Question RTX 3070 Utilization low in multiple games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 10, 2022
Hey all! I have a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 (EVGA 8GB) and the GPU usage is always low in games even when uncapped, and I get low frames as a result. For example, in FFXIV on all max, I get around 70 FPS but it only uses about 28% of GPU despite no frame limit being set. I have the same issue with PSO2 - Uncapped FPS but it only uses like 43% of the GPU max and it goes to 80 - 90 FPS. I get similar results in other games. I've tried updating my drivers, enabling the 4G address thing, the rebar thing, disabling the high precision event timer, reinstalling Windows, nothing changes it. I also set it to Max Performance in the NVidia control panel, nothing.

System Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Steel Legend ATX AM4 Motherboard
RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (x2)
OS Drive: Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Pixio PX248 Prime 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor

UserBenchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/50379771

Last edited:
A GPU can only draw the frames provided by the CPU.
Simple basic example.
The CPU draws a "wire frame".
This wire frame has all of the polygon surfaces of every object in the frame.
It then gives the "Wire frame" to the GPU.
The GPU adds surface textures ,colors,light rays, shadows etc......... to the wire frame and sends it to the monitor to display.
You have some very high secondary memory timings. This will slow the CPU down as it waits for memory read/writes.
Ryzen is very memory sensitive. The better the Memory/Timings the better the performance.

If you download the heaven benchmark and run it in demo mode. You can switch to "wire frame" mode and see the frames as the CPU draws it.
https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven