[SOLVED] RTX 3070 power supply ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Hi after the announcement today about the new 3070 gpu I've been wondering if my 700W psu is gonna be enough for the rtx 3070
depending on the quality and brand, you can keep a 700 watt , if its a corsair , Thermaltake or one of the other good brands, , you should be ok for sure.at least when you first buy the card.
gpu's are taking less power to run as they get the technology of the chips better, i had the first 2gb card from nvidia you HAD to have 400 wats to run it lol, then a year later, only needed 250 wats, a 700 or 600 w ps will be fine for anything pretty much, unless you have Tons of components, extra stuff, i dunno. but you should be good
IMO and from my experience, i was only a Hardware tech, i wasn't much about...

EricLane

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2013
Zhiye Liu's article stated "Given the power requirements, Nvidia recommends a 750W power supply for the GeForce RTX 3090 and GeForce RTX 3080, while the GeForce RTX 3070 can get by with a 650W unit. Nvidia's recommendations are based around a high-end system with the Intel Core i9-10900K so you could get away with a power supply that has a lower capacity than the suggested."

I hope this is accurate because I have a 750W and shouldn't need to upgrade my 1 month old PSU in order to get the 3090.

I would buy a better PSU. The little I can find about Kolink power supplies is they range from not the worst to fire hazard in terms of quality.

Stick to Tier A Maybe B

Angelouss

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
Hi after the announcement today about the new 3070 gpu I've been wondering if my 700W psu is gonna be enough for the rtx 3070
depending on the quality and brand, you can keep a 700 watt , if its a corsair , Thermaltake or one of the other good brands, , you should be ok for sure.at least when you first buy the card.
gpu's are taking less power to run as they get the technology of the chips better, i had the first 2gb card from nvidia you HAD to have 400 wats to run it lol, then a year later, only needed 250 wats, a 700 or 600 w ps will be fine for anything pretty much, unless you have Tons of components, extra stuff, i dunno. but you should be good
IMO and from my experience, i was only a Hardware tech, i wasn't much about software or specs , i put pc's together thats about it. installed windows lol

Solution
Aug 26, 2020
Depends entirely on the quality of the power supply. If it's some random brand most people have never heard of, chances are it's not going to work all too well. PSU wattage reccomendation for the 3070 is 650w though and nvidia are usually quite over the top in their reccomendations. If it's a reputable brand, it'll work fine.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
What was that Kokolink hmmmm. You might toast your shiny 1300 dollar 3080 card. The PSU might have weak ampage on the 12v rail for a beast like that even a 2080Ti. However if your currenty card is a 2080Ti the by all means I think youll be fine with your existing PSU. 😲💯🤷‍♀️🏝🚓👩‍🦲✌

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Somehow you got a lot of answers that they don't even have enough information to make.

The watts recommend by the manufacturer has absolutely nothing to do with what is needed.

Nobody can even begin to answer your question without knowing the rest of the parts in your PC.

Will a 700 watt PSU run a RTX 3070 yes with ease, will it run it with the rest of your PC parts nobody knows.

Reactions: Juan_Bijero

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Not all PSU's are equal in quality. You could have a 1000W PSU in your system that fails as soon as a heavy load is put on it if it's cheap junk where a top quality 700W could give you years of good service before it becomes an issue. Watts is not the only thing to consider when buying a PSU. You never want to skimp on the PSU because if it fails, it can take your whole system out of the game permanently.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
A average system takes up 140w idle and about 380 to 450w total load with a 2080Ti beast at 100 percent load along with CPU. You need head room so for a 2080Ti I would say 650w quality PSU would be enough. For a 3070 I would stick to that. Even 80+ Bronze Rating doesn't mean it is a bad PSU. Just look out for warranty. As for your PSU we don't know what vendor or model it is. It could be a really cheapo 700watt PSU which in turn can hurt components or possibly hurt the GPU and what not. 🖐💯🤷‍♀️👶☮✝

Sep 13, 2020
It is not easily answered without knowing more about the rest of your system. Is it overclocked? How many HDDs / SSD do you run? Your mentioned PSU is severely on the poor side and I would replace asap. Not because of power issues but because of quality. Three things will kill your PC, poor and and cheap motherboards, poor cooling solution and a poor PSU. I do not understand why people spend hundreds of dollars on CPU and GPU but skimp on mobo and PSU. Yes you do not see the benefit in terms of fps but have you ever asked yourself why business grade equipment is more expensive than consumer grade?

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020
NVIDIA recommends a 650W PSUfor the RTX 3070, but if you're currently working with, say, a 600W PSU it will work fine. BUTTT it depends what other components you have in the system .

NVIDIA recommends a 650W PSUfor the RTX 3070, but if you're currently working with, say, a 600W PSU it will work fine. BUTTT it depends what other components you have in the system .
They say 650w when using a 10900k, a cpu capable of taking 250W+. This is what they say;

“2 - Recommendation is made based on PC configured with an Intel Core i9-10900K processor. A lower power rating may work depending on system configuration.”

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Hope this will give an idea what yiu might be good with. Main thing is quality PSU.
I cuurently have my system bellow and looking to buy RTX 3070 without replacing my PSU:
2x 16gb RAM
512GB nvme
Ryzen 5 3600
3x fans
RTX 2060 super
Corsair 600 Platinum
Mini ATX

My current load wattage does not exceed 400w. It seems I have extra headroom to accommodate additional 45wats. There for I think my PSU is more than enough for 3070.

Last edited:
Reactions: PrinceTexasLoaf
Status
Not open for further replies.