Question RTX 3080 card no HDMI signal

Dec 2, 2023
I have a Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 graphics card, it's about a year old, and was working up until a few days ago. Now it no longer gives any HDMI signal. But plugging the HDMI cable into the motherboard HDMI port does work.

• The motherboard is a MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4, and I am running Windows 11.
  • The power supply is an 850W Thermaltake, so should be sufficient for this card, and previously the graphics card was working with this power supply
  • the lights on the graphics card come on and fan spins
  • the HDMI port on the motherboard works fine
  • I took out the RTX 3080 graphics card, replaced with an old graphics card in the same PCI slot, and the HDMI port on the old graphics card works
  • Next I put the RTX 3080 back in, still not working
  • The HDMI cable was old, so I bought a new HDMI 2.0 cable, didn't help, RTX 3080 still not working with new cable
  • The new HDMI cable works if plugged directly into the motherboard, the cable also works on laptop to TV
  • next I checked "device manager", under "display adapters", it lists both the motherboard "Intel(R) UHD Graphics 770" and the "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080". According to device manager "This device is working properly" for both.
  • next I tried disabling and re-enabling the "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080" graphics card in device manager, this did not resolve the problem. It did however make the screen go black for a second when I disabled the RTX 3080, even though I was plugged in to the motherboard HDMI port (which I did not disable), not sure if that is normal or not.
  • next I tried "update driver" from device manager, but device manager reports the drivers are already up to date
  • the driver was over a year old, so I checked NVIDIA's site, seems device manager was wrong, the driver was not up to date. I downloaded the latest drivers from NVIDAI's site and installed. Driver date is now 9th Nov 2023. But this did not help, still no signal from the graphics card HDMI port
  • I looked in windows task manager and under "performance" I see 2 GPUs ("GPU 2" and "GPU 3"). GPU 2 is "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080" and GPU 3 is "Intel(R) UHD Graphics 770". There is no "GPU 1" listed (I don't recall whether it has always been like this or not). I'm not sure why Windows doesn't start counting from GPU 1, maybe windows can't count, or could be a hint that something went wrong? I think it is meant to start counting from "GPU 0". Update: 30 minutes later, it is now showing "GPU 0" and "GPU 1", "GPU 2" and "GPU 3" are now gone. The motherboard GPU is 0, and the RTX 3080 is 1. But still no signal from the RTX 3080 port.
  • The graphs in task manager for both GPUs show activity, currently the RTX 3080 is sitting at 6% utilization (and the % does fluctuate) and the Intel motherboard GPU at 4% utilization. The temperature of the RTX 3080 is currently 41*C, was 37*C earlier, so seems to be communicating with the computer
  • I then checked "event viewer", but couldn't see anything that seemed to be related to graphics card. There was an entry about windows fast boot failing. Possibly due to a power outage. Computer was shutdown before the power outage, but still plugged in at the wall. Power was off for a few hours. The graphics card HDMI was working prior to the power outage and not working after the power outage. Not sure if this could cause any issues with graphics card or CMOS battery (the motherboard is only a year old, not sure how long the CMOS should last without power)? I have since disabled windows fast boot. From what I understand fast boot is not too useful for SSDs
  • Attempting to get into the BIOS was not possible. If I restart computer with the HDMI cable in graphics card, it just says no signal. If I restart with the HDMI cable plugged in to motherboard, it says no signal, up until the point where the computer has started and Windows takes over and shows the logon screen. Previously it would show the MSI logo when booting, now it just says no HDMI signal until it gets to Windows logon. So even if I get into the BIOS I can't see anything on the screen.
Does anyone have any ideas?
thanks

I have a Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 graphics card, it's about a year old, and was working up until a few days ago. Now it no longer gives any HDMI signal. But plugging the HDMI cable into the motherboard HDMI port does work.

• The motherboard is a MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4, and I am running Windows 11.
  • The power supply is an 850W Thermaltake, so should be sufficient for this card, and previously the graphics card was working with this power supply
  • the lights on the graphics card come on and fan spins
  • the HDMI port on the motherboard works fine
  • I took out the RTX 3080 graphics card, replaced with an old graphics card in the same PCI slot, and the HDMI port on the old graphics card works
  • Next I put the RTX 3080 back in, still not working
  • The HDMI cable was old, so I bought a new HDMI 2.0 cable, didn't help, RTX 3080 still not working with new cable
  • The new HDMI cable works if plugged directly into the motherboard, the cable also works on laptop to TV
  • next I checked "device manager", under "display adapters", it lists both the motherboard "Intel(R) UHD Graphics 770" and the "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080". According to device manager "This device is working properly" for both.
  • next I tried disabling and re-enabling the "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080" graphics card in device manager, this did not resolve the problem. It did however make the screen go black for a second when I disabled the RTX 3080, even though I was plugged in to the motherboard HDMI port (which I did not disable), not sure if that is normal or not.
  • next I tried "update driver" from device manager, but device manager reports the drivers are already up to date
  • the driver was over a year old, so I checked NVIDIA's site, seems device manager was wrong, the driver was not up to date. I downloaded the latest drivers from NVIDAI's site and installed. Driver date is now 9th Nov 2023. But this did not help, still no signal from the graphics card HDMI port
  • I looked in windows task manager and under "performance" I see 2 GPUs ("GPU 2" and "GPU 3"). GPU 2 is "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080" and GPU 3 is "Intel(R) UHD Graphics 770". There is no "GPU 1" listed (I don't recall whether it has always been like this or not). I'm not sure why Windows doesn't start counting from GPU 1, maybe windows can't count, or could be a hint that something went wrong? I think it is meant to start counting from "GPU 0". Update: 30 minutes later, it is now showing "GPU 0" and "GPU 1", "GPU 2" and "GPU 3" are now gone. The motherboard GPU is 0, and the RTX 3080 is 1. But still no signal from the RTX 3080 port.
  • The graphs in task manager for both GPUs show activity, currently the RTX 3080 is sitting at 6% utilization (and the % does fluctuate) and the Intel motherboard GPU at 4% utilization. The temperature of the RTX 3080 is currently 41*C, was 37*C earlier, so seems to be communicating with the computer
  • I then checked "event viewer", but couldn't see anything that seemed to be related to graphics card. There was an entry about windows fast boot failing. Possibly due to a power outage. Computer was shutdown before the power outage, but still plugged in at the wall. Power was off for a few hours. The graphics card HDMI was working prior to the power outage and not working after the power outage. Not sure if this could cause any issues with graphics card or CMOS battery (the motherboard is only a year old, not sure how long the CMOS should last without power)? I have since disabled windows fast boot. From what I understand fast boot is not too useful for SSDs
  • Attempting to get into the BIOS was not possible. If I restart computer with the HDMI cable in graphics card, it just says no signal. If I restart with the HDMI cable plugged in to motherboard, it says no signal, up until the point where the computer has started and Windows takes over and shows the logon screen. Previously it would show the MSI logo when booting, now it just says no HDMI signal until it gets to Windows logon. So even if I get into the BIOS I can't see anything on the screen.
Does anyone have any ideas?
thanks
Looks like dead GPU.

Dec 2, 2023
Umm, try Displayport instead? Doesn't look like you tried that in any of your steps.
My screen doesn't have displayport, but I will see if I can get a displayport to hdmi adapter and try that.

it may be a driver related issue to me, try these steps to see if it works again:

1: Download DDU, run it and select GPU\Nvidia option
2: Select Clean and Restart option
3: Go to https://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx and download the latest game ready driver (it's 546.17 as of this date)
4: Install it and restart your system
I tried these steps just now, but unfortunately no luck

Also, there are 34 "Thermaltake 850W" PSUs, ranging from very good quality to very poor quality. Be specific. It will tell us a lot about the likelihood of the GPU being dead.
The PSU is "Thermaltake (ToughPower GF1 850W) 80+Plus Gold Fully Modular Power Supply (PS-TPD-0850FNFAGA-1)"

Dec 2, 2023
Umm, try Displayport instead? Doesn't look like you tried that in any of your steps.
ok so I got a displayport to hdmi adapter, plugged into the display port on the graphics card, and it works.

So I suppose it is a dead hdmi port? And not much can be done, except replace the card, or continue to use the displayport, i.e. not a driver or software issue that could be causing it?

thanks all for the help

TRENDING THREADS