[SOLVED] RTX 3070 Laptop Not running very well please help! <3

mixatrixaxx

Reputable
Jul 15, 2018
So i have a ROG STRIX G17 with these specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800H
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 (130W)
1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
16GB DDR4 3200mhz

And everythings seems to run well exepect when i try to play games, i loaded up loads of games but for this example as i did a lot of testing on black ops 3 zombies ill use that.
I get about 110Fps at 1080p Maxed and it lags every so often (15-20 seconds) that for a start is really bad this pc
Then i put it up to 1440p Maxed out and was getting about 115fps?? I know this would look like a cpu bottleneck but with the ryzen 5 3600 i used to have i could easily get 180fps on my pc at 1080p
So from my testing its not the Cpu or Graphics card, any help would be amazing!
PS. i dont seem to have any power saving mode on or anything like that as both my cpu and gpu are running perfectly on benchmarks

Solution
I know i know, but mine does have somthing faulty sadly :( comparing the exact same laptop from youtube, on medium settings on fortnite (sorry i had to mention that game) was getting about 300fps but mine only got about 110 still
Interesting, maybe double check to see if you have Nvidia High Performance GPU set for the games in question. You can do this via Nvidia control panel also, by right clicking on the desktop/display settings/graphic settings.

You can also hit "FN" then the Fan for turbo. It'll place your laptop on high performance mode as well.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to see if you have any BIOS update pending. Cross reference Asus's support site for your laptop and use CPU-Z to see what BIOS version you currently have. Make sure you're on the latest OS version and lastly, try reinstalling your GPU drivers. I'd get the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site and then use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers. Once uninstalled, install the GPU drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Reactions: mixatrixaxx

mixatrixaxx

Reputable
Jul 15, 2018
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to see if you have any BIOS update pending. Cross reference Asus's support site for your laptop and use CPU-Z to see what BIOS version you currently have. Make sure you're on the latest OS version and lastly, try reinstalling your GPU drivers. I'd get the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site and then use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers. Once uninstalled, install the GPU drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

I did all the steps, there might be a slight increase getting about 120fps now on black ops 3 but still nowhere near what this pc should be getting, i tried fortnite too and before i was getting 100fps now seems to be about 105ish fps, anything else you thing might be wrong?

jamzkang

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
I did all the steps, there might be a slight increase getting about 120fps now on black ops 3 but still nowhere near what this pc should be getting, i tried fortnite too and before i was getting 100fps now seems to be about 105ish fps, anything else you thing might be wrong?
Keep in mind, the desktop version of the laptop will always outperform the laptop itself.
My RTX 2060 on the laptop is underpowered compared to the desktop, and it makes a difference when it comes to the overall gaming performance.

mixatrixaxx

Reputable
Jul 15, 2018
Keep in mind, the desktop version of the laptop will always outperform the laptop itself.
My RTX 2060 on the laptop is underpowered compared to the desktop, and it makes a difference when it comes to the overall gaming performance.

I know i know, but mine does have somthing faulty sadly :( comparing the exact same laptop from youtube, on medium settings on fortnite (sorry i had to mention that game) was getting about 300fps but mine only got about 110 still

jamzkang

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
Interesting, maybe double check to see if you have Nvidia High Performance GPU set for the games in question. You can do this via Nvidia control panel also, by right clicking on the desktop/display settings/graphic settings.

You can also hit "FN" then the Fan for turbo. It'll place your laptop on high performance mode as well.

Solution