[SOLVED] RTX 3080 at PCIe 4 gddr6x at 19gb/s vs PCIe 3 at 15gb/s

dapogs

Reputable
Oct 24, 2016
Is it possible that the game devs currently at the ps4 era haven't utilized yet the power of 3080? Now hear me out because this might be thread different from other debates of rtx 3xxx on PCIe 4 vs 3. With the ps5 direct access to PCIe 4 NVMe drive and Nvidia IO of "the same" technology, it could be possible that Nvdia's claim for PCIe 4 support on rtx 3xxx is true. PCIe 3 maxes out at roughly 15gb/s but rtx 3080's gddr6x can run at around 19gb/s, does it mean to say that if on PCIe 3, data transfer speeds could bottleneck at PCIe 3? Possibly now at 2020, not just yet. How about when game devs start maximizing the potential of 9th gen consoles and soon ported over to PC, is it possible that they can start utilizing rtx 3xxx use of PCIe 4 with gddr6x of 19gb/s?

Solution
At this point I cannot see too many game devs taking advantage of pcie 4.0 storage. The odd game ‘might’ in the near future have some optional benefit but it won’t be a minimum requirement. It would be mad to develop a game that won’t play well on the vast majority gaming PC’s. Only once pcie 4.0 storage has become more common would I expect to start seeing it utilised in more than a handful of games with NVidia IO.
At this point I cannot see too many game devs taking advantage of pcie 4.0 storage. The odd game ‘might’ in the near future have some optional benefit but it won’t be a minimum requirement. It would be mad to develop a game that won’t play well on the vast majority gaming PC’s. Only once pcie 4.0 storage has become more common would I expect to start seeing it utilised in more than a handful of games with NVidia IO.

Reactions: dapogs
Solution

dapogs

Reputable
Oct 24, 2016
So if Nvdia IO isn't gonna be much of a deal until the next couple of years, probably until RTX 4000 comes out, and the 19gbp/s memory speed altogether, then i guess all benchmarks are correct that there really isn't much of a gain on PCIe4 over PCIe3...which means that the 19gb/s memory speed isn't being maximized, since it's using only 15gb/s (or maybe less) PCIe3 bandwidth?