.

HeartOfAdel

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021
You cannot compare the 3070 to a 3060ti power consumption. They are different processors that require different voltages at different frequencies. The 3070 has a higher core count, stronger vrm, larger cache etc and will run a higher boost frequency than the 3060ti for whatever voltage is applied.

You card won't hit 220w because "I undervolted it to 1920MHz 0.9v" and it's at 99% usage. It has no more room to boost, so does not need to waste power attempting such.
You completely don't understand i'm saying and probably didn't even try and you still keep talking to me like i have no idea. I never said the gpu was supposed to hit 220w with undervolting, that's the freaking purpose of undervolting. I said that the gpu MUST hit 220w at stock settings by boosting to the highest voltage and frequency possible and it DIDN'T. At this point wattage is the wall, and nothing else.

Exactly, 3070 is a more powerful gpu than 3060 Ti with more cores, and if you're running it at 0.9V 1920mhz getting 130w consumption and 150w on a slower gpu with literally the Same voltage and frequency, then it is weird and not supposed to be that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.