Question RTX 3080 Bios flash

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
Hi Guys

I recently flashed my Rtx 3080 ventus card to an asus strix bios. MSI afterburner, hw info and Gpuz are reporting a power draw of 400 watt. Does this seem accurate??

my card is a 2 x8 pin card with a 320 watt limit from factory from msi, while the strix is 400watt. It seems highly unlikely it’s able to draw 400 watts just from a bios flash, however that’s what is being reported. I just want to know if this telemetry is fed through by the bios or if there’s actually a sensor calculating wattage?

I was also able to overclock higher by 100mhz after the upgrade, however even this seems artificial.

Lutfij

Titan
You do realize that both cards are not from the same brand (and essentially they are also not designed the same way) right? I'd revert to the stock VBIOS for your MSI card if I were you. If something does end up going awry, when RMA'ing they can deny you said RMA since you flashed the wrong VBIOS on the right card(i.e, it didn't come that way from the factory).

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
You do realize that both cards are not from the same brand (and essentially they are also not designed the same way) right? I'd revert to the stock VBIOS for your MSI card if I were you. If something does end up going awry, when RMA'ing they can deny you said RMA since you flashed the wrong VBIOS on the right card(i.e, it didn't come that way from the factory).
Yep I’m aware, I’m fine with the risk, its warranty is void anyway as it’s in a custom loop. I just want to know if the reported wattage is accurate.

If you care to share it, out of curiosity whats you final goal here?

Im asking cause even if you can get extra ~200MHz you are not going to see anything higher than +2~10 FPS (and the top +10 will only happend, if it happend at all, in very limited scenarios of resolution+cpu power+graphic settings).

Cheers

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
Or
If you care to share it, out of curiosity whats you final goal here?

Im asking cause even if you can get extra ~200MHz you are not going to see anything higher than +2~10 FPS (and the top +10 will only happend, if it happend at all, in very limited scenarios of resolution+cpu power+graphic settings).

Cheers
Of course, no real goal just an avid overclocked/enthusiast. I’m just having trust issues believing those stats. I posted on reddit as well, got a suggestion to benchmark before and after so might do that, though it still won’t answer my question regarding the wattage readings