Question RTX 3080: Flickering on top of screen using DP

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strigoil

Honorable
Jul 2, 2015
Got the card yesterday, having issues with flickering at the top of any of my 3 monitors connected to any of the cards port via DP, works perfectly fine through HDMI. shown in the video.

View: https://i.imgur.com/qWYRLYv.mp4

Specs:
GPU: MSI 3080 Gaming X Trio
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170x-Gaming 7
CPU: i7-6700k
PSU: Corsair HX850i
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsV DDR4-2800 C15 QC - 32GB
Monitors: 3x Benq GW2765HT

The system needs an upgrade to not bottleneck the card, I know..I have all the parts needed just waiting for the new Ryzen CPUs to drop.
Card also runs games with no problems, performs as expected with my bottlenecks.
Everything works perfectly when I put my RTX 2070s back in.

What I have tried so far is fresh driver installs several times, reseating the GPU / power cables, plugged the computer to the wallsocket instead of the surge protector to rule out an overload there.
It happens on all 3 monitors, regardless of what DP cable or DP socket I use on the card, if I run all 3 or just 1. it also happens in the BIOS so that makes me very suspicious I have a lemon on my hands.,

What is odd is when I use my display port to HDMI adapter and plug it into a DP socket on my card and them the HDMI to the monitor, the issue does not happen, but the adapter is an oldie so only runs at 1080p, changing resolution on the screens when running full DP to 1080p does not help.
I'm not daisy chaining my PSU power either, 3 seperate PCI-E power cables.

The flickering does seem to happen more rapidly when the GPU clocks up in a game but I can't say for sure if it's the clocking or just random.

I see some people have had flickering/black screen issues who have fixed it by turning G-sync/Freesync off but my screens don't support it so its a non issue.
Anyone have any ideas for something I might not have tried?

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020
What a maddening response from Nvidia! Also running the latest BIOS (f5c) on a Gigabyte z490m Gaming X board, the problem is surely not motherboard BIOS related.

Strigoil

Honorable
Jul 2, 2015
What a maddening response from Nvidia! Also running the latest BIOS (f5c) on a Gigabyte z490m Gaming X board, the problem is surely not motherboard BIOS related.

It is indeed an odd response, thank you for supplying your MB info hopefully it helps.
For transparency about my communications with Nvidia I will supply the logs with names omitted in a spoiler, my responses in bold theirs in normal.

I'll keep everyone updated as things progress.

Hello, I recieved my 3080 10 days ago as of the sending of this message.

Immediately I noticed flickering at the top of my monitor as shown in the attached BenQFlicker.mp4
This flickering is not happening and has never happened on my Geforce 2070 Super.

At first I was worried I had a defective graphics card so I started troubleshooting, I found out it only happens on Displayport, on all 3 ports from the card on all 3 of my monitors, I tested it with 5 different cables in all 3 ports and all 3 monitors, the problem does not occur through HDMI.

I went into my BIOS and the problem also happens there, this rules out any software issues in windows that could cause this, the next step was to test it in a friends computer, I did and there was no problem so I then thought there must be an issue with my computer that manifests itself with the 3080.

I have done several full clean driver installs, reseated the card several times, made sure my PSU cables work and are seated properly. I was using the newest driver at the time and have for now stopped using the card, from what others have experienced the 465.71 drivers have not helped. My monitor does not have Gsync or Freesync so it was not caused by this issue.

I put a post up on Tomshardware and the other day another person chimed in, he has two monitors and one of them is the same brand and model as mine and has the same flickering issue down to the pixel and his other monitor does not, his issue is also only through Displayport. His issue is shown in BenQ Flicker 2.mp4. Changing to HDMI also fixed his problem.

The monitor we both have is Benq GW2765HT, I have 3x of this monitor and the issue is the same on all 3.

At that point it feels like we have it down to an issue with with the specific monitor or panel, I have also sent a message to BenQ about this and am waiting for a response.

Yesterday another person chimed in with a flickering issue, his was a bit worse than what we had and was on an ASUS PB277Q, it also resolves itself when he plugs it into the HDMI, however he was able to sort it by changing Displayport mode from 1.1 to 1.2 on his monitor, mine also has this option but is default to 1.2 and changing made no difference, his issue is shown in ASUSFlicker.mp4.

So it seems to not only happen on one monitor, but this is definitely an issue happening between some monitors through the displayport signal, and as more people get these cards I am sure more reports of it will come in, considering this is likely to affect the entire line of monitors of the type that I own as I have 3 examples of it and found another example.

I looked for similarities between the BenQ I have and the ASUS of the third person and found this:
The panel is made by AU Optronics and are not the same panel, but going from the panel model they could be in the same panel family as they are differentiated by only one letter, the BenQ is IPS and the ASUS is TN, so I assume that that letter signifies.

BenQ Panel Model: M270DAN01.0
Asus Panel Model: M270DTN01.?

At this point I have very little doubt that there is some correlation here and it would be quite bad if entire lineup of monitors based on a panel or possibly another specification that should on paper work with the 3080 ends up not working, I ask of you what I asked of BenQ to look into it and see if this is something that could possibly be fixed on a software level.

-------

Hello *,

Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care

This is ****, I will be assisting you in troubleshooting the issue that you are experiencing, and I will be working with you to address your concerns as quickly as possible.

From the e-mail description, I understand that you are facing flickering issues with the Display ports on your GPU.
Firstly, we apologize for the inconvenience caused due to this issue.

Thank you for the detailed and in depth analysis and troubleshooting that you have already performed, it does helps us a lot and I appreciate it.

We can definitely have the issue escalated and checked. However, before that I would need some log files from your system.

I would need to check the system information file of your computer, please help us with the System Information File. Follow the below steps to create System Information File:

a) Press Windows Logo Key + R.

b) Type MSInfo32 and press Enter.

c) This will bring up the Microsoft System Information Utility, click File, then Save as.

d) When the Save As window appears, choose Desktop and save to your hard drive. You may give it any name you choose, but with a '.nfo' file extension

e) Once the file has been saved on your hard drive, attach it to this support request so that we may review your system configuration.

Also, Please provide us the EDID information by running the tool on your monitor. To obtain information about your display, please carry out the following steps.

a). Please download the Monitor Asset Manager utility from the web page at:

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm and install the same

b) Launch the utility and in the Monitor Asset Manager window click on File---save report as

c) Then Save report as window will come up.

Supply a suitable name in the File name text box and Click on the Save button to save the monitor information. You can then mail us the above files. Do this with all the 3 monitors connected.

Looking forward for your response.

Best Regards,

NVIDIA Customer Care.

----------

Hello ****, thank you for the quick response.

I have done everything you asked and hopefully done it correctly, files are attached as you requested.
This is all done without the 3080 connected mind you.

I have an additional thing to add that I forgot in the initial message, when I use a displayport to HDMI adapter the problem also seems to go away, I tried this with an old adapter that can only do 1080 but I have some active adapters rated for higher coming in next week that I will test on. It does seem that if the signal is converted to HDMI the signal becomes stable even if it originates from Displayport.

---------

Hello ***,

Thanks for the update.

I am sorry, I should have been more clear. I would need you to generate the reports with your RTX 3080 installed. As we would need the logs with the card installed. This will allow us to figure out what is causing the issue, and debug it if necessary.

Once again, I apologize for making you do it again. But it is required.

Looking forward to your update.

Best Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care

---------

Thats fine **,

I will do this in a few days when I get my adapters, that way I can put the card in permanently and use it with the adapters after I have supplied your info, hope that is ok.

---------

Hello **

Thanks for the update.

Sure, that would be fine. You can contact us back, and mention the reference number for this case # *** in your email. We will close this case for now, as it will get closed automatically within 72 hours.

Shortly you will receive a survey email from NVIDIA. Please participate in this short survey and provide me your valuable feedback by rating my service on a scale of 1 - 10 (10 is the highest score and 1 is the least). I realize that your time is extremely valuable and I appreciate your feedback.

“Survey rating below 8 indicates your dissatisfaction over the assistance that you have received by me. If that's the case; please let me know and I shall fix it right away.”

Please feel free to contact us for further assistance, we would be more than happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care

---------

As requested by the previous customer rep I talked to I would like to reopen case #*

You can read the full extent of the issue there, it took me a while to get back about this because of some serious delays in the postal system so I didn't get the parts I needed to permanently install the card again.

I am supplying the bin and nfo files as requested, one of the bin files have a monitor connected through HDMI which works, two through DisplayPort which has the bug.

Since then I have gotten several replies of people with the same issue on the exact same monitor as me on my topic at Tomshardware, I will supply a link at the end of this if you wish to look.

It does however seem my theory about this being a panel family issue is debunked as someone with an ASUS PB278 arrived showing the exact same issue with the exact same issue, this monitor uses a Samsung panel from what I know, he has a video in the TomsHardware topic.

Videocardz.com also tweeted about my topic and we got one person with the same problem on a BenQ monitor there as well.

This now provides us with a few samples of the same monitor displaying down to the pixel the same flickering on DisplayPort which is solved with the same solution, using the HDMI port or a Displayport to HDMI Adapter

Tom's Hardware Topic: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-on-top-of-screen-using-dp.3650406/?view=date

Monitors currently displaying the issue:
BenQ GW2765HT
Asus PB278

--------

Hello ***,

Thanks for the update.

I just went through your previous notes, and one thing that caught my eye was "I went into my BIOS and the problem also happens there", which I had missed last time. Now, if the issue is happening in the BIOS screen as well, and also with the conclusive fact that the issue does not happen on your friend system. It looks like the issue could be due to your Motherboard itself.

BIOS is a firmware on your Motherboard, which is independent from not only your windows but also any other hardware on your system, including GPU. Only, RAM and Processor can cause issue on BIOS screen, but definitely not the GPU.

Upon checking your system information, I found that your BIOS is very out dated, in fact it goes back to 2015. I would request you to get your BIOS updated. Also, contact the motherboard manufacturer once, and get their insight on this issue. Inform them that you are having issues on BIOS screen as well.

Looking forward for your response.

Best Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care.

-------

Hello, I appreciate the feedback about the MB BIOS and I had thought about it before, I don't think it would be the issue as I now have so many examples of people who can replicate the problem 100% across different systems and it is specific to certain monitors, all but 1 report of the exact same flicker being on this model of BenQ.

I am building an entirely new computer that will be done in a few weeks once the new Ryzen CPUs release, and I expect the problem to be replicated there. If not for this I would update my BIOS to test but I rather not mess with my system too much at this point, as I also find it highly unlikely to be the issue.

And while it showing in BIOS proves it is not an issue with the GPU Driver, it does not exclude a hardware issue or GPU BIOS Issue, in fact back in 2018 Nvidia did a BIOS update to the Maxwell and Pascal architectures to support DIsplayport 1.4 and 1.3.

Further the fact that the problem is fixed when one changes to HDMI or converts the DisplayPort signal to HDMI with an adapter to me further points towards an issue with the card sending stable DP signals to certain monitors or panels, or connections. Of course I can not dismiss that this could be a problem on the monitor manufacturers side.

I have one update where a forum user did some testing and I replicated it with same results.
Creating a custom resolution in Nvidia Control Panel and setting the FPS to 59 instead of 60 makes the flicker happen less often, but makes it appear on the bottom half of the screen instead of the top one. This further suggests to me that this is linked to the GPU and not motherboard.

While of course I can not totally dismiss your claims about an outdated MB BIOS I hope you consider how unlikely it is considering how replicated this issue now is across different users.

Thank you.

--------

Hello ***, Thanks for the update. No, that is highly unlikely. BIOS is the main firmware of the motherboard, if it outdated, it can cause issues with any hardware component connected to it. We cannot completely rule it out, until and unless we know its the latest version.
Also, the reason I don't feel its the cards, is due to the fact that it works absolutely fine on your friends system. Which means the DP port are sending across the signal fine. If it was an issue with the DP port, it would have done the same with any other monitor. Also, the previous issue with DP 1.3 and 1.4 has already been fixed from our end, with the firmware update, and it was a known issue. However, here I can confirm that the issue you are facing is not a known issue or a Bug, or else there would already have been a bug reported. So, that brings us down to only to probable suspects. Either your Board or the Monitor. And I agree with your theory of it being an issue with the monitor itself, however we cannot comment much on it, as its not our product and may be the monitor manufacturer would have better understanding about it. This is supported by the fact that other users are facing similiar issue, however we do not have any data to confirm if they are running with the BIOS updated to the latest version aswell. However, if you are not comfortable updating the BIOS, you can wait till you setup your new system. Menawhile, you can get in touch with the monitor Manufacturer and have them check this aswell. Please feel free to contact us for further assistance, we would be more than happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care

--------

Hello again,

So, I am aware the DP 1.3 and 1.4 issue is already fixed, it was simply an example of how issues can be outside of the driver and still be GPU related.

This may as you and I both agree on be a monitor manufacturer issue, but it seems to affect different manufacturers and different panel families, the problem was introduced with your series of cards and is not present in any other series and so I would argue the responsibility lies with you to either fix it on your end or on you to contact these manufacturers and have them push a firmware update for the monitors to fix it.

You say it is not a known issue or bug, that may be but I counted and I so far have collected testimonies of 9 people who have the exact same problem, the flickering behaves in the exact same manner and the workaround is the exact same. I have more flickering reports but they are not exactly the same so I am not counting them. It is a possibility a lot of people just return the cards as faulty instead of reporting it to you, also with the relatively low amount of 3000 series card that have managed to ship out there is not a massive sample rate of people that end up taking the time to troubleshoot and report the issue, especially as it seems to only affect certain monitors.

The monitors so far recorded as affected are these:
BenQ GW2765
Asus PB278
BenQ BL2420-T

The majority of reports I have gotten are on the GW2765, the rest are singular.

Because of your claim that it would be my outdated BIOS or some other hardware issue I asked people what motherboard and BIOS they have, I have so far gotten 2 replies and they both have newer MBs than me with the latest BIOS updates and still experience the issue.

So far I have spent a lot of time to troubleshoot this and rally people with the same problem, several of them were about to RMA or return their cards to the vendor as defective when they found my topic, I have effectively saved you and your partners returns, I have also spent money on adapters for the workaround for this at no small expense to make sure I am reporting properly and so that I am able to use the card.

Now, I understand your job is to exhaust other options before escalating an issue and my outdated BIOS raised a flag for you, but I feel I have proven your hypothesis wrong and with my not insignificant samples of other people with the same issue, and the fact they have newer hardware and BIOS.

You can chose this as your hill to fight me on, I can wait for the weeks it will take before my new CPU releases so I can build my system and I can come back then with the same issue, but when I do I will make sure it is reflected in my review of the support given, considering the considerable effort I have put into troubleshooting the issue and gathering testimonies.

I apologize for the slightly more hostile tone in this response, but I do not appreciate being given textbook "Have you turned it off and on again" responses to problems like this that I have detailed so well.

Please read and understand the report in its entirety and get back to me with your decision.

Reactions: Jethozo

Kotcha

Reputable
Oct 29, 2020
Hi all!
I couldn't believe it when I read this thread.
I just got a new Asus RTX 3070 Dual 08G, plugged it in and started getting a flicker on the top left corner of my screen. I checked everything I could, when I run a game full throttle the card handles it just fine but still getting the flicker.
So since I have 3 screens, 1440p DP (BenQ GW2765HT), 1080p DP Asus and a 4K HDMI Samsung TV I tried swapping around the DP cables and slots on the GPU but still the same issue ONLY on the BenQ monitor.
Finally I found this thread, put the HDMI from the TV to the BenQ and no problems :D
I'd still like this to be fixed but don't know how, if there is any way I can help with the report @Strigoil let me know!
I have a z170 Gaming M5 MSI MB (maybe outdated BIOS), Intel i7 6700K OC@4.4Ghz, 32gb of Ram, and a 650W Seasonic semi modular PSU (i'm using one cable to power the GPU and it splits into 2x8 pins. I was using this for 4 years on my GTX 1080 and never had issues).
You can reach out on Kotcha#2222 on Discord if you need more info!
I hope Nvidia and BenQ tackles this. BTW I can confirm it also happens when I boot on the BIOS so unlikely a driver issue.

Strigoil

Honorable
Jul 2, 2015
Hi all!
I couldn't believe it when I read this thread.
I just got a new Asus RTX 3070 Dual 08G, plugged it in and started getting a flicker on the top left corner of my screen. I checked everything I could, when I run a game full throttle the card handles it just fine but still getting the flicker.
So since I have 3 screens, 1440p DP (BenQ GW2765HT), 1080p DP Asus and a 4K HDMI Samsung TV I tried swapping around the DP cables and slots on the GPU but still the same issue ONLY on the BenQ monitor.
Finally I found this thread, put the HDMI from the TV to the BenQ and no problems :D
I'd still like this to be fixed but don't know how, if there is any way I can help with the report @Strigoil let me know!
I have a z170 Gaming M5 MSI MB (maybe outdated BIOS), Intel i7 6700K OC@4.4Ghz, 32gb of Ram, and a 650W Seasonic semi modular PSU (i'm using one cable to power the GPU and it splits into 2x8 pins. I was using this for 4 years on my GTX 1080 and never had issues).
You can reach out on Kotcha#2222 on Discord if you need more info!
I hope Nvidia and BenQ tackles this. BTW I can confirm it also happens when I boot on the BIOS so unlikely a driver issue.

Hello and thank you for reporting in, we actually have the same chipset and Processor :D Just I have a gigabyte MB

I'm glad my workaround worked for you as well, I was actually interested in seeing if I would get any reports of 3070s doing this, I think we can safely say the entire lineup is affected then.

Unrelated to the issue, It might be ok on the 3070 but if you are able to I'd definitely use seperate power cables for each connection, I don't THINK the 3070 goes above what the cables are rated for but I know 3080 and 90 does, and all the companies say you should use seperate as well.

Kotcha

Reputable
Oct 29, 2020
Hello and thank you for reporting in, we actually have the same chipset and Processor :D Just I have a gigabyte MB

I'm glad my workaround worked for you as well, I was actually interested in seeing if I would get any reports of 3070s doing this, I think we can safely say the entire lineup is affected then.

Unrelated to the issue, It might be ok on the 3070 but if you are able to I'd definitely use seperate power cables for each connection, I don't THINK the 3070 goes above what the cables are rated for but I know 3080 and 90 does, and all the companies say you should use seperate as well.
Thanks for the tip! I'll probably try to get a second cable I'm just not sure how to do it properly so I'll wait for my friend who set up my PC 4 years ago to help me over video chat :D
It seems indeed all the lineup is affected. It's been 2 hours now since I've switched to HDMI and no issues. Such a strange thing.

Reactions: Strigoil
Oct 31, 2020
Hi guys,
Glad to find this thread.
I just installed 2 x Gigabyte 3090 Turbo's, and I have 2 x BenQ GW2765's, both of which are flickering in the top corner as per most of you.
Can confirm switching to HDMI does clear the issue. Notch another case of exactly the same issue up on the board.

Oct 8, 2020
Hey, thank you for reporting in with another monitor that has the issue.

I just heard back from nvidia and they are making the claim that the issue must be because of my outdated motherboard BIOS, while true it is outdated, I am building a new system that will be done in 2 ish weeks and don't want to start risking messing up this one right now so I'm not updating.
I tried to explain to them how unlikely it is considering how much we have replicated the issue across different systems but they are doubling down on it, saying that because it happens in BIOS it can not be a problem with the card.

Now, I can't say that they are wrong in their claim but I really doubt this is the problem, but they likely won't accept what I have to say before I have my new system and replicate the bug.

Would you mind telling me what motherboard you have and what bios update you have? I hope people who posted having the issue earlier in the topic could also come back and do the same, it would really help.

Sorry I had completely forgotten about this thread. I doubt it is board related (all 3 different GPUs I have tried have been fine except the 3080) but for reference mine is an ASUS X470 Crosshair VII.

I switched back to using DP on the BenQ for a bit after updating to 457.09 to see if this made any difference (the colours via HDMI are terrible on these monitors), still flickering at the top but I also noticed the display driver would randomly crash at some points (for some reason when I scroll through Facebook and random videos start to play, then the display driver crashes very consistently). Sometimes when it crashes the flickering on the BenQ will go into overdrive and be a garbled mess until I reboot; at which point it goes back to the usual levels of flicker - I will try to get an example of this recorded.
All of these problems disappear as soon as I go back to HDMI again - really odd.

I have also opened a case with Nvidia as well - I'm sure if enough people report the issue then they will look into it so I'll let you know how far I get as well.

Last edited:

Strigoil

Honorable
Jul 2, 2015
Sorry I had completely forgotten about this thread. I doubt it is board related (all 3 different GPUs I have tried have been fine except the 3080) but for reference mine is an ASUS X470 Crosshair VII.

I switched back to using DP on the BenQ for a bit after updating to 457.09 to see if this made any difference (the colours via HDMI are terrible on these monitors), still flickering at the top but I also noticed the display driver would randomly crash at some points (for some reason when I scroll through Facebook and random videos start to play, then the display driver crashes very consistently). Sometimes when it crashes the flickering on the BenQ will go into overdrive and be a garbled mess until I reboot; at which point it goes back to the usual levels of flicker - I will try to get an example of this recorded.
All of these problems disappear as soon as I go back to HDMI again - really odd.

I have also opened a case with Nvidia as well - I'm sure if enough people report the issue then they will look into it so I'll let you know how far I get as well.

Thank you for the feedback, I'll make sure to add this to my next response to nvidia, after trying to push a false reason and solution onto me and me getting rather firm with them they have stopped replying so quickly, last I got was try an old driver that fixed gsync monitors flickering, entirely useless of course but I rolled back anyway to please them, not heard anything since, will get on their case soon.

Oct 8, 2020
Thank you for the feedback, I'll make sure to add this to my next response to nvidia, after trying to push a false reason and solution onto me and me getting rather firm with them they have stopped replying so quickly, last I got was try an old driver that fixed gsync monitors flickering, entirely useless of course but I rolled back anyway to please them, not heard anything since, will get on their case soon.

They did get back to me and asked me to try the driver version 456.98 - same thing, no change. I have replied and I can expect we'll both receive similar responses soon...

Nov 8, 2020
Hey i ran into this problem. I was using a Asus 3080 TUF with an Asus 27 inch monitor. HDMI worked fine, but DP had a bunch of issues with flickering.

I changed the refresh rate from 75hz to 60 hz and it resolved the issue for me. I thought i would share.

Nov 9, 2020
Hi all, add me to the list, just got a 3080 FE same issue on a BenQ GW2765, tried changing to 59Hz but this actually made it worse.

PC Specs:
Strix X570-F
R7 3800X
32Gb DDR4 3200
3080 FE

I should also note using the HDMI resolves it.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020
Hi all, add me to the list, just got a 3080 FE same issue on a BenQ GW2765, tried changing to 59Hz but this actually made it worse.

PC Specs:
Strix X570-F
R7 3800X
32Gb DDR4 3200
3080 FE

I should also note using the HDMI resolves it.
I had the same problem with a triple monitor set up whereby one of the monitors would flicker although it was only the task bar. All were connected by dp and changing the ports and cables around would not stop the flicker on that same monitor. To resolve it I had to use a hdmi cable to that monitor. Decided it was time anyway to get a wide screen monitor and when connecting with a different 4k rated dp cable it was flickering like crazy. I then used the cable supplied with the monitor and it was fine. My problem therefore was the quality of the dp cable I had used - not saying it will work for you but it did for me. It is possible that dp 1.4 requires high quality cables - screen resolution i am using is 5120 x 1440 (49" monitor)

Strigoil

Honorable
Jul 2, 2015
I had the same problem with a triple monitor set up whereby one of the monitors would flicker although it was only the task bar. All were connected by dp and changing the ports and cables around would not stop the flicker on that same monitor. To resolve it I had to use a hdmi cable to that monitor. Decided it was time anyway to get a wide screen monitor and when connecting with a different 4k rated dp cable it was flickering like crazy. I then used the cable supplied with the monitor and it was fine. My problem therefore was the quality of the dp cable I had used - not saying it will work for you but it did for me. It is possible that dp 1.4 requires high quality cables - screen resolution i am using is 5120 x 1440 (49" monitor)

Thank you for the feedback, hopefully that can help some people!

I doubt it is the case with the very specific flicker many of us see here but it's always worth looking into, my experience when I tried it on a friends computer with different screens and cables is that he had no flickering, I also tried his cables on my setup and still had flickering. So in my case it seems like the cable can be ruled out.

Nvidia seem to be ignoring me now, not heard anything in 2 weeks, I sent them a reminder 5 days ago, if they don't get back to me soon I will look into alternative ways of contacting them.

Nov 20, 2020
Made an account so I could chime in. Just installed my 3080 as well and experienced the same flickering as people have been reporting. All updated drivers from GeForce Experience. I followed the advice of changing my monitor DisplayPort Stream to 1.2 and that seems to have fixed it. Card is an EVGA RTX3080 FTW3 Ultra and second monitor is an ASUS PB277Q in case it helps others.

Nov 23, 2020
Hey guys.. I m also got this iisue ) with flickering .. Got new Viewsonic XG270QG and rtx 3080 .. idk what is this , but i hope its software problem . I already change screen to same one , still get this issue ))

Strigoil

Honorable
Jul 2, 2015
Hey guys.. I m also got this iisue ) with flickering .. Got new Viewsonic XG270QG and rtx 3080 .. idk what is this , but i hope its software problem . I already change screen to same one , still get this issue ))

Thank you for reporting in, since this is a new type of monitor with this issue can you confirm that it is the exact same flickering issue? Maybe show a video or gif that I can give to Nvidia support?

Nov 23, 2020

Strigoil

Honorable
Jul 2, 2015
Sure.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xMzGXIW53Q&feature=youtu.be

Video u can check the flickering with g sync, With Radeon 5770 , no issue . But i have 3080 )) and cant use G sync ... Its not normal .

Hmm, there were issues with gsync but there was a driver to fix that so that shouldn't be the issue. Have you tried using HDMI and not DP which has worked for the rest of us? Your flickering doesn't seem to look the same but it could still have the same solution. Tho gsync doesn't work through HDMI I think.

Nov 20, 2020
Made an account so I could chime in. Just installed my 3080 as well and experienced the same flickering as people have been reporting. All updated drivers from GeForce Experience. I followed the advice of changing my monitor DisplayPort Stream to 1.2 and that seems to have fixed it. Card is an EVGA RTX3080 FTW3 Ultra and second monitor is an ASUS PB277Q in case it helps others.

An update on my experience with the flickering. At first the solve worked, changing the monitor's DisplayPort Stream to 1.2 but after gaming with it over the week I noticed that the fix was temporary. When my monitor went to sleep or stand by, the flickering would happen again when it came out from stand by even with the DisplayPort Stream set at 1.2. I had to change the stream back to 1.1 and then back to 1.2 to fix the flickering issue once more. After a couple of days of that annoyance I went ahead and just replaced the DisplayPort cable for a High Speed HDMI so that is definitely the best fix out there for me at least lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.