May 13, 2022
Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded my CPU, everything worked great until I decided to flash my GPU bios to one which supports resizable bar (from official PALIT website). Up to that point I had my GPU running at around 67 degrees maximum in games like Borderlands 3 (with undervolt - 1935@0.9V), but after BIOS upgrade temperatures climbed up to around 82-83 degrees at 100% fan speed (even when undervolted). I've tried reverting to older drivers, reverting to the old BIOS and even switching to quiet BIOS (there is a switch on the back side of the GPU).

Somewhere in between flashing the bios and noticing the high temperatures I had to take the GPU out as I needed access to front panel headers on the MBO. I know this is not the coldest card out there but 83 degrees at 100% fan speed seem kind of ridiculous.

The GPU itself is like 1.5 years old and has been mining ethereum while I was not using the PC (so like 20 hours a day). I'm also using the Fractal Flex GPU riser (its quite far away from the glass).

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro V2
Ram: HyperX Fury 4x8GB 3200MHZ
SSD/HDD: 970 EVO Plus / 860 EVO
GPU: RTX 3070 Jetstream
PSU: Fractal Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Chassis: Fractal Meshify 2 Compact
Fans: 2X 140mm NF-A14 front and 140mm NF-A12x15 bottom as intake, Fractal Lumen 240mm AIO top and NF-S12A back as exhaust

I was wondering if repasting the GPU should solve the issue - which I would understand if the temperature raised gradually but not right after flashing the GPU (perhaps a coincidence)?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I just tried reinstalling the GPU with and without the vertical bracket, no change in temperatures even with open case. Any advice?
If no change, even after all that: a repaste. If any thermal pads are torn, they will need to be replaced, so take your time taking the card apart - or have a shop or friend(who's familiar with it) do it if you're not comfortable getting hands on.

The temperature increase with the bios flash, could have been a coincidence. :unsure:

Recommended pastes: Noctua NT-H2, Gelid GC Extreme, Prolimatech PK-3, Kingpin KPx, Cooler Master Mastergel Pro V2
I'm sure there's more, but those are what I've heard of working - personally use NT-H2 on 1080Ti - so if you inquire about other pastes, I might not be able to give you a solid response.

TRENDING THREADS